• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yellow Tail Shiraz and Shiraz-Grenache

Chris Cognac

I held my monthly blind tasting last night and we did 17 wines..Syrah-Shiraz and blends.....I have not scored everything yet, but when we did the reveal of what the bottles were, Yellow Tail from Austrailia just laid the smack down on everyone else...I rated them my 2 highest wines of the tasting.....I have noticed out here in California that the Yellow Tail prices have gone up about 20 percent

Here is the list of wines

25 Max

1. Smoking Loon 2003

2. Eberle 2002 Paso Robles “Up Shiraz”

3. Valley of the Moon 2001 Sonoma

4. McManis Family 2004 Ripon, CA

5. RDLR 2002 Mendocino County

6. Cline Syrah 2003

7. 2 Brothers “Big Tattoo” 2003 Chile

8. Cline “Cool Climate” 2003 Sonoma

9. Eberle 2002 “Steinbeck Vineyard” Paso Robles

10. Francis Coppola Diamond Collection “Green Label” Shiraz-Syrah 2003

11. Yellowtail Syrah

12. Ross Estate Barosa Valley 2002 Shiraz Australia

13. Kumkani 2002 Shiraz Stellenbosch South Africa

14. Langhorne Crossing 2003 South Africa 65% Cab, Shiraz and Malbec [First of the Blends]

15. Sideshow No. 4 Pupptmaster 2004 Syrah/Malbec

16. Trumpeter 2004 Malbec-Syrah 2004 Tupungato Argentina

17. Yellowtail Shiraz-Grenache 2004

Moo, Cluck, Oink.....they all taste good!

The Hungry Detective

Very interesting, Chris. out of curiosity, how many times was each wine tasted and for how long a period of time over an evening? I ask because a fruit forward wine is likely to have a better initial presentation and then pale with continued drinking unless it has more complexity to it. I'm not saying that Yellowtail wsn't the best. I don't know, I wasn't there. It is just that the parameters can make a huge difference.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

Thanks for the mention of YellowTail...I'd been avoiding it due to a mediocre review in the past, but will now give it a try. BTW, have you tried the shiraz/viogner blends from Oz? Shiraz/viogner, you say?? Yes, 3-6 or 7% max. viogner added to shiraz...adds a wonderful mellowness and fruit. Very tasty indeed. :wink:

I've tried the Yellow Tail a couple of times (most recently tonight). I'm by no means an expert, but it seems to have an unusual aroma that I've never smelt from other wines -- something nearly soapy... It tasted fine, but on both occasions, it had this unusual aroma.

I've tried the Yellow Tail a couple of times (most recently tonight). I'm by no means an expert, but it seems to have an unusual aroma that I've never smelt from other wines -- something nearly soapy... It tasted fine, but on both occasions, it had this unusual aroma.

We had a bottle of Yellowtail over the weekend and noticed an odd smell also, reminded me of a strong talcum powder. My friend said it hadn't been like that when she had tasted it in the store.

Edited by jul3z (log)

We each were portioned out a 1/4 glass (we were doing 17 wines) and went with no expectations.....if it was good it was good, if it sucked we would say so.....the panel is made up mostly of novice wine drinkers (11-12) and 4 or 5 guru's (some in the wine industry)...so we get both perspectives...

I have not noticed a bad smell with Yellow Tail.....I have with many other wines but not that one...I guess it would be a number of things...

I do think its great when ever a "cheap" wine does well....

PS Mary..the Dover Canyon Old Vine Zin is still the best bottle I have had all year!

Edited by Chris Cognac (log)

The Hungry Detective

We each were portioned out a 1/4 glass (we were doing 17 wines) and went with no expectations.....if it was good it was good, if it sucked we would say so.....the panel is made up mostly of novice wine drinkers (11-12) and 4 or 5 guru's (some in the wine industry)...so we get both perspectives...

...!

It's probably not possible to do this retrospectively, but it would have also been interesting to see how or if the ranking differed if you campared votes from the "novice wine drinkers" and the "gurus". In that way, one would actually have a measure of both perspectives.

As we know, at one level, a good wine is one that one enjoys at the time, but often people's tastes evolve as they begin to experience a greater breadth of wine styles. That has certainly been the case for me in the last fifteen years.

Sounds like a fun time to have so many wines to taste. I went on a recent tour of Paso Robles and Santa Barbara wineries (3 days) and got to taste a large number of Syrah's from a relatively small geographical area. It was also very interesting to compare and contrast the Syrah's in this way.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Um, how much do you people pay for Yellowtail over there?

The range described here retails for around AUD9.99-11.00

For me, they're a little sweet. Otherwise, inoffensive.

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

I got it on sale at Liquorland a few weeks back. I wasn't really impressed either, but it does appear to be popular as an export. So is Fosters though, not that I am implying anything.

you can get yellowtail for around $8 or so in most grocery stores- at least here in the washington, d.c. area. and you're right, the shiraz is sweet and inoffensive. although, i can't remember the last time i bought a bottle of yellowtail. :smile:

Tasted the shiraz, bought two bottles of the Cab Sauv.

Tasted better the next day actually.

I think Yellowtail is better for Australian wine than Fosters is for Australian beer :biggrin:

Edited by PCL (log)

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Tasted the shiraz, bought two bottles of the Cab Sauv.

Tasted better the next day actually.

I think Yellowtail is better for Australian wine than Fosters is for Australian beer :grin:

Did you read that they are trying a marketing blitz to get it back in the pubs?? Hysterical.

Its 5.99 at Trader Joes here in California....so for the money its a great wine! I think its a great wine just to have on hand at the house...not for keeping, its for drinking soon...

I bought it for $3.99 on sale pretty regularly at World Market in Austin. Bought a lot of it. Was great just to have on hand as a cheap table wine.

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I bought it for $3.99 on sale pretty regularly at World Market in Austin.  Bought a lot of it.  Was great just to have on hand as a cheap table wine.

sale price at the Austin WMkt is $5.99 right now....saw it at Central Market yesterday for $5.49

We had a bottle of Yellowtail over the weekend and noticed an odd smell also, reminded me of a strong talcum powder. My friend said it hadn't been like that when she had tasted it in the store.

Anyone watch Monk? It wasn't Aqua Velva, was it? :laugh:

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food"-

George Bernard Shaw

We didnt exclude French wines by choice, it just worked out that way....we taste stuff that is sent to us and whatever I buy or people bring along to throw in the mix....we try to keep it to wines that regular folks like us would drink...nothing to special or expensive...

The Hungry Detective