• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheese in the triangle

Popcorn

so I recently was gifted with a largish hunk of Neal's backyard cheddar, a first for me, and something of an awakening. It's a little moldy in spots, but transcendent tastewise. (and I have no idea if the mold is meant to be there or not)

So eating it, it occurred to me that I don't know a whole lot about the cheeses available in the area, what's good, and where to get it. I generally get my cheese at Southern Season or the Durham Wholefoods, and typically stick to gorgonzola dolce, comte, and reblochon (sp?).

I'm wondering if people can recommend favorite cheeses available in the area. I'm not a huge goat fan but otherwise I'm pretty much willing to try anything. I'm looking for the absolutely brilliant top rate cheeses... any serving suggestions would be appreciated as well.

The regularly buy the same cheeses from Whole Foods and then branch out and try something I've never had before. My regulars are Valdeon, which is a Spanish blue that's wrapped in chestnut leaves, 1 year old aged Gruyere, and 1 year aged Manchego. We always seem to have some kind of cheddar around the house, but most often it's used in making Mexican so I don't spend a lot on it. When I want creamier cheeses (like a double cream or a triple cream) I usual visit Fowler's and ask the cheese person for some advice.

Bryan C. Andregg

"Give us an old, black man singing the blues and some beer. I'll provide the BBQ."

Thankfully Whole Foods in Durham stocks Sottocenere, a firm cow's milk cheese with shavings of black truffles. It's one of my favorite cheeses and makes eggs transcendent. They also carry Brillat Savarin, but I only enjoy that when it's really ripe and has developed some more interesting flavors.

Earthfare has a pretty good selection of cheeses. Including locally made, and U.S. made cheeses in addtion to the usual suspects. There's one in Raleigh at Brier Creek and another in Chapel Hill in the old Southern Season building.

I've only been to the Brier Creek location, I'd say their cheese counter is equiv. the the Wellspring/Whole Foods on Wade. Or at least close enough for me.

Last time I was in Figs, it was a small but interesting selection, including some Cowgirl Creamery cheeses. Weaver Street Market in Carrboro has an interesting selection, too.

If you're not a goat cheese fan, seek out Elodie Farms goat cheeses. They're made near Raleigh and are flavored with all kinds of interesting things, from figs to peach to jalapeno to garlic and sundried tomato. He sells at the Raleigh farmers market and I believe is also at Figs.

I've also had some cow's milk feta made by Chapel Hill Creamery which was mild and good - although I like the goaty cheese!