• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Diego Cheep Eatz mini-reviews

mizducky

Ever since I moved to San Diego three years ago, I have been randomly exploring little cheapo dining experiences in and around this burg. What with recent topics inquiring about such things, I thought it would be fun to start sharing some of my nicer finds with the board (and also to find out if others have tried any of them). Here's a few random finds from just this past two weeks:

New Manila -- 8979 Mira Mesa Blvd. (Mira Mesa) -- I had some brief exposure to Filipino food back in Seattle, but recent topics on the cuisine inspired me to renew that exploration. This place is a storefront in a large shopping center anchored by an huge and intriguing ethnic market called Seafood City Supermarket--have to check that out the next time I dine at New Manila. New Manila itself is a no-frills space with worn but serviceable formica tables; you order at the counter from the "turo-turo" steam-table full of goodies. The very friendly guy behind the counter offered me samples of several dishes, plus a free serving of soup with my combo order (two-item combos, with two scoops of steamed rice, cost five bucks and change). In addition to the yummy soup (sinigang, chicken and veggies stewed in a tart broth), I had a lovely paksiew na pata (braised shredded pork knuckle meat, again with that pleasing slightly tart flavor--I really like how Filipino cuisine use sour flavorings) and a bracing serving of pinakbet with lots of bitter melon in it (an acquired taste, that stuff, but I like it in smallish doses). Aparently this joint turns into a karaoke party den on Friday nights, but otherwise it's mainly open for lunch. I'm definitely going back--there's a whole bunch of other things in the steam-table I've yet to try!

Arirang House -- 4681 Convoy St # B (Kearny Mesa) -- there are a number of Korean joints in the Convoy Street multi-culti nexus, but I've gotten rather fond of this one, partly because they offer a lunch buffet so that I can sample a variety of dishes for one cheap price (just under six bucks, before tip). It's a pretty generous spread for such a small place. Last time I went, the offerings included a nicely tender and flavorful braised short ribs; small whole deep-fried fish; a variety of vegetables, including spinach seasoned with sesame oil and seeds and steamed-but-still-crunchy soybean sprouts seasoned with red pepper flakes; and of course a couple different kinds of kimchee (napa cabbage, and I think the other was cubes of daikon); and a bunch of other things I'm forgetting. You are also served a simple bowl of miso soup to go with your meal. In the evenings this place switches gears to serve Korean style barbeque; I haven't tried theirs yet, because I'm still too enamored of their lunches. This joint is tucked into one of the smaller of the gazillion strip malls lining Convoy--it's easy to drive right by it, so look for it just south of the intersection with Engineer Rd., on the east side of the street.

Taco Motion -- 1313 Garnet Ave. (Pacific Beach) -- this is a rather unpreposessing storefront in yet another tiny strip mall, on a non-glamorous stretch of Garnet a couple blocks away from all the action closer to the waterfront. But behind that storefront is a terrific little place that passes one of my Rules of Thumb for Authentic Taqueria Detection--they have offal meats on the menu. I got a burrito de cabeza as take-out, got home with my prize, and discovered I had a wealth of savory tender meat in a rich brown sauce filling a very generous burrito, with just some sliced raw scallions as the only ornament needed. I gotta go back and taste their menudo.

Roberto's -- 4403 Convoy St (Kearny Mesa) -- I don't know whether this Roberto's is an offshoot of the original local (and celebrated) taqueria chain, or a copycat, or what--I just know it's good. The place is a stand-alone building, a basic glass-box fast-food joint with no atmosphere whatsoever, but the menu is large, the prices are cheap, and they serve lengua as well as cabeza. I had some of each as soft tacos, and got nice portions on good corn tortillas with garnishes of chopped tomato, onion, and cilantro, with lime wedges on the side. The meats were wonderfully tender and flavorful, with the occasional lovely crunchy bit from having just been hotted-up on the griddle. I hadn't checked out this joint until now because I'd been so distracted by all the Asian restaurants for which this neighborhood is much better known, but now that I know I can get my offal fix so close to home (I live about a mile away), I shall be back.

Okay, that's enough for starters ...

Oh, no...no...don't stop! We'll be coming over for a 2-week vacation later in the year...and would love to get enough eatz to fill our time there. These places, nice and cheap, would help stretch our ringgit (US$1=Ringgit Malaysia RM3.80). Is Carlsbad close enough to dine here?

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

Oh, no...no...don't stop! We'll be coming over for a 2-week vacation later in the year...and would love to get enough eatz to fill our time there. These places, nice and cheap, would help stretch our ringgit (US$1=Ringgit Malaysia RM3.80). Is Carlsbad close enough to dine here?

