• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mazos Burgers - Milwaukee, WI

ronnie_suburban

We first moved to Neenah Wisconsin in 1958. There was a place in Menasha called Rudi's which was open whenever the fish were not biting(I'm not kidding) but mostly popular when after 10 pm the bar folk were looking for food. EVERYTHING had butter and was charcoal grilled. Rudi's had 6 stools and the lines were often out the door. The brats soaked in butter after grilling, the steak sandwiches came with a large pat of butter cooked to order and here is the important aspect, the burgers were grilled with a large pat of butter inside to your specification. 'Cannibal' sandwiches abounded even at UW Madison Student Union affairs.

Sadly the trend toward food safe McD's type of burgers continues across Wisconsin. There are only two places I will eat a burger at now, Kroll's in Green Bay and Chili John's in Beaver Dam. Both are really nostalgic places for me and you can't get a rare burger but you can and do get butter with your burger.

Sad to here about Mazos but that's the way the world is going. -Dick

• 3 weeks later...

Last night I was a couple of doors down from Mazo's at the Aisan market. I was so close to going there for a quick bite (I haven't been there in about a year) but I just didn't have a taste for a burger. Reading this post I am glad I didn't. Medium well? WTF? Last time I was there my burger was a perfect medium rare.

Explore the food, beverages, and people of Wisconsin EatWisconsin.com