• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rum Cake Recipes?

Jim Cotter

I have been poking around for a Rum Cake recipe and have not had much luck. I searched for an earlier thread andall that the anyone said was that they liked RumCake. Me too.

The Tortuga Rumcakes in chocolate are fine by me but I want to bake it myself.

Anyone have Ideas?

Happy Days :biggrin:

I've had good luck with this one:Rum Cake

Sometimes I make it with spiced rum. I think it's pretty good.

:rolleyes:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Nice topic, I also like Italian Rum Cakes. The kind I know were (are?) the type you can get at Italian restaurants in the northeast. I found a couple of recipes googling. I just may have to try one of them...

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

It is interesting that the Captain Morgan's Rum Cake Cayman Islands Style Recipe calls for Tortuga rum. Blackbeard's is the most popular rum in the Cayman Islands.

Here's one that I use all the time. Start with a store bought pound cake and place it in a pan. Pour half a bottle of dark rum over the pound cake and let the excess soak up in the cake. Make a frosting with butter, confectioner sugar and freshly ground cinnamon and nutmeg, then spread over the rum soaked cake.

It's hard to beat this for soemthing simple, and good.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

Pour half a bottle of dark rum over the pound cake and let the excess soak up in the cake.

It's hard to beat this for something simple, and good.

And easy! Wow. Sounds utterly sublilme.

But I do wonder....how large "a bottle of dark rum"?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Ludja... I tried the Googling prior to posting here and found only one recipe, maybe you have magic google portal? :huh:

I am interested to try Ed 's recipe with the pound cake. I have a funny feeling the commerical Tortuga cakes employ a similar process? :cool:

Ludja... I tried the Googling prior to posting here and found only one recipe, maybe you have magic google portal? :huh:

If you type in "Italian Rum Cake" , using the quotes to search the three words as a contiguous phrase, you get this.

( :smile: , not magic, but putting search phrases in quotations can make a big difference in search efficiency)

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

Thankyou Ludja... There was indeed a little magic to your search efforts. I checked out the recipe but I think it is beyond the reach of my cooking talents.

My newly formed idea for rumcake I would like to run by you before I try it .

I bought a box of Duncan Hines Chocolate cake mix which calls for

1 1/3 cups of water 1/2 cup veg oil and 3 eggs. How about I replace some Goslings black Seal Rum where the water goes in this recipe? Would it work? Hmmm? :unsure:

I often replace about half of the water in recipes with rum. If you don't use enough water the result will be too dry. Since this is the rum forum and not the cooking or cocktail forum, we don't have to be exact. For a recipe that calls for 1 1/3 cups of water, I'd use 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup rum, or probably more like 2/3 cup water and a cup of rum.

The alcohol in the rum is going to evaporate, so use a little more total liquid.

As for the size of the bottle of rum I use, whatever I have. If I only have 750s I'd use more than half a bottle. A proven approach is to pour a few cups of rum over the cake until it quits absorbing it quickly. Then add another few ounces, depending on the size of the cake and let it sit. Reminds me of watering my basil plants.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I often replace about half of the water in recipes with rum. If you don't use enough water the result will be too dry. Since this is the rum forum and not the cooking or cocktail forum, we don't have to be exact. For a recipe that calls for 1 1/3 cups of water, I'd use 1 cup of water and 1/2 cup rum, or probably more like 2/3 cup water and a cup of rum.

The alcohol in the rum is going to evaporate, so use a little more total liquid.

Thanks for the info Ed. Although I bake quite a bit, I'm pretty cautious when it comes to tweaking baking recipes and wouldn't have been sure that something like this would work.

Thankyou Ludja... There was indeed a little magic to your search efforts. I checked out the recipe but I think it is beyond  the reach of my cooking talents.

Hi Jim,

I just rememberd a recipe that my Mom made that we all love--it is the *one* doctored cake mix that she made and it is very good. It's a whiskey cake, but I"m thinking that rum might also make a good substitute--and in fact my mom may have done this. It's very easy to make and great to eat any time of day (breakfast included). It also travels and keeps well. We would bring this on weeklong trips at a cottage rental at a lake or the beach.