Oh, I wasn't stopping ... I was just pausing. :biggrin: Gotta digest a little before I go out and do more research, y'know.

Carlsbad is a little bit of a shlep from San Diego--about a 35-mile drive. It's a straight shot on the freeway, but unfortunately that stretch of I-5 can get mighty congested. So it probably wouldn't be practical to come down from Carlsbad to do all your dining down here in San Diego. But a bunch of these places might serve you well if you were making a day-trip down here.

Alas, I seldom find myself going up to Carlsbad, but perhaps somebody living closer to there can chime in with their favorite cheap eats up there.

Unfortunately, Tepee, the stretch from Carlsbad to San Diego is coastal, high-rent areas. Most restaurants are expensive. There is no known good Chinese restaurants (in our standard) until you hit Convoy, which is about 27 miles away.

The Chinese restaurants on Convoy are good, but not necessarily "cheap".

If you don't restrict yourself to only Chinese... There is a small chain Greek restaurant called Delphi. There is one in Oceanside, only 5 miles north of Carlsbad (on Mission Ave + Coast Highway). My wife and I like it very much. We like to order the Greek chicken plates. The price is reasonable. Something like US $6.50 or so. It is a self-serve set up. (But I heard someone in your group cannot live without Chinese food so I am not sure if this is an option.) :raz:

W.K. Leung ("Ah Leung") aka "hzrt8w"

I might be able to suggest some places in and around Carlsbad. :rolleyes: What kind of food are you looking for? What part of Carlsbad will you be staying in? How far do you want to drive?

I agree that Chinese food is not a good choice around here, especially for someone coming from Malaysia. You wouldn't recognize a lot of what is served, and probably wouldn't like what you do recognize.

A couple of inexpensive places come immediately to mind if you are in the downtown Carlsbad area. If you want good Mexican food, I would suggest Pollo Maria. For Pizza, the best deal around is at Knockout Pizza on Carlsbad Blvd.

A couple of lesser known places that I've been to are:

Western Steakburger on the corner of Sandrock and Murray Ridge in the Serra Mesa Shopping Center. The center is not as booming as it used to be but WS is still there. They have charbroiled 1/3 or 1/2 hand made oval patties on sesame buns and they come in several combinations: w/ gyro meat, w/ pastrami, terryaki, plain, etc. The place also has a big selection of greek food that is pretty good as well as steak and chicken kabobs with rice pilaf, chicken sandwiches, & philly cheesesteak too. When I worked in the area about 6 years ago, I ate there 2-3 times/week. My wife and I went there for burgers last week and it was still very tasty and was not dissapointing.

Another place that never ceases to amaze me is a family Italian joint called Ciao Bella. They are located at 5269 Baltimore Drive next to the 7-11. The accents of the mom/dad or husband/wife are very thick and they greet you very enthusiastically. We've been there about 5-6 times and each time Francesco (dad/husband) hugs me and kisses my wife and is very genuine. His wife Cinzia greets us from the kitchen. We both had kids around the same time so we're talking about how the kids are doing and how things are and he says to whoever is closest "come sit my friends down here" and we go and sit down and feel very welcomed as a guest of their restaurant. They have daily specials and their menu changes frequently. My wife and I love this place and while it may not be considered "cheap eats" I did want to mention it here anyway. HERE is a write-up on it.

Dragon Chinese restaurant on corner of 54th and El Cajon Blvd next to El Pollo Loco. My wife and I were going to eat at El Pollo Loco but thought we'd rather have Chinese so in we went. It is a very small place and after sitting down the server came over and told us what was popular and that if we wanted any dish spicy just say so. So I said I wanted a spicy mongolian beef and Orange chicken and bbq pork fried rice so nothing out of the ordinary. What we got was very good, hot homemade food. The Orange chicken was light and moist on the inside and crunchy on the outside. In other words, delicious. I've had Orang Chicken at many places as it's one of my favs and it was almost always dry, hard and not appetizing. This though was pretty damn good and so was the Mongolian Beef.

Nacho's Taco Shop at 7589 University Ave in La Mesa is excellent. I've talked about it before so I won't go into much detail but the menu is pretty extensive and they serve all combo's on real Mexican earthenware and even spend time to garnish. My wife loves the Ceviche and I go back and forth between my usual favorites Carne Asada Torta, Taco's Al Pastor, Ceviche and Shrimp Quesadilla el diablo.

All for now, gotta get back to work.

