• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The MRE

Mayhaw Man

gallery_10237_1798_189213.jpg

Here we have my cheerful assistant Graham (his hair was wet from his cold shower, but he was pretty game and I told him to put on a "cooking show" smile-he ended up having a pretty good time) opening the top of the magic green bag. This bag has "magic crystals" (see the link to get a real explanation) that get really hot when they come into contact with a little water. There are designed to be very easy to tear. It would seem that there were no milk carton engineers involved in it's design.

gallery_10237_1798_251885.jpg

Here he is holding the entree component of the dish. This meal had only one (I ran out of Thai Chicken, so we enjoyed ravioli last night, but you'll get the point-and I do have a picture of a plated dish of the chicken) entree. Sometimes there are two things that have to be heated, or as in the case of this one, there was a seperate bag to heat up the delicious cup of Sanka brand coffee.

gallery_10237_1798_177065.jpg

Graham carefully slides the entree into the bag. You have to get it just right, or you will put too much water and burn the hell out of your fingers (hence the usefulness of the much vaunted Gerber tool).

gallery_10237_1798_81575.jpg

Bag loaded and properly adjusted. Ready for heat. Man is this going to be good!

gallery_10237_1798_135030.jpg

Graham adds officially approved Government water. They finally got smart and started handing out gallons. Much more efficient and and easier to deal with at home. Those government guys, they think of everything. You will notice that he has stuffed it back into the multi use box. the directions tell you to do this after you put in the water, but I think it's a misprint. You can really bake your fingers trying to do that. You want to do it first, before you add the water.

gallery_10237_1798_158464.jpg

Once you get done with your meal, you can sit down in your tent, or on your rock, or your roof, and send fanmail to some flounder (reference contest here), as the box doubles as a post card.

gallery_10237_1798_9967.jpg

If you have decent resolution on your computer, you can actually see the steam coming out of the package. These things get hot in about two seconds. You have to quickly fold over the top of the bag and tuck it under the edges of the box, or all the heat comes out of the top. It's harder to do than it sounds.

gallery_10237_1798_214505.jpg

There you have it, fast food fans- a full on US Government certified emergency repast. Here we have Ravioli, stuffed with cheese, and some meaty red sauce-crackers and cheese, fruit cup, a brownie, a cup of coffee. lemon drink, some condiments, a dry nap, a sani wipe, tabasco, sugar, creamer, salt and pepper (these meals are almost devoid of salt, for some reason), and then, so that you don't offend your fellow combatants, a couple of chiclets.

I know, I know, you want some closeups and some of you oriental fans want to see that delicious Thai Chicken. So here they are!

gallery_10237_1798_397525.jpg

Ravioli and cheese on crackers

gallery_10237_1798_268831.jpg

Fruit cup

gallery_10237_1798_161057.jpg

The brownie. It's really pretty good. Really moist and chocolatey. Better than anything out of a box that I have had in a while.

gallery_10237_1798_299571.jpg

Coffee, lemon drink, tabasco, and some Domino Sugar.

Check out the plating on this:

gallery_10237_1793_506239.jpg

Thai Chicken in Sauce

And there you have it, your meal for the evening. These plates were the first real plates that I had gotten out in about 3 weeks or so. It was kind of fun. I will stick photos up as we go, though except for Graham taking them to school, we aren't eating them much now, as I bought a pit with burners on it so that I could cook outside (first gas pit that I have ever owned. I am going to use it like an oven. No meat will ever touch it's ceramic grates. My Weber or my brick pit would never speak to me again if I did that).

So, if you are ever in a bind, just say "MO!" when someone says, "would you rather eat MREs or starve?", They really aren't that bad.

Brooks Hamaker, aka "Mayhaw Man"

There's a train everyday, leaving either way...

As for putting it together, when out in the field, you usually eat in a catch-as-catch-can manner.

The normal manner is as such:

1: Get the MRE issued

2: Open and inspect contents

3: Trade with unsuspecting REMFs and POGEs for the items you want/like and to get rid of the items you don't.

4: Place MRE items in rucksack, pockets, camelback, etc (if on foot)

5: When you have a few minutes where you're not required to do something, eat an item from the MRE.