Let me know if you give this a try! click

• 1 month later...

One of the popular rum cake recipes here in Puerto Rico is the Bacardi Rum Cake. It's very simple to make because you use a yellow cake mix but it is very good, very light.

1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

1 18 1/2 oz. yellow cake mix

1 3 3/4 pkg. Jell-O Vanilla Instant Pudding and PIe Filling

4 eggs

1/2 cup cold water

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1/2 cup Bacardi dark rum

If using yellow cake mix with pudding in it, omit instant pudding, add only 3 eggs and 1/3 cup oil.

Glaze: 1/4 lb. butter

1/4 cup water

1 cup sugar

1/2 cup Bacardi dark rum

Heat oven to 325F. Grease & flour 10" tube or 12 cup Bundt pan. Sprinkle nuts over bottom. Mix all cake ingredients and pour over nuts. Bake 1 hr. Cool. Invert on serving plate. Prick top and spoon and brush glaze evenly over top and sides. Allow cake to absorb glaze. Repeat until glaze is used up.

Glaze: Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 min. stirring constantly. Remove from heat and stir in rum carefully.

I've made the Bacardi Rum cake using a cake mix....it's really very good, actually.

You can use almost any firm cake and soak it with a rum simple syrup to get a rum cake. Use the recipe for the Bacardi rum cakes glaze, it's nice....and of course you can use a different brand of rum if you wish.

Heres a thread we had in the Pastry & Baking Forum recently on the same topic.

Here is the recipe I use. It calls for Whaler's Vanilla Rum, but I substitute Myer's since I don't buy flavored rums. I have used Mount Gay Eclipse and Appleton's VX as well, so any similar rums should give you good results.

Almost Tortuga Rum Cake

Source: Newsgroup rec.food.recipes

Serving size: 12

Tortuga Rum isn't available for sale to the public. It's only produced in the Caribbean and used in Tortuga Rum cake. Whaler's Vanille Rum should be a close second.

Basic Cake Mix

2 cups cake flour

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

4 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup butter, cut into bits

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

For the Cake

1/2 cup finely chopped walnuts

1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix

1/2 cup milk

4 eggs

1/2 cup Whaler's Vanille Rum - Hawaiian-style rum

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Rum Soaking Glaze

1/2 cup butter (NO SUBSTITUTE)

1/4 cup water

1 cup granulated sugar

1/2 cup Whaler's Vanille Rum - Hawaiian-style rum

For the Basic Cake Mix: Use an electric mixer on low speed to combine the ingredients in a large mixing bowl until the mix is the consistency of fine gravel, and all of the particles are almost equal in size. (Basic Cake Mix may be stored in a container in the refrigerator for 3 months. This makes about 5 cups of mix and may be multiplied for other recipes as needed.)

For the Cake: Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Spray a large (12-cup size) Bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. Sprinkle the chopped nuts into the bottom.

Place Basic Cake Mix, pudding mix, milk, eggs, rum, oil and vanilla extract in a large bowl and combine on medium speed with an electric mixer for about 2 or 3 minutes. Scrape down the bowl halfway through. Batter should be very smooth. Pour into prepared Bundt pan and level out top. Bake until fully golden and tester comes out clean and cake springs back - about 55 minutes. Remove from oven and place on cooling rack while making soaking glaze.

Rum Soaking Glaze: In a small saucepan combine butter, water and sugar. Bring to a boil carefully as mixture boils over very easily. Reduce to a simmer and cook until sugar is dissolved and syrup is combine well and a little thicker. Remove from heat and add the rum and mix to combine.

While cake is still cooling, pour hot syrup into and on top of cake. There is a lot of syrup and if cake doesn't soak it up right away just wait a couple minutes and add the rest. It will take time to soak it up.

Cool cake completely in Bundt pan before turning out onto serving platter.

This cake is delicate, so once it is turned out, it cannot be moved around easily. Can be eaten when fully cool, but it is better the next day.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the additional recipes. I tried Ed Hamilton's suggestion of accounting for the evaporation and used the ratios he suggested and the cake was great. It was

very dense after it cooled but after I frosted it and plated it, :biggrin: it was to die for.