Bob

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Cool! Thanks, Octaveman--now we have an agent working the east/La Mesa end of things. :biggrin:

Meanwhile, I continue to work the more northerly neighborhoods:

K Sandwiches -- 7604 Linda Vista Rd., cor. Mesa College Drive (Linda Vista) -- A few weeks ago when I passed this intersection, I noticed this building in a little corner strip mall, festooned with banners saying "Grand Opening Soon." Other signage indicated the new joint was to be a Vietnamese bahn mi emporium, so I made a mental note to come back when they were fully open for business. And I'm glad I did. K Sandwiches is brand-sparkling new inside, with sprightly decor and perky young counter help. They offer an extensive list of bahn mi, the Vietnamese-style sandwiches on baguettes; they also have a bakery counter where you can buy the baguettes whole, as well as croissants and a small selection of Vietnamese sweets; they also serve boba tea, smoothies, espresso drinks, etc. The bahn mi are surprisingly substantial for their prices (most go for two bucks; the more heavily stuffed baguette sandwiches might run you as much as $3.75). I ordered a bahn mi called a "Pate Pork Meat Loaf Sandwich"; it came with a thin smear of the pate, a few slices of what looked like chopped-ham luncheon meat, fresh watercress, crunchy sliced pickled onion, and a few slivers of jalapeno, on what seemed to be a nearly foot-long length of baguette. All for two bucks. Like to see Subway top that. As this place is directly across the street from a high school and a few blocks away from a small college, I expect they're gonna do a land-office business.

Pho Pasteur -- 7612 Linda Vista Rd., same strip mall as K Sandwiches (Linda Vista) -- I had noticed that there were several other Vietnamese businesses in this same little shopping center, and decided to also investigate the pho joint. Pho Pasteur is a rambling, slightly dingy space done up in a more traditional Asian-glitz style, with an elaborate gilt arch between the two main rooms, and pink tablecloths that bear an indelible grease stain here and there. Their huge menu lists a lot more than just pho; although the prices of their more substantial dinner offerings fall kind of outside my little cheep-eatz guidelines, the pho offerings definitely fit at between $4.50 and $5.50 a bowl depending on size and contents. They serve a well-made, substantial bowl o' pho, with nicely flavorful broth and decent amounts of the meat-goodies, and the usual side-offerings of sprouts, basil, sliced jalapenos, and lime wedges. By the way: is there some secret art to eating pho without getting it all over you? Somehow, no matter how carefully I try to fish out all the meat and noodle goodies, I succeed in splashing myself innumerable times. I just hope the restaurant staff aren't laughing too hard at the poor Anglo lady with the lousy table manners! :blush::laugh:

P.S. While puttering around the general neighborhood on my way back, I stumbled on various other intriguing-looking ethnic food emporiums, including an international grocery advertising that they carried Halal meats. I have this and a few other places on my list to investigate further sometime in the future.

Oh good! Lots of places already. We'll be putting up at Grand Pacific Palisades at Armada Drive for one week, Anaheim, Las Vegas and San Francisco squeezed in another.

My family is quite adventurous when it comes to food, but nothing spicy...for the children. Mexican food is too 'pepperish' for them. The chinese restaurant suggestions are more for my in-laws and my brother's family who will be in a separate group.

Tks, y'all!

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Please take pictures of all the food you get to try (and if you can, the food at the next tables)............................Dejah

The Karl Strauss Brewery adjacent to the Grand Pacific Palisades makes very good beer, and the food is pretty decent, too. Bellefleur is close to you, and is also good, although not inexpensive. The same for King's. Across the freeway, I say yes to Sammy's Woodfired Pizza and In-and-Out Burger, no to the Claim Jumper. Are you going to visit Legoland?

Thanks, Carlsbad, for your suggestions...with your profile name, now why didn't I think of asking you for directions??? Yes, we'll probably visit Legoland, since the place we're staying offers a discounted entry.

Oh dear, this thread is on San Diego...sorry for swinging it off-tangent.

Anyway... although, yes, we would appreciate cheap eats suggestions, we won't be bringing the calculator into every place :wink: . I would love to visit a farmer's market or 2, and a well-stocked supermarket...I'm always overwhelmed with the size and choices in your supermarts. We'd like to pick up some produce to fix some meals on our own (our unit has a full-kitchen), quick meals like pasta, fried rice, sandwiches and such. However, during winter...we'll be there from Nov 27 to Dec 11...what's good to buy? Also, we love bakeries. BTW, food isn't allowed to be brought into Disneyland, is it? I remember outside food wasn't allowed into Paris Disneyland.

Tks.

TPcal!

Food Pix (plus others)

Oh dear, this thread is on San Diego...sorry for swinging it off-tangent.

