• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toshi's on Main

fud

Ok I drove by yesterday having just moved to this neighbourhood (around south-main). I noticed a ridiculous line outside this little Japanese Restaurant called "Toshi's" (i think).

Anyone eaten here and any comments - is it worth the wait? And what's so good about it? Phenominal salmon/tuna? I can't figure out how this one place can be SO packed when there are simply so many other Japanese restaurants around.

I think I read somewhere about a squid dish...

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I like Toshi. He makes good sushi. I think he had a restaurant in Whistler but re-located to the off-Main Street spot. It is very small, though, there are only about 10 tables which helps explain the lineups.

They have a sushi bar where you can sit and watch the sushi orders go out. I usually go for takeout - avoids the lineups completely. The house roll is good, they also have a little dish with lobster and mushrooms that is not too shabby at all.

we've tried to go there a couple of times. always very hungry when we show up and huge line ups.

as far as i know, he was sushi village in whistler and came out of retirement to open toshi's.

all reviews that we've heard have all been good. so we will keep trying.....

Quentina

I like Toshi.  He makes good sushi.  I think he had a restaurant in Whistler but re-located to the off-Main Street spot.  It is very small, though, there are only about 10 tables which helps explain the lineups.

They have a sushi bar where you can sit and watch the sushi orders go out.  I usually go for takeout  - avoids the lineups completely.  The house roll is good, they also have a little dish with lobster and mushrooms that is not too shabby at all.

Thanks for the feedback both of you! I think I will have to try it out myself then since there are mixed reviews :)

It's so close to my place so I can get takeout and have it home before it gets cold (assuming i dont get just sushi)

Wes

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I like Toshi.  He makes good sushi.  I think he had a restaurant in Whistler but re-located to the off-Main Street spot.  It is very small, though, there are only about 10 tables which helps explain the lineups.

as far as i know, he was sushi village in whistler and came out of retirement to open toshi's.

all reviews that we've heard have all been good.  so we will keep trying.....

To that end, here's Tim Pawsey's review of Toshi's in the Vancouver Courier.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Toshi's is absolutely fabulous. I used to live around the corner and would place and order for take out, go home and they would phone when it was ready. It truly is some of the best Japanese that I have had in this city, but I find that the common things, like California rolls, etc., to be quite boring. The squid roll is brilliant, as is the spicy tuna. Some of the cooked dishes that I have had there have been out of this world, the butter fish blew me away. Brave the line and go as soon as you can. It's only been 2 weeks, but I miss Toshi. Must make a stop on my way home from work soon.