• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Pork Shop

The journey began at Matt's Big Breakfast in downtown Phoenix. The salami and bacon were so good I wanted to know who was the purveyor of the pork. Matt Pool gave us directions to Queen Creek, and an hour drive later we are at THE PORK SHOP.

The Pork Shop, 3359 Combs Rd. Queen Creek, AZ, 85242, (480) 987-0101 has only one white meat, (only pork products sold here) and they know all about the pig.

gallery_35305_1773_53010.jpg

Owner Matt Combs

gallery_35305_1773_42360.jpg

The vault of pork

gallery_35305_1773_149351.jpg

Nothin' says lovin' like bacon in the oven

gallery_35305_1773_169475.jpg

Ready to come home with you

gallery_35305_1773_107492.jpg

Various flavors of Bratwurst and Italian Sausage

gallery_35305_1773_58783.jpg

Pork Chops, Spare Ribs, Baby Back Ribs, Loin, and Roasts

gallery_35305_1773_66649.jpg

Jason knows pork

gallery_35305_1773_81175.jpg

Western Sage, Southern Style, Maple, and Jalapeno Sausage

gallery_35305_1773_120169.jpg

gallery_35305_1773_124686.jpg

Salami, The Pork Shop's own "Slim Jim", and Pigs Ears for your dog

gallery_35305_1773_46638.jpg

A trip to THE PORK SHOP is truly a trip.

Edited by ahurwich (log)

ahurwich- you ROCK! Thanks for this! Did you happen to get store hours? Looks like I've got an addition to my weekend activities.

Have you actually eaten any of their products? What did you get and what did you like?

Genny

ahurwich- you ROCK!  Thanks for this!  Did you happen to get store hours?  Looks like I've got an addition to my weekend activities.

Have you actually eaten any of their products?  What did you get and what did you like? 

Genny

I have had the bacon, western sage sausage, baby back and spare ribs, and pork chops and all have been great.

ahurwich

• 2 weeks later...

The Pork Shop is a bit difficult to get to but well worth the drive! These people know pork and the quality of ingredients is very good.

We tasted a couple of the cured meat samples at the counter and they were all good, but didn't buy any of them. What we did get was Sun Devil Sticks (these are like the Slim Jim shape) which are cured and spicey! Great snack! Also the hot & sweet summer sausage was good and certainly of better quality than the Hickory Farms stand-by. We picked out some nice pork steaks to grill and they were very meaty and yummy. The cured pepper bacon was a little bit sweet and a lot peppered and very nice. Lastly we picked up some Italian sausage, 2 hot and 2 sweet. The sweet had better flavor than the hot for sure. What spoke so loudly with all of these products was the freshness and quality. If you can throw the cooler in the car and head out to Queen Creek, you are in for a real treat!

• 11 months later...

More and more menus around town hail their pork from The Pork Shop in Queen Creek. I made the journey to the mecca of pork yesterday and picked up a bounty of product. I got hooked on the peppered bacon while dining at Matt's Big Breakfast, but now I can not leave the shop without buying the regular version. The breakfast sausage is far and away the best that I have ever consumed. My favorite type is the Western Sage, but I also bought: Southern Style, Jalapeno and Maple Syrup links. I assure you after tasting the artisan bacon and sausage from The Pork Shop then you will start making the journey to Queen Creek and leave the supermarket varieties behind. I also picked up a pork butt for some pulled pork sandwiches. The house-made capicolla is out of this world and a welcome departure from the commercial charcuterie that is widely available in Phoenix. The Hot Italian sausage was hailed as the best stuff in the place by my "pork tour guide" Jason . For fans of fried cheese, the provolone sausage when pan fried has bits of crispy cheese scattered thru out the sausage patty. If pork belly is your thing call a week in advance to special order some of the nicest "belly" money can buy. All this talk around breakfast time means some biscuits and gravy are soon to come.

Edited by molto e (log)

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

• 6 months later...

I live in Queen Creek and finally made it here yesterday. Picked up some pepper bacon and western sage sausage. We had a great pork fat filled breakfast this morning and everything was excellent!

I'm going to head back down there later this week to pick up some brats and ribs for this weekend.

Highly recommended!

Do they ship? Are they online?

Doc,

I do not think that they have a website or ship, but call them and maybe they would ship it. Next time you hit the dessert, I try to keep a stash of their product in the deep freeze.

Molto E

I live in Queen Creek and finally made it here yesterday.  Picked up some pepper bacon and western sage sausage.  We had a great pork fat filled breakfast this morning and everything was excellent!

I'm going to head back down there later this week to pick up some brats and ribs for this weekend.

Highly recommended!

Tom,

Their stuff is the bomb!! I need to make my trek out that way for provisions...

Molto E

Oh man. This is dangerous.

How far a detour off I-10 is this place if one were headed south from Phoenix to Tucson? What kind of pork do they have there? Are there hog farms nearby, or is this stuff shipped in from the Heartland somewhere?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Oh man. This is dangerous.

How far a detour off I-10 is this place if one were headed south from Phoenix to Tucson? What kind of pork do they have there? Are there hog farms nearby, or is this stuff shipped in from the Heartland somewhere?

Chris,

The pork come from Kansas and all curing and prep is done at the store. The shop is a bit west from the I-10 but I think you can just hop on the 60 and go west and as long you are heading that direction anyway then maybe it would add 40-60 minutes of travelling time. Maybe Tom can give a better estimate since he lives out that way.

Molto E

Edited by molto e (log)

From the 10 you're looking at 40-60 minutes, depending on how fast you drive. :) It's definitely worth it though. I know my heart hates me for it, but we've been finding ways to add bacon to everything this week. Pasta, sandwiches, soups. I can't wait to head back on Friday!

I didn't see it, but I'm wondering if they do other bacons like pancetta or guanciale. If not, maybe I can get the cuts and cure it myself. Hmm...

I didn't see it, but I'm wondering if they do other bacons like pancetta or guanciale.  If not, maybe I can get the cuts and cure it myself.  Hmm...

Tom,

You can special order any cut of pork if you give them a week's notice.

Molto E