• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Western Restaurants in Richmond, BC?

kiero

I tend to enter Richmond quite often lately and while I enjoy a good Chinese meal at various restaurants out there, I find it hard to find a good Western restaurant in Richmond. Most seem to be typical chains like Earl's and Cactus Club. Can anyone suggest something a good place that's not so typical out in Richmond? By Western, I don't mean cowboys and mechanical bulls.

Short answer, there is none. The long version would see you stop at Papi's in Steveston, which truthfully I haven't eaten at since Ken Iaci took over, with the exception of the Cantina at the back, and they make a very good pizza.

Truthfully, there is so much absolutely superb asian, Chinese (in all its' gloroius variants), Japanese, Korean, Malay, Vietnamese etc. why bother looking for western? Downtown is fifteen minute away over the Aurther Lang, probably closer to central Richmnod than Steveston, so enjoy the terroir of your locale and gorge on asian.

No to belittle your question, but a better question might be why does Richmond not have a good Thai restaurant? Hell, I'd settle for an average Thai restaurant.

More. (My wife has recorded some idotic documentary on ABBA on the PVR off PBS, there's no way, I'm going to watch that. Doing this is better.) There are a large number of hyper average Greek places scattered around Richmond. There are lots of old pre-asian caucasian places that are still managing to hang on around Richmond. Roosters Quarters Montral Chicken, couple red sauce Italian joints, along with forementioned greek, none merit a visit however.

Interestingly, Dem Bones a place that I haven't been to in ten years is closed for renos. Maybe (and this I admit is very unlikely) they've found barbecue religion and it will be good when it reopens. One can hope.

Steveston is filled with very very dreary wesetrn joints. Steveston Seafood House, Shady Island, Daves, et al. STAY AWAY.