• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pizza Help

Alec Hart

Don't forget Tacconelli's has a location near the Moorestown Mall too.

Is that the same Tacconelli family that operates the store in Port Richmond, or is it like Pat's King of Steaks, where the original store is in the hands of one branch of the family and the franchises are owned by another, and the two don't speak to one another? (I've eaten at one of the franchises--Oliveri Prince of Steaks in the RTM; Herb Oliveri is forbidden from using the name "Pat's" within a (I think) five-mile radius of 9th and Passyunk--and I think it inferior to the orignal Pat's.)

The way I understood it, Papa Tacconelli is a one-man show in Port Richmond.

Without going too Googling mad, I was able to find this write up The 70 year old Philadelphia pizza making institution has crossed the Delaware River and has opened a second location in Maple Shade across from the Moorestown Mall. The pizza oven is from the same manufacturer as the original oven in Philadelphia.

That of course does not directly answer the question, nor have I been to the original, but seems to indicate it's not a pretend franchise.

Cool Mama Bell also liked it. But we both think Pizza Fresca is pretty close.

The way I heard it was that there was some sort of falling out between the father and son (or it might be son-in-law), so the younger one moved across the bridge and set up shop across from the mall.

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

Don't forget Tacconelli's has a location near the Moorestown Mall too. Also no need to go all the way to Trenton to get great Jersey pizza.  Pizza Fresca (website) in Marlton is excellent.

I think I mentioned in the Joisy forum a while back that in my trips up there, I've found the "Best of" in South Jersey Magazine to be shockingly accurate for a small time publication.  Rightfully so Pizza Fresca has gotten a few Best Ofs.

For your trips across the Delaware, here is their latest "Best of" but previous years are still worthwhile.  In fact I think their initial in 2003 may still be the best as I guess sometimes you have to mix in new places for variety. 

I think you may need a password.

I must make the distinction here that Delorenzo's in Trenton is tomato pie as opposed to pizza. The pictures from Pizza Fresco look to me like ordinary pizza, and in no way am I suggesting it is any less good, just that Trenton is famous for a different kind of pizza experience, the tomato pie. Where tomato is the main ingredient and cheese is almost an afterthought. Impossibly thin crust and just an amzing pie. Then if want to start me on the clam pie, well...

Jeff

Fresca actually may not have a super distinctive style, but it’s not quite New York style, not quite designer but a little of both. They do have more than their share of interesting creations such as the ballpark, Mexican, etc.

As far as the sauce being boss, I looked it up and it’s still around. Years and years ago when I worked in Huntingdon Valley, the guys at the office lived and died for Maggio’s in Southampton. . I didn’t go as ga-ga as they did, but the one thing I loved was the sauce. Kind of like Tacconelli’s it’s where the sauce and cheese are swirled in but more sauce than traditional NY.

Anyway, I have no idea how much they’ve changed since I last tried them in 1987 (gulp) but if longevity means anything, they’ve been around since 1976 and I do know a lot of people who thought they were the gurus of pizza.

Maggio's website

Nobody eats at that restaurant anymore. It's always too crowded.

---Yogi Berra

The way I heard it was that there was some sort of falling out between the father and son (or it might be son-in-law), so the younger one moved across the bridge and set up shop across from the mall.

If true, then this is sort of like the situation with Pat's Steaks.

However, it sounds like the son(-in-law) learned well from the master.

What is it about Philly family businesses where the next generation can't get along? (In addition to these two, there is also the case of I. Goldberg, the Army-Navy store. The 13th and Chestnut store--the genuine article--is unrelated to the ones in the 'burbs.)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

A lot of family businesses have a succession/similar problem in time.

Family businesses probably do make up a disproportionate share of Philly area businesses, and of food-related businesses, which is why we're noticing it here.

Herb aka "herbacidal"

Tom is not my friend.

• 1 month later...

We missed the last table at Melograno right at opening by seconds so, headed up the block to Mama Palmas, and had a really nice meal.

What they call a Panzanella isn't really a bread salad, just very good mixed greens with tomatoes, fresh mozz, and more croutons than usual, in a bold balsamic dressing. It may not be authentic, but it's tasty...

A four-mushroom pizza was very good, if not surprising. The caramelized onion and Prosciutto was delicious, the sweet onions and salty ham playing off the tangy tomato sauce.

Crusts were good, but not distinctively great, this is more of a topping-centric pizza destination.

Flying Fish Grand Cru on tap was a good accompaniment, a nice fruity Belgian-ish Ale.

Edited by philadining (log)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Where is there still good pizza in Philly (I tried searching for this, but I can’t figure out a way to just search the PA forum and mostly what I found was loooooong Pizza Club threads)? I recently moved to South Philly and now I live within delivery distance of Marra’s, which I used to like. So, I ordered from them over the weekend and it wasn’t very good. Not bad, just disappointing.

I was disappointed that last two times I got a pie from Giannfranco’s as well. Is Taconelli’s still good? I haven’t been there in over five years. Where’s the good pizza?

--Alec

Celebre's has changed a bit over the years, but to me, it's still the quintessential South Philly pie.

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=30610&st=0 (first page)

(discussed elsewhere) http://www.phillyblog.com/philly/showthrea...94&page=1&pp=10

• 7 months later...
Fresca actually may not have a super distinctive style, but it’s not quite New York style, not quite designer but a little of both.  They do have more than their share of interesting creations such as the ballpark, Mexican, etc.

As far as the sauce being boss, I looked it up and it’s still around.  Years and years ago when I worked in Huntingdon Valley, the guys at the office lived and died for Maggio’s in Southampton. .  I didn’t go as ga-ga as they did, but the one thing I loved was the sauce.  Kind of like Tacconelli’s it’s where the sauce and cheese are swirled in but more sauce than traditional NY.

Anyway, I have no idea how much they’ve changed since I last tried them in 1987 (gulp) but if longevity means anything, they’ve been around since 1976 and I do know a lot of people who thought they were the gurus of pizza.

Maggio's website

Maybe it's because I gres up in New York but NOBODY who did could compare Maggio's to NY pizza. I've lived in Huntingdon Valley since before Maggio's opened and have not yet grown to like their pizza.

We love Taconelli's and have enjoyed Pizza Rustica (2nd St) -- but Maggio's? No way. :wub: