• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reasonable accommodation in Paris

Christopher Haatuft

Ive never been to France, and dont know anything about Paris when it comes to vacationing there. Therefor I need some help on finding a affordable hotel somewhere practically located. I dont know if its possible but hopefully somewhere between 50 and 80 euros a night. Also I stayed at quite a few different agro-tourisms in Spain this summer, so that could be interesting as well.

Does anyone here have any tips?

A good website for discount hotels in Paris is Paris Hotels. You can search by location, stars, etc. I would say that "good location" is entirely subjective -- you may want to start by getting a good map of the city and studying it (cross-referencing addresses from a guide book) to get some idea of where the sights you're most interested in are located. Also, would you rather stay in a quieter, more residential area (my preference) or where you step outside your hotel and be in the thick of the action (some of my friends' preferences)? Another option, depending on how many nights you'll be in the city, and how many people are traveling together, is to rent an apartment. Many require 5-7 nights as the minimum stay. Just do a Google search on Paris apartment rentals and you'll have more than enough to keep you busy for a while :~).

I agree with busboy's suggestion re: renting an apt. depending on the length of your stay. (We were able to do this for 4 days, mid week). This worked out very well for us --both financially and convenience-wise. This arrangement makes it very easy to enjoy croissant and patisseries from local shops in the morning. We usually were out for most of the day and ate our 'big' meals at lunchtime while we were traveling around. Sometimes at night, it was great to just come back to our apt and have wine, cheese and sausages that we picked up.

It *is* a good idea to get an idea of where you would like to be based on things you'd like to see. One nice, centrally-located district is the Marais. (3rd and 4th arrondissement).

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Have a great time! When you narrow down your choices, check out copies of Let's Go (for Europe and for France) that date to the past few years. If your hotel is recommended by the Harvard student publication, try to choose something else. A couple of years ago, I stayed a week in a very nice, modestly priced small hotel in a very quiet neighborhood two or three blocks away from the main boulevard and thus, where there was little traffic. Unfortunately, it had just been included in Let's Go and the proprietor was as unhappy as I was. I had requested a quiet room and was placed on the top floor shared with only three other rooms. Unfortunately, two college students who had never been to Europe before were in the room next to mine. They came back to their room at one, two or three in the morning in high heels, drunk, vocal and once, with lost keys. Christmas time, of course, is different from summer break and I hasten to add, there are many wonderful college students who go to Paris for reasons the city appeals to you. Yet, I have been surprised by the number of my own students who travel in Europe during their winter breaks. (I agree with the other egullet readers who encourage you to rent an apartment from a reliable online resource.)

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

Actually, it was Bushey's suggestion to rent an apartment, but I second it as a friend of mine who had business there rented one and was quite happy with way things worked out. I'd like to rent an apartment because I'd like to shop the markets and cook for myself occasionally, while I'm there.

I'm a Left Bank guy myself and enjoyed staying in the Hotel Valadon or its sister hotel, the Latour Mauberg in the 7th and just generally hanging out in the 5th and 6th -- the Latin Quarter -- which, to be sure, are just across the river from the Marais.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Actually, it was Bushey's suggestion to rent an apartment, but I second it as a friend of mine who had business there rented one and was quite happy with way things worked out.  I'd like to rent an apartment because I'd like to shop the markets and cook for myself occasionally, while I'm there.

I'm a Left Bank guy myself and enjoyed staying in the Hotel Valadon or its sister hotel, the Latour Mauberg in the 7th and just generally hanging out in the 5th and 6th -- the Latin Quarter -- which, to be sure, are just across the river from the Marais.

Oops... sorry Bushey and Busboy... guess I was still a little sleepy!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

No problem -- I feel honored to be linked to busboy :wub:. I looked through some of the links I've saved as favorites, and here's a site that has some reasonsable studio and 1-bedroom apartments in the 6th, near rues Mazarine and

Guenegaud (sp?): Paris Bestlodge. If you do go the hotel route, however, I suggest looking around for a hotel that includes breakfast in their rates. Many times there are special promotions offered for Internet bookings. A wonderful continental breakfast of fresh juice, coffee, breads and croissants and yogurt for 2 can represent a signifcant deal. I can personally vouch for the high quality of breakfast at Hotel de Varenne, on rue Bourgogne in the 7th, near the Rodin Museum.

I agree with the apartment rental ideas given above, however, if you're still interested in affordable hotels, I have the following sources:

Under 100 E: see Heather Stimmler-Hall’s (of the Secrets of Paris Newsletter) article in the October 30, 2004 Timesonline mentioning: the Hotels Hospitel, College de France, Mayet, Regents, Leveque, Roubaix, Madeleine Opera, Langlois, Keppler and Des Arts – website links given for each.

Hotels Pas Chers: see Ethan Gilsdorf’s article in the October 2004 Paris Notes listing: the Hotels de Nesle, Saint-Jacques, Marignan, Le Vert Gallant, Port-Royal, Champ de Mars, Au Palais de Chaillot and Alcove & Agapes (B&B’s) – for websites you have to subscribe.

Affordable Hotels: see G.Y. Dryansky’s article in the October 2003 Conde Nast Traveler listing these under 100E at the time: Hotels des Bains, Delambre, Champs de Mars. Their website search doesn’t seem to go back that far.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Here is a pension in the 6th that my notes say charges 43 euros a night per person, including breakfast.  The site is not good, but if you click on the pictures, you get an idea of the place, and there is an email link.  The location is fabulous for the money.

I'm somewhat of an expert on Les Marronniers. I rented a small room there for a month when I first arrived in Paris which was a little less than 33$ a night I think. I planned on staying there while I looked for my own apartment and ended up staying eight months. Breakfast and dinner was included in the price. It's a lovely little place run by Marie who serves a breafast of baguettes, jam, coffee, yogurt, and juice every morning. Then at 7pm all the pensioniers (spelling?) sit down for a four-course meal. We had a mix of students and long term residents. It is VERY hard, if not impossible, to get a room there. You just need to get lucky. Marie speaks a speck of English and runs a very tight ship. If you can't get a room there, there is another pension in the building, which has many more rooms but is more like a dorm, than a home and not nearly as charming as Les Marronniers. Unfortunately, I can't remember the name just now, but will see if I can find it.

www.parisnotebook.wordpress.com