• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Serious Foodie Class in Vancouver

Daddy-A

Sorry guys - I was looking forward to playing with all of you. Whoever the lucky duck is that got my place better come over and cook me dinner . . .

This totally sucks.

But have fun - looking forward to hearing about your adventures.

C'mon, team! Join the May 9th class! :raz:

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Re the Serious Foodie Advanced class in May, has anyone in addition to Arne and Deborah signed up? I'll see you there... I'm back in Van. from mid-April until June, and I'll be one of Chef Tony's assistant instructors for that class. It should be an excellent course. The material that will be covered consists of what was, IMHO, the highlights of the school's 3.5 month Professional Culinary program.

For the next 2 months or so I'm back in culinary school, this time at the Royal Thai culinary school in Bang Saen, Thailand. I look forward to seeing everyone again in Vancouver in April!

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Re the Serious Foodie Advanced class in May, has anyone in addition to Arne and Deborah signed up?  I'll see you there... I'm back in Van. from mid-April until June, and I'll be one of Chef Tony's assistant instructors for that class.

:shock::biggrin:

AWESOME NEWS!!! Does that mean Plymouth Martinis at the Hammy???

See you then Dave!

A.

Re the Serious Foodie Advanced class in May, has anyone in addition to Arne and Deborah signed up?  I'll see you there... I'm back in Van. from mid-April until June, and I'll be one of Chef Tony's assistant instructors for that class.

:shock::biggrin:

AWESOME NEWS!!! Does that mean Plymouth Martinis at the Hammy???

Absolutely! I'll be subletting in the West End again, walking distance to all my previous haunts....

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

Yay! So happy to see others from here will be at the May induction. I suppose it really shouldn't matter but it's always nice to feel like there might be some familiar faces . . . well, monikers/on-line personalities . . .

To the current crew, please keep us posted!

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Re the Serious Foodie Advanced class in May, has anyone in addition to Arne and Deborah signed up?  I'll see you there... I'm back in Van. from mid-April until June, and I'll be one of Chef Tony's assistant instructors for that class.  It should be an excellent course.  The material that will be covered consists of what was, IMHO, the highlights of the school's 3.5 month Professional Culinary program.

Whoohoo! Me three, Dave. It'll be great to share a kitchen with you. And equally great to have you back in our regular Vancouver dining rotation, if only for a little while.

Can't wait to tip a glass with you again. :biggrin:

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Yay!  So happy to see others from here will be at the May induction.  I suppose it really shouldn't matter but it's always nice to feel like there might be some familiar faces . . .  well, monikers/on-line personalities . . .

Laura, we've signed up for the follow-up Advanced Course, having already taken our prerequisite installment of the Serious Foodie in September. Fear not: I'm sure that you'll have a few fellow eGulleters slicing and dicing with you come May.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

:unsure: Buying a house this spring -> means no serious foodie class for me <sniff> <sniff> if yiu guys have leftovers PM me Ill be happy to come clear it away!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Yay!  So happy to see others from here will be at the May induction.  I suppose it really shouldn't matter but it's always nice to feel like there might be some familiar faces . . .   well, monikers/on-line personalities . . .

Laura, we've signed up for the follow-up Advanced Course, having already taken our prerequisite installment of the Serious Foodie in September. Fear not: I'm sure that you'll have a few fellow eGulleters slicing and dicing with you come May.

Gotcha. Painkillers affecting brain function . . . .

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

here's my very late report on our first class of the serious foodie program january 2006!

chef tony did not disappoint me as to his humor and very obvious passion of what he does! for once, i am looking forward to mondays!

vancouver lee is also in the class and as we found out at the end of the class, so is barolo (hi!), and another friend of mine.

we did the same soup as the last class did. gypsy/aztec soup. simple, yummy and a good chance to practice our skills on the knife.

a few pics.

our soup simmering away.

gallery_32080_2463_30108.jpg

el producto finito

gallery_32080_2463_46264.jpg

this was a pretty easy class. i did learn a few things though. broth versus stock. simmer instead of boil. and a tip on never buy hot house peppers as it's mostly water and the skin is thick and less flavourful yet more expensive.

the soup was very nice. the veggies retained a slight crunch, the broth light and the fresh avocados and tortilla chips added really nice textures. it was paired with a glass of torres vina esmerelda, a blend of muscatel and gewurztraminer.

looking forward to tonight and will try to remember to take more pics!

Quentina

Last night we made beet, apple and jicama salad, mac and cheese (a rather adult version) and salmon rillettes. I didn't have my camera but noticed makanmakan and vancouver lee snapping away so perhaps they'll post a few. We had a chance to practice lots more chopping, making a roux and bechamel, plating the salmon rillettes with a ring mold and organizing our work for efficiency, among other things.

Tony is a talented teacher, he's great at confidence-building and makes each class feel special. I see he has a degree in theatre which helps to explain his teaching style. He most definitely does not teach by rote, there's lots of improvising, and laughter, along the way.

