• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Serious Foodie Class in Vancouver

Daddy-A

For me, the challenge will be to remember how to do things and do them at home, alone...we'll see how well I can manage on my own. :unsure:

It's very gratifying to look at that bread, though. It was tasty, too! Wait till you see the others' bread, some of them were spectacular!

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

That being said, I rhapsodized profusely in class about how cathartic the bread baking process was after a weekend of moving.  Very therapeutic.

Hmmmm ... I need some therapy this week. I think I see another baguette in my future. Good idea ...

A.

<drool>

That food looks divine! The cheese salad...oh my god...im making that.

And yeah I had a long week at work already (and it's only wednesday) so I'm thinking of making some foccaccia this week. mmmm.

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

Thanks "fud" and Deborah for the lowdown on how the classes work. Sounds like a very informal and fun learning environment which I think is the best way to learn new skills.

And Deborah... your baguette looks great! :biggrin:

sarah

Always take a good look at what you're about to eat. It's not so important to know what it is, but it's critical to know what it was. --Unknown

I was perusing the NWCAV site and found this pic and thought of you Ling :biggrin:

Chocolate_Boxes_001.jpg

The serious chocolate program!

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

^Is this the $450 Valentine's Day program?  :wub:

Alas I think it's just a display :sad:

But nothing's stoping you from asking them!

Meanwhile, we have students from the real vocational cooking class who help us out and prep stuff and answer questions, too.

I have to give huge props to the Professional Course students who, after a long day in the classroom, help us out in almost every conceivable way: premeasuring and setting out a good chunk of our mise en place for each dish, cleaning up our work stations and keeping an eye on things that are simmering or baking while we're receiving further instruction from Chef Tony, imparting tidbits of wisdom that they've picked up during their own course of study, assisting us with proper techniques and offering loads of encouragement. I, for one, am very grateful for their presence in our class.

Et puis, les photos.

gallery_18820_1799_21226.jpg

Fried Goat Cheese/Brie Salad with Pistachios

Served with Ruffino Orvieto Classico 2004

Damn, this was one fine salad. There will definitely be repeats of this dish in my household.

gallery_18820_1799_24322.jpg

Seared Halibut with Gnocchi and Basil-White Wine Broth

Served with Seila & Mosca Vermentino Di Sardegna 2003

And now for the breadmaking process.

gallery_18820_1799_14287.jpg

First rise

Time constraints only allowed for one rise instead of two. All things considered, however, I think our inaugural baguettes/epis turned out pretty darn well.

gallery_18820_1799_31823.jpg

Before baking

You can see one of my cooking partners about to slash into her baguette.

gallery_18820_1799_17202.jpg

The finished product

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Thanks guys. :smile:

Hopefully, once the dust settles here and my oven is hooked up, I can attempt to replicate the epis at home with time enough for a second rise. I tore off one of the last couple of pieces this evening and ate it with some rose petal jelly. Yum.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

:blink:

Epis! mmmmm

If you let it rise twice or thrice the bread should be softer inside too!

I can attest to how good Joie's epis was. I had a piece late Wed night and again yesterday for lunch. Warmed up in the toaster, crust nice and crispy, centre, warm and tender. Was very tasty. I can't wait for her oven to be hooked up.

I'd show you a picture of my baguette (which served as a deliscious vehicle for some pulled pork the other day), but somebody hasn't sent me the pictures from their camera! :angry: I mean really, how difficult can moving be? :raz:

A.

I can attest to how good Joie's epis was.  I had a piece late Wed night and again yesterday for lunch.  Warmed up in the toaster, crust nice and crispy, centre, warm and tender.  Was very tasty.  I can't wait for her oven to be hooked up.

It's settled, then. As soon as her oven is hooked up, it's baguettes for everyone. :cool:

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

www.leecarney.com

I'd show you a picture of my baguette (which served as a deliscious vehicle for some pulled pork the other day), but somebody hasn't sent me the pictures from their camera! :angry: I mean really, how difficult can moving be? :raz:

:hmmm:

Oi, that's hitting below the belt... did you see what time I actually got around to posting my own photos after an evening of unpacking. Can it Salvesen! :raz:

Joie Alvaro Kent

Oi, that's hitting below the belt... did you see what time I actually got around to posting my own photos after an evening of unpacking.  Can it Salvesen!  :raz:

Ooh Daddy-A I think your pic might get photoshopped before it's given to you now :biggrin: My baguette is on moosh's camera too....Moosh you are such a great great person, you take your time on those pics :raz:

Nope. He is actually the resident brown noser at work  :raz:

Oooh that hurt!

You're lucky you're not waiting on anything I'm working on Alex!