• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Too much thyme on my hands

john b

I couldn't resist the Styx pun...

I have a bunch of thyme left over after only needing a few tsps for a recipe. Can I freeze the rest, and if so, on the stem or off??

John

"I can't believe a roasted dead animal could look so appealing."--my 10 year old upon seeing Peking Duck for the first time.

I find fresh herbs don't freeze very well. I usually air-dry thyme stems on a cooking rack over a cookie sheet (goes fast if you have a convection oven with a fan-only setting) and then remove the leaves from the stem for storage. Then you can use it as a fresher-tasting alternative when recipes call for dried thyme.

~A

Anita Crotty travel writer & mexican-food addictwww.marriedwithdinner.com

Thanks a lot for putting that song in my head, John! As I was salad-spinning a TON of thyme, it's all I could sing. AAAAACK! :wacko: A friend was doing me a favor when he turned over half of his herb garden last weekend (really), but since I'm single, there's only so much I can use. I mean, REALLY.

I'm making a compound butter with some of it, since I know that will freeze well. I'll dry some more, and also give some away.

At some point, one can have too much thyme on his/her hands!! But they smell good after stripping it off the stem... :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I find fresh herbs don't freeze very well. I usually air-dry thyme stems on a cooking rack over a cookie sheet (goes fast if you have a convection oven with a fan-only setting) and then remove the leaves from the stem for storage. Then you can use it as a fresher-tasting alternative when recipes call for dried thyme.

~A

Hmmm. I'd worry that a convection fan would blow the little thyme leaves around the oven as they dried. (Don't they detach from the stems easily once dried?) Have you done this, and had it work okay?

My favorite soup is... thyme soup! My mum makes it every winter, when we go to my ancestors' village in Lleida (west Catalonia) to get some wonderful Garrigues extra virgin oil.

Put some dry bread in a plate and scald it with water in which you've boiled a sizeable sprig of thyme. Add some olive oil and maybe a bit of cheese or garlic or an egg and you are set for something I wouldn't exchange for lobster bisque... It's a poor man's soup but oh so delicious.

Edited by Mar Calpena (log)

Middlebrow Catalan gastronomy??????

http://baixagastronomia.blogspot.com/