• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

pappardelle quest in NJ or NYC

nutleygirl

I have pappardelle on my mind, and won't be happy until I can get the best plate around. It will be a special occasion for hubby and I soon, so I would like to try and satisfy my craving, as well enjoy a great meal. Any suggestions, we are in Essex County, but will travel to NYC. Thanks!

I would think Fascino would serve papardelle from time to time. They might even be able to make them for you special since they are so easy to make. I'd give them a call, tell them its a special occasion, and see what they say. Even if they dont do it, you should go there anyway... :biggrin:

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Pappardelle with what?  Somewhat wide fresh strand pasta is an awfully broad category.

well, I gotta say, it could be with anything. I would like a great not too tomatoey meat sauce if possible. Something along the lines of a Bolognese would be good. But then again seafood is all right too. For me it's all about the pasta.

Do you have a price range?

My recommendations would be:

- Pappardelle with lamb ragu at Gradisca (13th between 6th and 7th)

- Pappardelle bolognese at Babbo (Waverly and MacDougal)

- Pappardelle with duck ragu at Paola's (84th between 2nd and 3rd)

Happy hunting! :biggrin:

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Do you have a price range?

My recommendations would be:

- Pappardelle with lamb ragu at Gradisca (13th between 6th and 7th)

- Pappardelle bolognese at Babbo (Waverly and MacDougal)

- Pappardelle with duck ragu at Paola's (84th between 2nd and 3rd)

Happy hunting!  :biggrin:

thanks for the suggestions, since it is "big" anniversary, we're ready to splash out, so no real budget in mind.

Edited by nutleygirl (log)

thanks for the suggestions, since it is "big" anniversary, we're ready to splash out, so no real budget in mind.

Then I would go for Babbo!!! I LOVE the pappardelle at Gradisca, but Babbo is a more "special" experience all around. Save Gradisca for a fun dinner sometime later in the year...

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

Perhaps not a fancy enough experience, but iirc, we had papardelle at Trattoria Fresco, which is in Caldwell. And BYO!

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

You might also want to consider L'Impero, which has:

House Made Pappardelle w/rabbit ragu, parsnips, mint and pignoli

"If the divine creator has taken pains to give us delicious and exquisite things to eat, the least we can do is prepare them well and serve them with ceremony."

~ Fernand Point

You might also want to consider L'Impero, which has:

House Made Pappardelle w/rabbit ragu, parsnips, mint and pignoli

Good call - that pappardelle is too-licious! Can't believe I left it off the list...

Queenie Takes Manhattan

I'd have to also give my vote for the pappadelle at Babbo. The best I have ever had in a restaurant

"My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them." ~Winston Churchill

Morels- God's gift to the unworthy human species

More votes for parpadelle at Babbo or L'Impero.  Though I'm certainly more fond of the Babbo experience.

I love L'Impero, but I think Babbo would be more fun - L'Impero is more stately, but Babbo's a bit more lively. Plus, being in the Village, it's easier to get to from Jersey than L'Impero (which is in Tudor City)!

Queenie Takes Manhattan

I'm not sure if Nanni Il Valleto is still open in NYC but if it is and if per chance Silvo is still the executive chef, you are in luck! He makes the most wonderful pappardelle with shitake mushrooms and chopped tomatoes, wine, garilc and basil.

Would be worth a look to see if it's still there and if he's still cooking.

Nanni's Restaurant

(212) 697-4161

146 East 46th Street

This info. on Babbo is all on the NY forum but I figured I might as well summarize it here if you aren't familiar with it. (And just to note, coming from Jersey, getting all the way over to Tudor City can be a kind of annoying. Especially with the way the streets run, on two levels and all.)

Reservations: Call up one month early to the day at exactly 10:00 am and keep calling to get through for the next hour. It's what you've got to do, there's little glamour involved.

If it's an anniversary ask to sit upstairs and do either of the tasting menus. I've done both, and if you're really craving pasta, do the pasta one. It's fabulous.

well, I gotta say, it could be with anything.  I would like a great not too tomatoey meat sauce if possible. Something along the lines of a Bolognese would be good...  For me it's all about the pasta.

The exact dish you're describing is a frequent daily special at Lupa, usually with some kind of a slow-simmered pork and red wine ragu, and being all about the pasta, is always sublime. I had just this not too long ago when four of us went and had a pasta festival (many half orders served in a row) and the papardelle with the pork were so outrageously good that they stole the show (it was a very close call.)

How this helps you, I can't say for sure, but you could always call to explain your craving and see what they tell you and take it from there.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

well, I gotta say, it could be with anything.  I would like a great not too tomatoey meat sauce if possible. Something along the lines of a Bolognese would be good...  For me it's all about the pasta.

The exact dish you're describing is a frequent daily special at Lupa, usually with some kind of a slow-simmered pork and red wine ragu, and being all about the pasta, is always sublime. I had just this not too long ago when four of us went and had a pasta festival (many half orders served in a row) and the papardelle with the pork were so outrageously good that they stole the show (it was a very close call.)

How this helps you, I can't say for sure, but you could always call to explain your craving and see what they tell you and take it from there.

That sounds really great, where is this place Lupa and what else are they known for?? Planning a yearly pilgramage with my family to NYC later this year.

Lupa is another Batalli venture. It's like a more casual, cheaper Babbo. I personally enjoy Babbo more and think that if one is going into NYC from an outside location, then Babbo is the better experience. Lupa is still a great restaurant, though.

Just had pappardelle yesterday for lunch at Copeland in Morristown. Came with roasted tomatoes and braised short ribs and it was great. There's a current thread for copeland but here's some general info:

Copeland Restaurant

2 Whippany Road (inside the Govenor Morris Hotel)

Morristown, NJ 07960

973-451-2619

copelandrestaurant.com