• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fried clams

lizziee

Friedclams posted this on the Southwest board:

"I'm drawing a complete blank for any restaurant, stand, shack which serves new england style whole belly fried clams within 50 miles of Dallas ... price is no object... I need a fix... clam strips won't do... whole belly "piss" clams (steamer clams) are required...

Can anyone recommend a location ???"

Now, does anyone know of a place in Los Angeles? I have tried them at Jars and they were not good.

I have also had them at JAR - they were okay nothing special.

I remember as a kid, the neighbors would go out claming locally

(I think San Pedro) and bring back buckets full, deep fry and serve with homemade tartar sauce. Maybe down there in that area you might still find them. There's a couple of fish places on PCH heading out towards Malibu -although I haven't been out that way in awhile. If I see 'em anywhere I'll post.

Monkey

We need to find courage, overcome

Inaction is a weapon of mass destruction