6: Work

7: Repeat 5 and 6 until MRE is eaten or mission is done.

Sort of sounds like eating pop-tarts at summer camp.

Not a lot of calories in those things for a grown man (or woman for that matter) who is doing physical labor though. You won't get fat on those. :wink:

Is it possible to buy these anywhere? 

We just a state day (yesterday) reminding Californians to plan for emergenices with kits, water, food for pets, etc in the case of an earthquake.  These might be a an easy way to have some food set aside for an emergency kit.  Recommendations around here are to have food and water supplies for 4-5 days.

A possible answer online: click

Q. Can a civilian purchase an MRE?

A. The government doesn't allow the companies that produce MREs to sell the same items to the public, but they can sell civilian versions. The civilian MRE has about 900 calories per meal, compared with the 1,300 calories in a military meal. Civilian menu choices are more limited. Companies that produce them include Sopakco of Greenville, Tenn., and Wornick Co. of McAllen, Texas.

Thanks for the photos MayhawMan. It's nice to hear from you a bit as I know you must be pretty busy.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Sort of sounds like eating pop-tarts at summer camp.

Not a lot of calories in those things for a grown man (or woman for that matter) who is doing physical labor though. You won't get fat on those. :wink:

You're right, you won't get fat on them. However, if you eat three in a day, you are in the realm of 2400-4500 Calories, which is a fairly substantial amount no matter who you are or what you are doing.

Granted, 2400 is at the low end of the scale, and these numbers assume you're eating the WHOLE MRE, but you won't starve.

Also, with Mayhaw Man's comment about there being no salt, if he looks at the nutrition information, those things have plenty of sodium already in there. Really, they do.

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

My dad and mom used to get the entrees from some sporting goods catalog. They stocked them in their travel trailer. These were to be heated by being placed in boiling water, I believe.

Dad was always trying to convince me that I should use them for backpacking food.

He gave me one of the tuna/noodle entrees to try. I'm very glad to see that it has been removed from list. It was some of the nastiest stuff I have ever put in my mouth.

The brownies are very good, though.

Speaking of MREs, Army scientists are working to develop pocket sandwiches, including peanut butter and jelly and pizza flavored ham and cheese, that will keep without refrigeration for three years, reported CBSNews.com. Article

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Once you get done with your meal, you can sit down in your tent, or on your rock, or your roof, and send fanmail to some flounder (reference contest here), as the box doubles as a post card.

"Fanmail from some flounder" -- Rocky and Bullwinkle.

So ... is my prize an MRE brownie? A wee bottle of Tabasco? A warm fuzzy feeling? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Edited by mizducky (log)

Is it possible to buy these anywhere? 

We just a state day (yesterday) reminding Californians to plan for emergenices with kits, water, food for pets, etc in the case of an earthquake.  These might be a an easy way to have some food set aside for an emergency kit.  Recommendations around here are to have food and water supplies for 4-5 days.

This is one link I was saving while I was looking for more info about MREs.

Brooks, although I understand that they're not that bad, I'm still sorry that you had the opportunity to show us what they are. I'm grateful.

They sure beat a can of soup or beans.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

Regarding the brownies, I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but they are available by themselves via mail order. Google "mre heater chemical" without the quotes, and it's about halfway down the first link for a little less than a buck apiece. I may have to order a batch since they come so highly recommended...

And for more info on the chemical heater, see http://science.howstuffworks.com/mre4.htm

It's a surprisingly simple chemical reaction, but damned effective.

Edited to add - My favorite quote from the above article; "...if you grew up like a lot of Americans, eating casseroles, Hamburger Helper and lots of prepared foods out of a can or a jar, then an MRE is a completely normal, completely acceptable meal for you. If, on the other hand, you are the sort of person who prefers a salad of mixed greens with essence of cranberries effused in a vinaigrette dressing, along with a filet topped with a caramelized red onion glaze, baby carrots and angel hair pasta on the side, finishing with a strawberry sorbet and mixed fresh berries for dessert, then the MRE menu is unlikely to suit you. Of course, given all that, it is unlikely that you will enjoy any part of the military experience…"

:raz:

Edited by FistFullaRoux (log)
Screw it. It's a Butterball.