No worries--you're still talking about an area well within the boundaries of San Diego County. I wouldn't at all mind expanding this topic to be "San Diego and environs" ... especially since, with a few exceptions, I know rather less about food (and other) attractions in the North and East County areas, and would like to learn more.

There's a Farmer's Market in the downtown Carlsbad area on Wednesdays from 2:00 pm to 5:00 pm. If you go take Carlsbad Village Drive Off I-5 and go west, it's on your right, behind the Blockbuster Video. There used to be another one in the parking lot of what is now the Holiday Inn (there's a big windmill there) across from the flower fields, but I don't think they are still doing it. They would probably know at your resort. There are other Farmer's Markets in all the towns around here, so you can hit one of them if you miss the one in Carlsbad.

We have our share of big supermarkets, among them Von's, Ralph's and Albertson's. You might also take a look at Seaside Market in Cardiff or Jimbo's Naturally, two stores I shop in often. Seaside is a small, friendly market with great produce, excellent seafood, meats and poultry, specialty items, a big deli and prepared food section, and great bread. Jimbo's is a little larger, and has about 90% high-quality organic produce, good prepared foods, and good meats, poultry and seafood. Jimbo's has a healthfood emphasis. Both are more expensive than the big supermarkets, but the quality is much better IMO.

I don't think you can take food into Disneyland. There have been threads on places to eat in around there though.

.....There used to be another one in the parking lot of what is now the Holiday Inn (there's a big windmill there) across from the flower fields, but I don't think they are still doing it.    They would probably know at your resort.  There are other Farmer's Markets in all the towns around here, so you can hit one of them if you miss the one in Carlsbad. 

Tepee:

Across the street from this old Farmer's Markets location (maybe still current) - or I should say the same side of flower fields - is exactly where your beloved, or will be beloved, factory outlets are in Carlsbad. :smile:

I hope still in business, although I haven't eaten there in almost two years) is my personal favorite:

Ichiban

1449 University Avenue

San Diego, CA 92103

(619) 299-7203

When I was going to San Diego (over 15 years ago!) this was hands-down the favorite whole-in-the wall restaurant. On cold, blustery days, nothing in the world was better than their Stamina Bowl, which would ultimately feed me for two days for around $6.00 (although I imagine the price may have gone up since then).

It was so good, it was written up in Gourmet Magazine about ten years ago and included the recipe for that 'famous' Japanese salad dressing (you know, the kind that is served in Benihanas all over the world...) I still make it and love it.

Someone, please go by and tell me if my beloved Ichicban is still in business!!!!

Miz Ducky Octaveman, et al,

Thanks for reporting in this discussion! I am an ex-San Diegean but get down about once a month to visit my family there. It's great to hear of new hole-in-the-wall places.

Miz Ducky-

Thanks for the report about the Filipino food. I mentioned this to my brother and his wife (her mom is from the Phillipines) and they were interested to know if you knew of any Filipino buffets in the area.

Some of my recommendations:

The Great Moon Buffet at 1840 Garnet Avenue in Pacific Beach. Their lunch is about $7 and the food is very good. They have American, Chinese and Japanese food in the buffet. The local weekly free paper called The Reader usually has a 10% off coupon in it (you can print it out from the Reader's web site, too) and they're always packed.

Da Kin'es - They have a location in National City (south of San Diego) and another at 4120 Mission Blvd., #208 right on Mission Blvd in PB (Pacific Beach). It's Hawai'ian/Pacific Islander food. My brother always gets the Loco Moco (2 hamburger patties with gravy and onions topped with two eggs) and my SIL likes going on Sundays to get the Lau-Lau which is (from the website menu) "Pork with fish wrapped in taro leaves and slow roasted in the oven". They also have dishes like Chicken Adobo and Soyu Chicken and serve the "traditional" Spam and Eggs. End the meal with a slice of their delicious Kona cake.

I also recommend La Torta Mexican Deli for cheap eats (their website seems to be down). Cheap but very good eats!

Teepee - A word of caution about Legoland. If you have teens, they may be bored by the park. It's really aimed at younger kids up to about 11 years of age.

There's also the Wild Animal Park in the North County/Escondido area (it would be south-east of Carlsbad) which is opearated by the San Diego Zoo. Lots to see but wear comfortable walking shoes.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Miz Ducky-

Thanks for the report about the Filipino food.  I mentioned this to my brother and his wife (her mom is from the Phillipines) and they were interested to know if you knew of any Filipino buffets in the area.

There are a number of other Filipino dining spots around town, most of them clustered in the National City area, which is not on my end of town so I haven't checked them out yet. This place, Conching's Cafe, looks pretty promising, and from the description it sounds like they do have a buffet upstairs in addition to a more informal fast-food setup downstairs.

