• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Serious Foodie Class in Vancouver

Daddy-A

yay, lee!  looking forward to also meeting lauraf and barolo.  should be fun and thanks to the first group for breaking chef tony in for us!!  :biggrin:

eek, we'll try to keep the rest of you entertained with our updates.  t'is a hard act to follow!  :wink:

Don't worry guys, Tony is a bit of a nut himself so I think it will be a perfect combination to scare the other students. :biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

i have one i can bring.  looking forward to your mad skillz on the knife, laura  :cool:  :biggrin:

Stay several feet away. :raz:

that's it, i'm wearing my armour! :laugh:

Armour is so heavy. Don't you have a magical anti-missile defense shield or something? It's sooo light and comfortable.

Laura Fauman

Vancouver Magazine

[host]

Sounds like you guys are pretty excited about the class ... and you should be. Just not here. :rolleyes: Let's keep the discussion on the Foodie Class ... and the soon to be added Advanced Foodie Class.

Discussions of a personal nature need to take place via email or PM. I'll be pruning OT discussion in the near future so as to make this thread more useful and readable.

Thanks!

A.

[/host]

So anyone wanting to join the Advanced Serious Foodie course at NWCAV .... yah need to get in line behind me! :cool:

They're taking registration now. It's only 6 weeks and $550. Info HERE.

Some of the things you will learn:
  • whole chicken & whole duck: debone, portion & cook (stocks, jambonneau de volaille, faro stuffed breast, Thai chili wings, seared duck breast, duck proscuitto, rillette & confit)
  • whole salmon: fillet, portion & cook (smoked belly rillette, gravlax, coulibiac, olive oil poached darne)
  • side of pork: debone, portion & cure/cook (sausage, bacon, tourtiere, German-style stuffed pork chop with spaetzle)
  • whole lobster: proper cooking & shelling techniques, bisque, lobster oil, lobster salad, open lasagna
  • appetizer feast: you will work in teams to create a trio of appetizers using ingredients & techniques learned in previous weeks, then the whole class will enjoy the delicacies from the different groups!

Need to get a boning knife ...

A.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up Arne. Breaking down meat, learning to properly cut and fillet, sausages... All the things I asked for in my course evaluation sheet. [Mr Burns] Excellent. [/Mr Burns]

It doesn't say you need a boning knife, but it does say to bring a !!bench scraper?!?! So now I have to go out an buy one of those too. I actually have some very fond memories of hanging around the butcher department at my Dad's old store, and I am really looking forward to this installment.

Side note on boning knife: Have you seen the Global one pictured in Lucy's latest blog? The little nub at the top of the handle to keep you from slipping right onto the blade... freaky.

^ Some?

The 6-Day Advanced Serious Foodie course will emphasize the total utilization of various popular proteins, from boning/filleting to the application of key moist/dry cooking techniques as well as some interesting charcuterie preparations.

I'm so jealous! I will be away around the time of the course so someone needs to do two things for me in the class:

1. Pictures!

2. Jackson Pollock Plating (at least once to humour me)

:biggrin:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

...and for the bakers among us - Serious Foodie Pastry Course- in March! I guess enough people besides me asked for one. I am going to do my very best to be there. I can hardly wait!

edited to say: I've tried twice. I can't get it to link to the course description page. Hopefully you can find it from the link.

Edited by CanadianBakin' (log)

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Cheers, Arne!

*already signed up, doing the Chandler dance*

Don't know the Chandler dance, so I am picturing you doing the Snoopy dance!

(How can you tell that I have been cooking for too long? Don't get the pop-culture reference!)

I really hope you guys have fun in this class. The charcuterie stuff sounds great, and i agree with Arne, a boning knife will help you immensely! Bench scrapers are cheap...boning knives...find one that fits comfortably in your hand so that you aren't afraid of the blade. Only way to go. They are SO useful!

And you thought making pasta was fun!

• 1 month later...
Plan to arrive on the dot of 6:01 pm and you can park right out front! bring meter change ($1/hour)

Please give Chef Tony my greetings, Lee!

Rock star parking! I love it. Thanks for the tip, and I'll say hi to the boss for you.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

The biggest tip, Lee - if you can call it that - is to enjoy yourself! You are given pretty much free reign in a commercial-quality kitchen, so use the opportunity to have fun and satisfy your curiosities.

When Chef is doing the demo, it is important to watch and listen (again, not much of a tip), so you know what to look for when things are "done" or ready for the next step. The sights, sounds and smells you get will act as good reminders when you're doing your own cooking (at school and at home). And ask him questions! Chef Tony is a great resource, and very funny to boot.

If you have time in the next week, read Making of a Chef by Michael Ruhlman, even if you have already read it. I think it makes it a bit more enjoyable.

And not that I need to tell you, but take photos to share!

^ Lots of pictures and make sure to the kitchen volunteers (helpers) for ingredients if you can't find them - chances are they have it and they will bring it out!