As Rocket J. Squirrel said to Bullwinkle the Moose.

Brooks,

Glad you still have your sense of humor. It does look pretty tasty as well.

Thank you for a highly entertaining MRE Cook's Tour, Brooks.

I have one burning question:

How does the "Cappucino, French Vanilla" taste?

And what about the GI who just wants plain old coffee? With caffeine?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Thank you for a highly entertaining MRE Cook's Tour, Brooks.

I have one burning question:

How does the "Cappucino, French Vanilla" taste?

And what about the GI who just wants plain old coffee?  With caffeine?

It tastes like something with vanilla flavoring in it. It's ok, but not something that Phaelon would be serving in his shop.

The regular coffee in these packets is Sanka. Apparently the army used to have their own brand of "spray dried" coffee (whatever that is, not too appetizing sounding) and the soldiers hated it, so they went to a commercial brand.

There is now a shortage of MREs, from what I understand. Between troops in the Middle East and Afghanistan, and storm victims, they are running short. Most of the ones that we have seen are less than two months old, according to the date on the package.

I use to love MREs for my camping and hiking trips. I wish it had a bit less packaging though. Chicken Ala King was my fav. Spagetti w/ meat sauce was too salty but still pretty good.

If I was going out for a weekend, throw a few in the bag and go. No thought required.

First of all my best wishes to Brooks and his family, this along with the Katrina thread have been my first stop for news on the recovery, much more insightful than CNN etc...

I have used MREs for camping, there is a lot of packaging, so I would just strip them down to the basic foil bags and only bring one or two of the accesory packs stripped of napkins etc... I remember when the heaters first came out you had two purchase them in addition to the MRE are they now inside the bag?

I remember when the heaters first came out you had two purchase them in addition to the MRE are they now inside the bag?

In the bag, packed neatly. That's the best part. Those guys put alot of stuff in that bag.

It's currently raining like hell here now, apparently this is the beginning of the outer feeder bands. It's kind of cool looking outside though, the clouds are just sailing by. We'll probably lose all of our power again, which we just got back 2 days ago, because though the power guys have been doing an amazing job gettting the back up, there are tons of trees leaning at crazy angles ready to cut them again.

I have two questions:

1. Is that a SPOON that comes with the meal? Or is it a spork?

2. Low in fiber....wouldn't you get like, uncomfortable after a few days of just eating those things? Or is Metamucil doled out at the same time?

1: Yes, that is a standard, military issue, brown spoon

2: Yes we do get uncomfortable. That is why the Army standard, at least, is 1 MRE a day with either 2 cold, 2 hot, or a combination of hot and cold meals (unless you ask my hospital command who would rather be Rangers and can't pass their PT test)

But, I have to ask Brooks, have you tried this one?

gallery_9620_1295_68504.jpg

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

I have two questions:

1. Is that a SPOON that comes with the meal? Or is it a spork?

2. Low in fiber....wouldn't you get like, uncomfortable after a few days of just eating those things? Or is Metamucil doled out at the same time?

1: Yes, that is a standard, military issue, brown spoon

2: Yes we do get uncomfortable. That is why the Army standard, at least, is 1 MRE a day with either 2 cold, 2 hot, or a combination of hot and cold meals (unless you ask my hospital command who would rather be Rangers and can't pass their PT test)

I haven't seen it yet, I have only heard blissful rumors. Supposedly it's not that bad. Thanks to Rita, we are back to eating the damn things for a couple of days. We just got our power back on Wed night and now it's out again. Also, much of the coastal parts of the parish are flooded again, thanks to the South wind pushing the water into the coast. This wind is supposed to persist for about another 24 hours, so some people that thought that they had made it through unscathed.

It's a mess.

IIRC, this was the one that the DOD had originally called "Dirty Rice", but had to change it after people unfamiliar with the original dish refused even taste it. Evidently, "dirty" isn't a good food adjective for some people...

Screw it. It's a Butterball.