• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

East Tokyo

hitmanoo

We were on our way out this evening for some sushi at East Tokyo in East Hanover, only to discover that the restaurant is closed.

This is (or was) the sushi restaurant on Route 10 East, adjacent to the bowling alley, next to the movie theater. Apparently, their lease expired, and they chose not to renew. According to a sign in the window, they plan to relocate somewhere in the area within the next 6 months. They made mention of another East Tokyo location in Randolph on Route 10 East, though I've never seen this other location.

Rosie, you'll have to add this to your list of openings/closings.

I must say, I'm upset about this closing, as I felt that East Tokyo was one of the better sushi restaurants in the area. Perhaps being so close to a bowling alley was their undoing.

Any recommendations for some other sushi restaurants to try in the East Hanover/Livingston/West Orange area?

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

It was a pretty decent sushi place, to be sure. Its also where I learned about Sake Bombers.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

We were recently at Ariyoshi Japanese Restaurant 54-56 W South Orange Ave, South Orange (973-378-8818); BYO and thought it was excellent.

We also like Zen, Livingston.

Recently returned with a party of 6 to Kyoto, Florham Park and no one was happy with their food.Additionally, the seats were sticky. Everytime we leaned back our clothes would stick to the chair.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

We were recently at Ariyoshi Japanese Restaurant 54-56 W South Orange Ave, South Orange  (973-378-8818); BYO and thought it was excellent.

We also like Zen, Livingston.

Recently returned with a party of 6 to Kyoto, Florham Park and no one was happy with their food.Additionally, the seats were sticky. Everytime we leaned back our clothes would stick to the chair.

Is Ariyoshis on the corner of S. Orange Ave and Prospect St?

As for Kyoto, I was only their once, and was very disappointed in the food. I don't think I'll be going back any time soon.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Ariyoshi  is in the old location of A Taste of Asia.

Is A Taste of Asia no longer in South Orange?