• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sujiko (salmon roe still in sac)

peter_nyc

I'm all set to attempt my own ikura but I don't know where to find the sujiko, or salmon roe still in its sac. Tonight I scoured the fish sections of JAS Mart on St. Marks and Sunrise Mart to no avail. Do they usually stock it?

If not, does anybody know where I should look? How about Mitsuwa in Edgewater, NJ?

Here's the thread in the Japan forum from where the inquiry originated, and as one can see, I'm interested in finding sujiko also!

Some fish stores take requests. Try speaking to a manager at Wild Edibles or Fish Tales, in Brooklyn.

JJ Goode

Co-author of Serious Barbecue, which is in stores now!

www.jjgoode.com

"For those of you following along, JJ is one of these hummingbird-metabolism types. He weighs something like eleven pounds but he can eat more than me and Jason put together..." -Fat Guy

Today I asked the sushi chefs at my local sushi restaurant if they knew where I could score some sujiko. They laughed because they assumed I wanted to eat it whole, still in the sac. After some failed attempts to communicate my true intentions across a pretty severe language barrier I continued with my meal in silence, ashamed and frustrated. :raz:

Today I asked the sushi chefs at my local sushi restaurant if they knew where I could score some sujiko.  They laughed because they assumed I wanted to eat it whole, still in the sac.  After some failed attempts to communicate my true intentions across a pretty severe language barrier I continued with my meal in silence, ashamed and frustrated.  :raz:

Print out the following and show it them:

筋子がどこで手に入るか知っていますか?

筋子からイクラを作りたいんです。

(Do you know where I can get sujiko?

I want to make ikura from sujiko.)

Print out the following and show it them:

筋子がどこで手に入るか知っていますか?

筋子からイクラを作りたいんです。

(Do you know where I can get sujiko?

I want to make ikura from sujiko.)

Hiroyuki, thank you! I'm going to print this out as well!

I would also make sure to specify that you want it raw (nama) as the word sujiko can also be used to refer to already seasoned sacs. It is a product similar to ikura but it is seasoned and eaten with the sac intact.

I really doubt these guys are making their own ikura, I would try a fishmonger. The season is quite short over here, so you might have to wait until next year...

生筋子がどこで手に入るか知っていますか?

筋子からイクラを作りたいんです。

I changed the first word on this to specify nama-sujiko.

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 1 month later...

I happened to have a digital camera with me when I went shopping today, so I took photos of different types of sujiko.

Here's a photo of matured sujiko:

gallery_16375_5_455.jpg

The label says nama sake sujiko (raw salmon sujiko). You need to get matured sujiko like this to make ikura. These particular packs come with a packet of liquid for overnight pickling.

And a photo of premature sujiko:

gallery_16375_5_63728.jpg

The label simply says sujiko.