Cheers,

Anne

here are some of the pics! this was such a fun class and i got to work with lee! when i sat down and saw what we were going to be making, i was very excited. oh mac and cheese.....so good! :wub:

first, the beet salad. so yummy with bites of toasted cumin and fennel seeds in the vinaigrette. this was devoured with a glass of the gazela vino verde. this was my first glass of vino verde and i am hooked. clean, fresh, zippy and just plain yummy!

gallery_32080_2463_3522.jpg

next up was the mac'n'cheese. as barolo said, it was a more "adult" version. tony did share with us his trick of adding some boddington's beer when making this at home. i am so doing that!

gallery_32080_2463_21994.jpg

the salmon rillette was such a fun dish to make. the end result was delicious and so pretty looking! we started with poaching the salmon......

gallery_32080_2463_19398.jpg

then the salmon was chilled and poaching liquid reduced to a syrup. then the salmon was flaked with the syrup and mire poix mixture to make the bottom layer. the next layer was a guacamole, then topped with a sour cream and horseradish mixture. then we molded this into a ring to make it oh, so fancy looking!

gallery_32080_2463_31194.jpg

we had this last course with a glass of talus chardonnay.

Quentina

^ That Rillete looks gorgeous! How come nobody PM'd me? There were leftovers right? :biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Everything looks good! What sort of cheese blend does Chef Tony use in the mac and cheese?

we used a mixture of medium and aged cheddar for this version.

^ That Rillete looks gorgeous! How come nobody PM'd me?  There were leftovers right?  :biggrin:

thanks! heh, leftovers?!!! i wish!!!! :raz:

Quentina

No class for me tonight as i'm couch bound with a nasty flu.  :sad:

Lee and Anne, I'll have to live vicariously through you guys for this class.

Damn, I really wanted to make a baguette.  *pout*

Boohoo, you're out for one night - I'm out for the whole seminar w/ my herniated disks and am trying - really trying - to live vicarously through all posting egullet attendees - so please, keep up the posting and keep me entertained/enthused for the next seminar - doesn't start until May 9th! But makanmakan, I sympathize with missing a class when you've signed up for the whole shooting match and are paying for it . . . would the Academy let you sit in on the next seminar's baguette evening - if there is a consistent schedule for each class?

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

No class for me tonight as i'm couch bound with a nasty flu.  :sad:

Boohoo, you're out for one night - I'm out for the whole seminar w/ my herniated disks and am trying - really trying - to live vicarously through all posting egullet attendees - so please, keep up the posting and keep me entertained/enthused for the next seminar - doesn't start until May 9th! But makanmakan, I sympathize with missing a class when you've signed up for the whole shooting match and are paying for it . . . would the Academy let you sit in on the next seminar's baguette evening - if there is a consistent schedule for each class?

:blink: i know....let me whine though...lol.

when i talked to marla today, she said that if i felt better tomorrow, i can come to the tuesday class, but it's not looking good. i could manage it if i had an oxygen tank with me though! (bad asthma flare up due to chest cold) i'm hoping that between lee and anne and another friend of mine, i can leach notes from them and learn.

how's your back doing, btw? :smile:

Quentina

Neck is healing - thanks for asking Makanmakan - slowly. Another month or so and I might be able to chop onions again without pain! It's been very interesting having my non-cooking husband prepare dinner . . . .

(Not only did I have to cancel - postpone, I should say - the Foodie class, I am also on doctor's orders not to travel for a while, meaning my trip to the Dominican Republic for later this month is also off - serious boohoo. And I am arm-deep in insurance forms to try to get my money back . . . )

Back on topic, I am glad to hear that the Academy is being flexible about illnesses/cancellations. I didn't realize that there is a concurrent Monday and Tuesday night (beginner level "Serious Foodies") class - are they the same in terms of the principal lessons taught and dishes cooked?

And you can whine right past me Makanmakan - the flu is the worst!. Sorry to undermine your rightful call to sympathy . . .

No class for me tonight as i'm couch bound with a nasty flu.   :sad:

:blink: i know....let me whine though...lol.

when i talked to marla today, she said that if i felt better tomorrow, i can come to the tuesday class, but it's not looking good. i could manage it if i had an oxygen tank with me though! (bad asthma flare up due to chest cold) i'm hoping that between lee and anne and another friend of mine, i can leach notes from them and learn.

how's your back doing, btw? :smile:

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

Tuesday class seems to be basically the same as Monday, although I imagine CHef Tony changes things up just enough to keep himself interested. Case in point; I'm sure last week that he said we would be making ciabatta rather than a baguette [i'd have preferred the baguette, I think :) ]

You sick people all feel better soon, OK?

cheers

Derek

Tuesday class seems to be basically the same as Monday, although I imagine CHef Tony changes things up just enough to keep himself interested. Case in point; I'm sure last week that he said we would be making ciabatta rather than a baguette [i'd have preferred the baguette, I think :) ]

You sick people all feel better soon, OK?

cheers

Derek

Actually, last night it was neither....we did a foccacia.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com