• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Taste of Yaletown

Andrew Morrison

I love my job on most days but today was quite special. I have an article coming out in advance of the upcoming Taste of Yaletown (October 3rd to 13th) and today I had sent out the Westender photographer for an accompanying picture. Neil is one of the principle organisers of the event, and last week we had a brief conversation that went thus:

"Can you get a few chefs from the neighbourhood together for a photoshoot on Thursday at 4pm?"

"Sure. No problem."

I never go to shoots, but today my curiosity got the better of me. I walked around the corner in front of Blue Water and wow...

See my own zoomable picture here.

Every restaurant in the neighbourhood is taking part in a Taste of Yaletown, including...wait for it...Pino's Enoteca. :wub: I snuck a peek at the menus to be offered at Coast ($35) and Glowbal ($30), too, and i've decided to start fasting now. The website they have put together should be operational in the next 24 hours, so keep checking for details @ www.tasteofyaletown.com and return to this thread with your thoughts, desires, and reviews when the business of feasting begins.

Edited by editor@waiterblog (log)

Andrew Morrison

Food Columnist | The Westender

Editor & Publisher | Scout Magazine

Wow, that's an awesome pic!

Some people blocked in the pic though: who's the guy next to Simply Thai's chef, the guy behind YBC's chef, and the guy next to Blue Water Cafe's chef?

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

In order asked, L to R, I think it's the new chef at Lilykate (anyone know his name?), and then James Olberg from Glowbal, and Yoshihiro Tabo (the raw bar chef at Blue Water).

So stoked I took my camera with me. :wink:

Andrew Morrison

That was 12 of the 30 restaurants participating. If everyone were there, we would have needed a three tier picture.

More on "Taste of Yaletown" ( I will now refer to it as ToY ) later. This event has taken an incredible amountof my time. Time away from eGullet, my family, sleeping and drinking.

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

www.hamiltonstreetgrill.com

That was 12 of the 30 restaurants participating. If everyone were there, we would have needed a three tier picture.

More on "Taste of Yaletown" ( I will now refer to it as ToY ) later. This event has taken an incredible amountof my time. Time away from eGullet, my family, sleeping and drinking.

Neil

Thanks a lot Neil for all the hard work you put in. One of many great annual Vancouver traditions to be started. (You realise what you're getting yourself into right?) :biggrin:

I am disappointed it's only 12 of 30 restaurants shown there.. Sort of fooled me, I was hoping to do the entire Taste of Yaletown package :laugh:

Virginia Woolf

Communication is a challange when dealing with this many restaurants. Some do not have email, some do not check it, some are chain restaurants with a corperate structure to wade through. The response times are varied. Great to see the people out that we did as this photo shoot was very quickly organized.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

Even so, one should be grateful that the Vancouver restaurant scene is so in touch with new technology. Just look at the eGullet forums itself - our city beats out Toronto and Montreal combined! Our restaurant scene may not be as large, but it certainly is more vibrant and connected. I've on many occasions found it hard for restaurants in Vancouver to not have a website/email - where it's the exact opposite elsewhere.

Virginia Woolf

Neil

I don't know how you do it Neil...running a successful restaurant, being involved in so many charity events, organizing things like ToY, staying involved with Egullet and managing family life as well. Someone once said that if you want something done, ask a busy person to do it and you are a prime example of that saying in action. Well done! (But please don't burn out...I know than Snacky and I and many others can't imagine the restaurant scene in Vancouver without you!)

Quick question...Who are the chef's on either side of Chef Sean Riley from Coast Restaurant (in my opinion one of Van's underappreciated chefs...whom I had the pleasure of working for last winter). And from which restaurants are they from???

Jason Edge

Mill Street Cafe

Chilliwack, B.C.

Quick question...Who are the chef's on either side of Chef Sean Riley from Coast Restaurant (in my opinion one of Van's underappreciated chefs...whom I had the pleasure of working for last winter).  And from which restaurants are they from???

If I'm not mistaken, that's Pino Posteraro/Cioppino's, Enoteca to the left of Sean Riley; I'm not sure of his name, but the fellow to the right has The Quay on his jacket. Is that Dobi Kovacevic?

