• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saturday Afternoon Lunch

GordonCooks

I feel a little less than confident offering advice, not living in Toronto, but I've had my share of saturday lunches in your fair city over the years - and nobody was answering Gordon - please flame-away if you locals think this is terrible advice these days!

Over the years, and fairly recently, I've had very nice lunches at Gypsy Co-op and at Peter Pan, if you're out on Queen West. I like Pangaea better, but I can understand the desire for a change of pace.

But I think my favorite casual weekend lunch, in any city on the planet, is a bowl of onion soup and a crepe at Le Papillon. I've been doing it once or twice a year for 30 years. I know it's nothing bold or innovative, and my affection is likely colored by sentimentality, but I have yet to be disappointed. And that includes a visit while still rapt in a hazy Susur afterglow a couple of months ago. It's not in your desired neighborhood (they're on Church near Front) but worth consideration if you can resist the siren call of a peameal sandwich from the market a couple of blocks away.

(Now I'll retreat safely across the border, and return to lurk mode...)

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I feel a little less than confident offering advice, not living in Toronto, but I've had my share of saturday lunches in your fair city over the years -  and nobody was answering Gordon -  please flame-away if you locals think this is terrible advice these days!

Over the years, and fairly recently, I've had very nice lunches at Gypsy Co-op and at Peter Pan, if you're out on Queen West. I like Pangaea better, but I can understand the desire for a change of pace.

But I think my favorite casual weekend lunch, in any city on the planet, is a bowl of onion soup and a crepe at Le Papillon. I've been doing it once or twice a year for 30 years. I know it's nothing bold or innovative, and my affection is likely colored by sentimentality, but I have yet to be disappointed. And that includes a visit while still rapt in a hazy Susur afterglow a couple of months ago. It's not in your desired neighborhood (they're on Church near Front) but worth consideration if you can resist the siren call of a peameal sandwich from the market a couple of blocks away.

(Now I'll retreat safely across the border, and return to lurk mode...)

Any advice is appreciated - btw - I don't live in Toronto but I'm there at least every other month

Le Papillion! Brilliant suggestion. Very retro! But classically good. And right next to the St. Lawrence Market.

For a more casual, noisy, elbows on the table lunch, I sing the praises of Terroni, at least the one on Queen West.

Malcolm Jolley

Gremolata.com

I just read somewhere (NOW, Toronto Life???) that they were serving some decent cheeses now. Glad to hear it's okay as am required to meet friends there later this week. Wine and cheese shouldn't kill me....:)

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I just read somewhere (NOW, Toronto Life???) that they were serving some decent cheeses now.  Glad to hear it's okay as am required to meet friends there later this week.  Wine and cheese shouldn't kill me....:)

Nice selection and decent cuts of 7 yr old Quebec cheddar, bleu des causses, epoisses berthault, a comte, and couple that slip my mind.

• 8 months later...

Upthread, I referenced my habit of getting lunch at Le Papillon whenever in Toronto: I think I have an unbroken record of always eating there once whenever I'm in town, through their three locations, literally about 30 years, and I suspect not a single change to the menu.

While there are obviously plenty of more interesting dining options in Toronto, I'm always happy to have gone there, and the friends I drag along generally profess an affection for the place by the end of the meal, so I don't feel too bad about it... Here's why I go:

gallery_23992_3056_9434.jpg

gallery_23992_3056_42581.jpg

gallery_23992_3056_15352.jpg

I've had Soupe a L'Oignon Gratinée and Crêpes in Paris, and Montreal, and NYC, and countless other places, and these remain my faves... although I'll admit that the preference could just be due to an early imprinting of these as the ideals. Anyway, I'm going to keep going until the place closes!

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

JK Wine bar is great too for smaller bites - just make sure you have a lot of time to hang around for a table. The place is usually rammed.

I keep meaning to eat at JK's resto, but just haven't gotten to it.

He's opening up JK Gardiner this week I think? Or soon, at any rate! I look forward to trying that.

foodpr0n.com 11/01/17: A map of macarons in Toronto // For free or for a fee - bring your bottle! corkagetoronto.com

• 3 months later...

Le Papillion! Brilliant suggestion. Very retro! But classically good. And right next to the St. Lawrence Market.

I went last night with my uncle as I live in the area. This place was OK but not great. There are many places in the area I would go to before here.

officially left egullet....