• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cheap Global knives

Walking down Westbourne Grove between (I think) Hereford Road and Newton road, I came upon a kitchenware shop. They were selling 4 inch Global pairing knives for 20 quid as part of a 20th anniversary thing.

And very nice it is too.

"Gimme a pig's foot, and a bottle of beer..." Bessie Smith

Flickr Food

"111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321" Bruce Frigard 'Winesonoma' - RIP

Got one from Pots and Pans in St Andrews today, so it must be a nationwide offer. I'd agree it's a good 'un. Can't say I've ever had any trouble with Global knives, fisherman - judicious use of the ceramic steel keeps them sharp enough for my unsuspecting father-in-law to cut himself when he'd cutting tomatoes.

PS

Edinburgh

It's not that I've had problems with my Globals PS, i still use them for some things, but when i bought a couple of Shun knives from Japan, it was a revelation, they keep a fine edge much longer than Globals.

If anyone wants to keep their knives (whatever brand) in tippermost toppermost condition, it's hard to beat the Spyderco 204 Tri-Angle Sharpmaker, a fantastic bit of kit

the retail prices here (judging by the new nisbets catalogue) are prohibative, but they regularly pop up on ebay.com and even with shipping from the US are a (relative) bargain. I've never enjoyed chopping things up so much since i bought mine! i have a large traditional style chefs knive and a 4" paring knife, and i think i paid the equivalent of £70 for both

Take a look at Japanese Chef's Knives, they ship worldwide from Seki, Japan. Shipping is 7 USD, you get your knives in 3 days, and the quality and brands they sell is much higher than the usual Globals or Shuns.

I've ordered several times from them, and got me a nice set by now.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

My blog, the Adventures of A Silly Disciple.

Take a look at Japanese Chef's Knives, they ship worldwide from Seki, Japan. Shipping is 7 USD, you get your knives in 3 days, and the quality and brands they sell is much higher than the usual Globals or Shuns.

I've ordered several times from them, and got me a nice set by now.

We need to get new knives badly. Which brands do you recommend from that page, SD?

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

We need to get new knives badly. Which brands do you recommend from that page, SD?

from the higher end stuff, I'd recommend the Hattori HD Series, the Nenox G Type or the Misono UX10's.

From the not so expensive, I think you can't beat the price/quality ratio the Tojiro DP and DP Layered Damascus.

and fisherman, trust me, Shun are nothing compared to these knives.

We''ve opened Pazzta 920, a fresh pasta stall in the Boqueria Market. follow the thread here.

you better be right, i just ordered a hattori HD deba!

I have the Hattori HD 24cm chef's knife, and it's in my "go to" set, along with the Tojiro 165mm Usuba and the Nenox G 100mm petty knife.

• 4 weeks later...

Fisherman,

Did your knife arrive? How much was it in GBP?

Is it as good as a Shun?

Cheers

Paul

I went into a French restaraunt and asked the waiter, 'Have you got frog's legs?' He said, 'Yes,' so I said, 'Well hop into the kitchen and get me a cheese sandwich.'

Tommy Cooper

Fisherman,

Is it as good as a Shun?

Cheers

Paul

I ordered a ceramic knife from Hawaii last year. It is a zirconium carbide knife and it cost US$54.99. Something similar might have cost £130 from The Japanese Knife Co in London so I thought it a very good deal. I was happy with the shipping charge of US$27.00 as it is a long way away but I was surprised by the customs duty of £7.67, VAT of £9.01 and a clearance fee of £13.50. Does this always happen when ordering stuff from far off places or was I scammed by her maj's Customs and Excise boys?

Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die

• 2 months later...
Fisherman,

Is it as good as a Shun?

Cheers

Paul

I ordered a ceramic knife from Hawaii last year. It is a zirconium carbide knife and it cost US$54.99. Something similar might have cost £130 from The Japanese Knife Co in London so I thought it a very good deal. I was happy with the shipping charge of US$27.00 as it is a long way away but I was surprised by the customs duty of £7.67, VAT of £9.01 and a clearance fee of £13.50. Does this always happen when ordering stuff from far off places or was I scammed by her maj's Customs and Excise boys?

yes it happens, this is why it does not always end up being a great deal to order from the USA - sometimes it goes under the radar, but not usually...

was the knife worth it?

www.nutropical.com

~Borojo~

• 1 year later...

OK, two years late I reply!

I just ordered another knife from http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/ Ordered it Monday, they emailed me Tuesday to say it had been dispatched, it arrived today, all for the princely sum of $7 (That's just for the postage obviously the knife was a bit more than that)

The Hattori knifes are amazing quality, and outshine Global, Shun etc etc, and the prices are amazing.

Jon

I just ordered another knife from http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/ ...

The Hattori knifes are amazing quality, and outshine Global, Shun etc etc, and the prices are amazing.

OK, so it was a Hattori HD Deba last time, or has there been some in-between ordering? (Noted that the first Hattori spoiled you for your Shuns, which had previously trumped the Globals... )

So, what was it this time? And how are first impressions? :smile:

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

JapaneseChefsKnife.com is simply a brilliant web company. Fast and efficient there simply isn't a better option for us in the UK. I've ordered knives from US companies and without fail they always get stopped by customs. Somehow my knives from Japan have always sneaked through. Here is a pic of my set:

gallery_52657_4505_321714.jpg

The top sushi knife, and the two damascus patterned ones (third one down and bottom) are from JCK.com, you are simply not going to get these knives for the same price anywhere else.

Do it folks, it'll be the best xmas present you'll ever get for yourselves!

thanks guys for the tip on the website it sounds to good.

good prices and there are some amazing knifes on there i will definatly order my next batch from jck when my tojiros get worn down.

i cant believe there is sashimi knives on there for 9000 dollars thats insane imagine that.

well im interested in the hattori ones but also the misono ux10 series are a brilliant choice.

ive already written a letter to santa to give me a rediculsly expensive yakitori knife for christmas.

Edited by Magnus Lindgren (log)