Edited by *Deborah* (log)

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

Quick question...Who are the chef's on either side of Chef Sean Riley from Coast Restaurant (in my opinion one of Van's underappreciated chefs...whom I had the pleasure of working for last winter).  And from which restaurants are they from???

If I'm not mistaken, that's Pino Posteraro/Cioppino's, Enoteca to the left of Sean Riley; I'm not sure of his name, but the fellow to the right has The Quay on his jacket. Is that Dobi Kovacevic?

The new Chef at the Quay is Grant Frankchuk. And yes, the other side is Pino. This is the first dining event that Pino has done in the city to the best of my knowledge. This is truly all of the restaurants in the neighbourhood particiapating.

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

• 2 weeks later...

We are a few days away from the inaugural launch of this event. My inbox is filling up with menus, press releases, and final copies of press as well as logos etc. We have a media launch party at the Opus that I see a few of you have RSVP'd to. I will have to make a brief speech about this event and thank all of the sponsors etc. I hope I do not fumble and slip back into my potty mouthed kitchen speak.

The website www.tasteofyaletown.com is up and running with all of the menus as well as links to all of the restaurants. I have long banners for the street but have to try and tie them to the telephone poles. I do not think that is in my job description but we have to do what we have to do. It is a good thing I have a long ladder in the storage room for such an occasion.

I wanted to write a piece about the trials and tribulations of trying to get such an event together but alas the clock is ticking so I guess this might be it. It certainly will not be the one I wanted but I have to make a choice :

Sleep or post on eGullet. I have not done much of either lately but sleep wins.

Check out the website to see what is being offered. There are some really great menus there and some people have put lots of work into them. It pleases me to no end that all of the restaurants are participating. The reservations are startig to roll in, so at this early stage, it is looking good. People understand what it is and what it is all about. Because of things like "Dine Out Vancouver" , you do not need to educate everyone as to what to expect.

I hope that you can find the time to get out and check this out. If this is able to come off without a hitch, I am hoping to see a few more dining events take place in Yaletown. With everybody in such close proximity, it really is a natural fit.

If we can get everybody thinking the same way, wouldn't something like a centralized valet just work wonders for the traffic congestion down here. Drop off your car at one spot and have it delivered to the restaurant at the end of dinner. Make it cheap enough that even the die hard skin flints will think twice about circling the block twenty times looking for a spot.

A bit of a long shot but one can dream ?

Neil

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

We had our Media launch party at the Opus hotel last night. I had to do a speech, which I fumbled through. I would have made a poor career choice as a public speaker. It is a good thing I have talents elsewhere. I should have had a few more of those martinis before stepping up to the mike. Live and learn. The room was packed. There were a couple of other events that finished at about 4:00 so this was a natural for people to move to. Martinis, wine and beer were flowing and some really great food by Sean Riley, Don Letendre, Grace from Simply Thai and the team from Browns.

An interview on KVOS last night, a four page spread in the Sun, Province on Monday....This is really starting to take off. The phone resos are coming in nicely, anyone that I talk to from the other restaurants are getting lots of action so I have high hopes.

My next interview is 7:30 a.m. on Monday. Good Lord ! Are people really up then ?? I hope I am able to shake it out of the rack for that. It is a good thing that I have a face for radio and I do not need to pretty myself up for this.

We have resos at Pino's on Tuesday the 11th. I am looking forward to that. It has been a while since I have dined there. 4 courses and wine pairings for $50.00 What a deal.

Check out www.tasteofyaletown.com to see all of the offerings.

Have to go now. Got to make apple tarts. I wish I had Ling on my staff. I am a terrible pastry person. You have all seen the GBP. That is the extent of my talent. It is not pretty to look at but at least it tastes good.

Cheers

Neil

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

We had our Media launch party at the Opus hotel last night. I had to do a speech, which I fumbled through. I would have made a poor career choice as a public speaker. It is a good thing I have talents elsewhere. I should have had a few more of those martinis before stepping up to the mike. Live and learn. The room was packed. There were a couple of other events that finished at about 4:00 so this was a natural for people to move to. Martinis, wine and beer were flowing and some really great food by Sean Riley, Don Letendre, Grace from Simply Thai and the team from Browns.

An interview on KVOS last night, a four page spread in the Sun, Province on Monday....This is really starting to take off. The phone resos are coming in nicely, anyone that I talk to from the other restaurants are getting lots of action so I have high hopes.

