• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Paris Restaurant Recommendations - 2008

Jeff L

Hi All,

It's been about 4 years since I've been back to Paris, and I've suddenly found myself here for a couple of days.

I've been to some old favourites such as Chez Denise near Les Halles and someplace else also in the same area.

I'm with some none-too foodie types but I'd dearly love to be able to munch on something lovely that won't exclude them. Around Euro30-40/person is the budget and we're staying in Le Marais.

How's our chances of a meal at Le Comptoir if we walk in? Knowing it's low season now I'm kinda confident.

How's L'Os a Moelle doing these days? Last time I was there, I almost died with happiness.

Thanks for reading and for your help, in advance.

Cheers,

Pein

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Hi Pein, I would encourage you to look at the past few pages on the Forum and then do a search for say Marais and favorites. I'll see if I can put a topic together for you and Frege that has some topics on current favorites.

Good eating.

John

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Come to Britain, it's only a train ride away  :biggrin:

Um, thanks mate, appreciate it... but I lived in London for a few years, and Paris was my escape from Blighty so there you go...

Thanks John. You're a champ. I had dinner tonight at Au Bourgignon Du Marais. Excellent escargots, fantastic terrine canard with pistachio and mmmm Andouiliette.... Full of burgundy and ready for bed, and a day of agonising tomorrow.

Come to Britain, it's only a train ride away  :biggrin:

Um, thanks mate, appreciate it... but I lived in London for a few years, and Paris was my escape from Blighty so there you go...

Thanks John. You're a champ. I had dinner tonight at Au Bourgignon Du Marais. Excellent escargots, fantastic terrine canard with pistachio and mmmm Andouiliette.... Full of burgundy and ready for bed, and a day of agonising tomorrow.

Wasn't that sold? Is is still good?

We were just staying in the Marais a week ago.

Had a good lunch on Rue de Turenne at Cafe des Musees.

And, a very good dinner at Le Pamplet, right near the Marche des enfants rouges, just off rue Turenne.

Our favorite boulangerie is there, also, as it were, on the rue Turenne right off the Place des Vosges: Levain du Marais. The best pain au chocolat in the city, get it warm, first thing in the morning.

DON'T GO to Bar a Huitres near Bastille....Didn't have a good experience at all this time...although in the past its been ok.

Got in to Le Comptoir. Arrived at 6:00, and asked for a table that evening. They checked and said to come back at 8:30 and we'd have to sit outside. We did, and it was good. They provide these very cute blankets, and there are heaters and we weren't cold at all. Gone is the pate they just set down in front of you. The food was good, though.

Numerous other places...hoping to find time to write decent reviews!

Philly Francophiles

Good morning!

Many thanks to everyone, especially Tarte Tartin!!

Au Bourgignon du Marais was good. I was there a few years back and only stumbled past while walking and decided, let's eat here. We ate: 6 oysters No.3, 6 escargots, a terrine de carnard, magret de carnard and an andouiillete... Nice wines from you know where and a sensational warm chocolate cake washed down with a Macon dessert wine... that one blew the budget at Euro65!!!

I will head to Levain du Marais now!! Your post, Tarte, just reminded me of many things in the area!! I guess 4 years can be an eternity, but with a little hint, it comes back!! Like Proust!

DOn't agonize. Go to La Regalade, Yves Camdeborde's original restaurant before Comptoir. New chef, new owner, somewhat new menu. They've taken a year or two to find their way and it's now terrific.

Will do hugh. Thanks for the heads-up. Some people have said the same and I will make the trip out to the 12th!! With or without my companions. Hope the wife is up to it!!

In the Marais I would not miss Breizh café. You might also want to try the Café des Musées (49, rue de Turenne), a very nice bistro which serves simple yet very good cuisine.

And, you'll need to make a trip to the 14th, not the 12th :smile:

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

Thanks Phyllis, I think the 12th is where L'Os a Moelle are right? or left? :biggrin:

Le Comptoir for lunch today, two of us, no worries. Got in around 3pm. Sat by the door. The soup of the day for my good lady, and the lobster salad. I wolfed down the pot au feu terrine and the pied de porc. Wickedly good. Snuck in a creme brulee after and an armagnac.

Will probably go to Cafe des Musees in a few minutes.

Hope the luck with my 'no reservations' policy holds out!!

Thanks again.

Thanks Phyllis, I think the 12th is where L'Os a Moelle are right? or left?  :biggrin:

Le Comptoir for lunch today, two of us, no worries. Got in around 3pm. Sat by the door. The soup of the day for my good lady, and the lobster salad. I wolfed down the pot au feu terrine and the pied de porc. Wickedly good. Snuck in a creme brulee after and an armagnac.

Will probably go to Cafe des Musees in a few minutes.

Hope the luck with my 'no reservations' policy holds out!!

Thanks again.

Let us know about the cafe des musées. Becareful with no reservations on the weekend, you might be dissapointed. I am going to the Breizh café tonight :smile:

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com

No worries... might bump into you there!! If you're reading and it's almost 8pm, I'll be in a North Face vest... kinda Chinese looking guy with glasses and unshaven and my wife in also a North Face fleecy thing, black.

No problems with the Cafe. Popped in at around 1.30 after a trying session at Gare du Lyon trying to re-arrange travel plans for Monday, and my constitution and general good will towards the world was restored. Rabbit was the plat du jour, which I had after the foie gras maison. We also tried the Potage St Germain... yummy like yummy should be, and the boeuf tatare. Excellent glasses of Cote du Rhone to wash things down and reacquire equilibirum.

• 1 month later...

I've tried to get my bearings, but I am having a hard time seeing the forest from the trees. Before I planned this trip I could hardly name a single restaurant in Paris. There is so much great information in this forum -- I've done some searching and browsing, but I am overwhelmed.

My girlfriend and I will be in Paris for six days in April. It'll be our first trip and I definitely want to make the most of my dining. When visitors comes to my city, New York, I first direct them to the places I feel food minded travelers should really take note of. The places it would be a shame to miss. Such lists will never be comprehensive, and will always be subjective, but it's a good way to start planning.

While I'm in Paris, I want to eat at the restaurants that are at the forefront of the food scene, the institutions that are most endearing, and anywhere else that just exudes excellence. I want to eat expensive food and cheap food. And of course I have some ideas about what particular dishes or dining experiences I should seek out in Paris, but I'd like to hear thoughts from it's residence or frequent visitors.

On our trip we'll probably have one or two dinners that run 200-300 Euros total (that pretty pricey by NYC standards, but I assume Restaurants with stars can get much more costly). Most of the other nights we'll do something adventurous, romantic, fun, or just plain delicious, but at lower price points. And then there are lunches and snacks to consider.

So hit me with the first things that come to mind. I'm sure there are many good threads already existing that address what I'm looking for, please direct me to them. And by all means, give me some original discussion right here in this thread.

By the way, we are staying at the Westin right by the Jardin de Tuileries.

note: Spring may fill up especially quick in April (during your visit) because I believe they are closed the month of March, so there will likely be a backlog of diners waiting to get back in there and get their Spring fix!

Another newish restaurant getting a lot of talk is La Bigarrade in the 17th (106 Rue Nollet) which would probably be worth a visit.

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

• 8 months later...

Host's Note:

I'm going to bump this up because it contains the merging of all topics that had posts in 2008 concerning where to eat in Paris. I think you'll find links to prior ones as well - please report those that are broken to me by PM. Thanks.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris