• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rec's for a good bottle of red wine

jilli42

Could you give us a little more information on price range, and your general tastes or pairing for this red?

I always attempt to have the ratio of my intelligence to weight ratio be greater than one. But, I am from the midwest. I am sure you can now understand my life's conundrum.

My advice is to walk into a wine shop (or liquor store or grocery store with a decent wine selection) that has a reputation for knowledgeable, friendly staff. Pose your question to them. If they are good they will ask you:

1. What wines have you had that you've liked?

2. What wines have you had that you haven't liked?

3. What is your budget (this is not an insulting question -- just want to make a good recommendation)

4. Is the wine for you or a gift?

5. Are you serving it with food? What food exactly?

6. When do you plan on drinking it?

7. If a gift, what do you know of the recipient's taste?

If you don't have a good wine shop, you can tell us so we can help as best we can.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero

As a blind recommendation for a nice bottle of moderately priced, medium bodied red wine, right now I would recommend a 2003 French beaujolais. It was a very good vintage and excellent bottles are available for between $10 - $15. Ask your local wine merchant to recommend one.

With the limited information on hand, you may want to try the 2000 Norman Vineyards (San Luis Obispo) Zinfandel. It's a good everyday day wine, a bit smoky, nice fruit and medium bodied - goes for $9-12.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Best Cellars is a chain of wine shops that has a strong selection of wines under $15 and a friendly staff. If you do not have a local wine shop that you like, you might check out Best Cellars.

Best Cellars Dupont

1643 Connecticut Ave., NW

Washington, DC 20009

202-387-3146

As a blind recommendation for a nice bottle of moderately priced, medium bodied red wine, right now I would recommend a 2003 French beaujolais.  It was a very good vintage and excellent bottles are available for between $10 - $15.

Interesting. Care to name some names? I tasted a half dozen or so before giving up on the 2003 vintage. Some were OK (e.g. Château de Poncié, Château de la Pierreux regular and reserve), others were horrid (the normally delicious Brun L'Ancien Terres dorées). Though the vintage got rave reviews from some critics, I find myself siding with those who've declared it a disaster that produced unbalanced, fruit-heavy wines short on freshness, length and the mineral savour that, for me at least, is the appellation's primary attraction (detailed TNs on three wines here). I've had a lot more luck with gamay and gamay blends from the Loire in 2003.