• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fine dining in Bryan-College Station

Kent Wang

I have a friend who is a chef at one of the better establishments in Bryan-College Station and he certainly has a lot to say about his competition. I won't mention where he works just yet, as I'm curious if there are any BCS residents that have an opinion about the finer establishments in the area.

I have a friend who is a chef at one of the better establishments in Bryan-College Station and he certainly has a lot to say about his competition. I won't mention where he works just yet, as I'm curious if there are any BCS residents that have an opinion about the finer establishments in the area.

I live nearby. Mostly chains except Christophers and Cafe' Eccell are quite good. Lunch is good at Cafe' M Bloomers in Navasota. HOOK 'EM.

Edited by Bill Miller (log)

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

I lived in BCS (CS) 1970-1975. I remember the *only* decent restaurant then was the "Texan", a revamped fast-food emporium on Hwy 6. It was "fine dining" because it served lobster and it had tablecloths. There were no Asian restaurants at all. Haven't been back since 1975, and don't plan to.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

I lived in BCS (CS) 1970-1975. I remember the *only* decent restaurant then was the "Texan", a revamped fast-food emporium on Hwy 6. It was "fine dining" because it served lobster and it had tablecloths. There were no Asian restaurants at all. Haven't been back since 1975, and don't plan to.

The Texan closed several years ago. BCS is not a culinary destination.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

I've dined at Cafe Eccel and Messina Hof Winery. Messina Hof is way better and only slightly more expensive. I had the best quiche there. It was very tall and made in a spring-form pan with some very nice cheeses. I had the swordfish at Eccel and it was quite lackluster.

The Texan closed several years ago. BCS is not a culinary destination.

Kinda sorry to hear that it closed. For the time and place, the Texan was pretty good, and the owners went out of their way to raise the culinary standards of the community. It was where my wife and I went for special occassions, like anniversaries.

He who distinguishes the true savor of his food can never be a glutton; he who does not cannot be otherwise. --- Henry David Thoreau

When I was there for grad school, Cafe Eccell was pretty much the only non-chain game in town. Of course, that was 10 years ago, but I still have fond memories of the pizzas and pasta.

Out of curiosity, where else has sprung up?

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

I believe the only other two places are Madden's and Christopher's, both of which are much more upscale than Cafe Eccel. Having dined a great deal in Austin, I'd definitely say that Eccel is just mid-range "cafe" fare, at least compared to what we have in Austin.