My next interview is 7:30 a.m. on Monday. Good Lord ! Are people really up then ?? I hope I am able to shake it out of the rack for that. It is a good thing that I have a face for radio and I do not need to pretty myself up for this.

We have resos at Pino's on Tuesday the 11th. I am looking forward to that. It has been a while since I have dined there. 4 courses and wine pairings for $50.00 What a deal.

Check out www.tasteofyaletown.com to see all of the offerings.

Have to go now. Got to make apple tarts. I wish I had Ling on my staff. I am a terrible pastry person. You have all seen the GBP. That is the extent of my talent. It is not pretty to look at but at least it tastes good.

Cheers

Neil

I found you to be a very engaging speaker when we met. I think you underestimate your talents.

Best of luck Neil; maybe next year you can convince Translink to donate a couple of community shuttle buses to do B-lines to and fro from parking garages to Yaletown - and throw in a few GBPs to the drivers that night.

Hmmm, actually, now that I think about it, forget it. If the Shaguars can afford to drive to Yaletown, I doubt they'd take a "looser cruiser" ;)

Good luck and have fun!

Best of luck Neil; maybe next year you can convince Translink to donate a couple of community shuttle buses to do B-lines to and fro from parking garages to Yaletown - and throw in a few GBPs to the drivers that night.

Hmmm, actually, now that I think about it, forget it. If the Shaguars can afford to drive to Yaletown, I doubt they'd take a "looser cruiser"  ;)

Good luck and have fun!

It was one of our thoughts but I think that will be next year. A free shuttle from a lot, proceeds of the parking donated to charity. Impark is always looking to improve it's public image and it is not like the trolley buses have anything to do around that time of year. There was just so much to do and it is not like I do not have my own business to run. We will see what next year brings.

Edited by nwyles (log)

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

I had to do a speech, which I fumbled through.

It was a fun little party and you were fine. :biggrin: It's never easy to build something out of nothing, and you guys have done a first rate job.

I hope to camp out in the neighbourhood for the duration.

Andrew Morrison

Have to go now. Got to make apple tarts. I wish I had Ling on my staff. I am a terrible pastry person.

Yes, it is a GREAT deal! I really wanted to go, but some of my friends are strapped for cash. :wacko: *sniffle*

I can't even begin to imagine the amount of work you had to do to put this event together! :smile:

(My pastries are not that pretty either. Just market them as "rustic apple tarts", or even as "freeform apple galettes". :wink: )

This is somewhat spur of the moment, but my husband and I have just booked a flight to visit my daughter in Whistler... we're flying into Vancouver on the 7th and returning on the 15th.

What are the chances of us being able to partake in TOY sans reservations at this point? I can't see us being able to commit until we get there since we're not sure what daughter's work schedule is like.

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

This is somewhat spur of the moment, but my husband and I have just booked a flight to visit my daughter in Whistler... we're flying into Vancouver on the 7th and returning on the 15th. 

What are the chances of us being able to partake in TOY sans reservations at this point?  I can't see us being able to commit until we get there since we're not sure what daughter's work schedule is like.

You should be fine.

Check out www.tasteofyaletown.com to see the choices and go from there.

Check out Glowbal, Coast, Enoteca and of course, Hamilton Street Grill

Cheers

Neil

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill

...You should be fine. Check out www.tasteofyaletown.com to see the choices and go from there. Check out Glowbal, Coast, Enoteca and of course, Hamilton Street Grill

Cheers

Neil

I printed the pages, just wasn't sure what might be available once we get there...

Neil, thanks so much for the reply, suggestions and encouraging words. :smile:

This will be my first trip to the area so you can't imagine my excitement!

Cheese: milk’s leap toward immortality – C.Fadiman

Up at 6:00 a.m. today. Did a radio spot on the Beat.

Did one on Best of Food and Wine on CFUN on Sat.

Something on News 1130 this afternoon

Whirlwind Press Junket for Taste of Yaletown.

My co- conspiritor, Jack Lamont ( Glowbal and Coast ) is doing something on Shaw T.V. Today.

Getting lots of attention, nice to see

I have not called around but space still available here, Glowbal and Coast.

Has anyone experienced any difficulties getting a reso ?

Neil Wyles

Hamilton Street Grill