• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Navan - vanilla cognac

alacarte

I read the Bon Appetit blurb in the eG Food & Media section about Navan, a new vanilla-infused French cognac from Grand Marnier.

Sounds delish, but apparently no liquor store is carrying it yet, at least not in the NY area. Anyone know the deal on this? When will it be available? Is it available online or through other channels (i.e. served in bars if not yet available to Joe Public?)

I've seen it quite a few places. A quick web search found it at Astor Wines and Spirits, and I know I've seen it in my local A&P in Hoboken as well as Hoboken's liquor megastore, Sparrow.

It's definitely available and has been for a few months at least.

Christopher

It's available in BC, and is probably the truest "vanilla" tasting product that I've had the pleasure to experience. They use Madagascar beans in the process, and it actually tastes like it. It is a little pricey though, as it costs more than regular G.M. ($50 for 750mL)

Before you commit to buying the Navan at Astor Wines, take a look at Warehouse around the corner on Broadway. They might not have Navan yet, but they often have substantially lower prices than Astor on certain items. For example, I've bought liter bottles of Cointreau at Warehouse for thirty bucks when other places are selling 750 ml for thirty-three.

--

Yep.  Navan has wide availability these days.  Not nearly as versatile from a cocktail standpoint as Grand Marnier, I'm afraid.

I agree. But I think Liquor "43" is more versitile than Navan. I'v tried to make a Silver lining with Navan, and it just isn't as intense a vanilla (And no real honey flavor) punch as "43"

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

• 4 months later...