• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The MRE

Mayhaw Man

MRE's...gee, what to say. 2 cases later I'm a fricken' expert.

Avoid at all cost the omlet one...however, the hashbrowns arn't bad.

#2 son loves the raveoli, (sp), # 3 loves the beef stew, both fight over the brownie, and the skittles. #1 son likes the beef stew too, but settles for anything else and then eats 2 spoons of it and throws it away..

I think they are great if your hungry. My kids ate a lot of them while we were without power for 2 weeks. Hey, they like them, and they're free, and they're packed with calories and stuff they needed cause they worked they're butts off for 8 days till I took them to Houston. Yes we ate them, yes we apprecccated them, yes we were grateful. When you don't have the creature comforts of home as you know it, these things are a great meal. I think I could work in the MRE industry as a food taster.... wonder if they have any openings.

Here's a website that links to three companies that sell civilian MREs. Some differences: It looks like you have to buy the heating units separately and they don't contain Tabasco!

www.mreinfo.com/civilian-mres.html

Sorry, don't know how to hyperlink, but you can cut and paste....

Edited by eJulia (log)

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

Avoid at all cost the omlet one...however, the hashbrowns arn't bad.

Ooh, this thread brings back some memories. The omlet is certainly a bad memory. I didn't know anyone who could bear that. Going back to the days before the omlet, does anyone else remember the pork pattie? It was a small square of formed pork, dehydrated until it had the consistency of styrofoam. You could either rehydrate it, which never worked quite right, or eat it dry. I always upset people when I did that, but it was bearable when hungry. The dehydrated fruit was pretty good dry also.

We were told that they were designed to reduce the need for toilets. Searching for a toilet isn't fun in a contingency. :blink:

Boy! Does this thread bring back memories. My family lived in Germany in the 60s on an Army base and we had to lay in a supply of C rations. When our time there was getting short, it was time to start eating up this stuff. My parents, who rarely drank wine with dinner, always got a bottle to go with this crap. I and my siblings were too young to indulge in the only thing that would make the meal palatable. I can only hope that MREs are magnitudes better.