The Great Moon Buffet at 1840 Garnet Avenue in Pacific Beach.  Their lunch is about $7 and the food is very good.  They have American, Chinese and Japanese food in the buffet.  The local weekly free paper called The Reader usually has a 10% off coupon in it (you can print it out from the Reader's web site, too) and they're always packed.

Seconded on Great Moon Buffet. (I'm neither afraid of nor ashamed to be seen eating at a buffet--as long as it's a good one. :biggrin: ).

I hope still in business, although I haven't eaten there in almost two years) is my personal favorite:

Ichiban

1449 University Avenue

San Diego, CA 92103

(619) 299-7203

When I was going to San Diego (over 15 years ago!) this was hands-down the favorite whole-in-the wall restaurant. On cold, blustery days, nothing in the world was better than their Stamina Bowl, which would ultimately feed me for two days for around $6.00 (although I imagine the price may have gone up since then).

It was so good, it was written up in Gourmet Magazine about ten years ago and included the recipe for that 'famous' Japanese salad dressing (you know, the kind that is served in Benihanas all over the world...) I still make it and love it.

Someone, please go by and tell me if my beloved Ichicban is still in business!!!!

Ichiban is still going strong - as well as Niban on Clairemont Mesa Blvd.

Edited by mmm-yoso (log)

Some of my favorite hole-in-the wall places:

El Zarape - Excellent 99 cent fish tacos

4642 Park Blvd

San Diego, CA 92116

DaoSon - spicy pseudo Vietnamese-Japanese cuisine. I know, I know sounds scarey but it works - most dishes under 6 bucks.

2322 El Cajon Blvd

San Diego, CA 92103

Tita's Kitchenette - If you're in National City, you can't really beat the portions and prices at this Turo-Turo (point-point) place. Conching is good - but we go there mostly for ice cream (durian, avocado, and ube) or halo halo!

2720 East Plaza Boulevard

National City, CA 91950

Mama's Bakery & Lebanese Deli - It doesn't get more hole-in-the wall than this.

4237 Alabama St.

San Diego, CA 92104

El Salvador Pupuseria y Restaurante - Stay with the Salvodoran Food here. Pupusas run at about $1.50-$1.75

3824 University Ave

San Diego, CA 92105

Convoy Noodle House - along with Phunong trang and Pho T Cali (used to be Pho Hoa Cali) in the Clairemont/Kearney Mesa Area.

4647 Convoy St

San Diego, CA 92111

I guess that's a pretty good start!

http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/

Take Care,

Kirk

Edited by mmm-yoso (log)

Cool! Thanks, Octaveman--now we have an agent working the east/La Mesa end of things. :biggrin:

Meanwhile, I continue to work the more northerly neighborhoods:

K Sandwiches -- 7604 Linda Vista Rd., cor. Mesa College Drive (Linda Vista) -- A few weeks ago when I passed this intersection, I noticed this building in a little corner strip mall, festooned with banners saying "Grand Opening Soon." Other signage indicated the new joint was to be a Vietnamese bahn mi emporium, so I made a mental note to come back when they were fully open for business. And I'm glad I did. K Sandwiches is brand-sparkling new inside, with sprightly decor and perky young counter help. They offer an extensive list of bahn mi, the Vietnamese-style sandwiches on baguettes; they also have a bakery counter where you can buy the baguettes whole, as well as croissants and a small selection of Vietnamese sweets; they also serve boba tea, smoothies, espresso drinks, etc. The bahn mi are surprisingly substantial for their prices (most go for two bucks; the more heavily stuffed baguette sandwiches might run you as much as $3.75). I ordered a bahn mi called a "Pate Pork Meat Loaf Sandwich"; it came with a thin smear of the pate, a few slices of what looked like chopped-ham luncheon meat, fresh watercress, crunchy sliced pickled onion, and a few slivers of jalapeno, on what seemed to be a nearly foot-long length of baguette. All for two bucks. Like to see Subway top that. As this place is directly across the street from a high school and a few blocks away from a small college, I expect they're gonna do a land-office business.

Pho Pasteur -- 7612 Linda Vista Rd., same strip mall as K Sandwiches (Linda Vista) -- I had noticed that there were several other Vietnamese businesses in this same little shopping center, and decided to also investigate the pho joint. Pho Pasteur is a rambling, slightly dingy space done up in a more traditional Asian-glitz style, with an elaborate gilt arch between the two main rooms, and pink tablecloths that bear an indelible grease stain here and there. Their huge menu lists a lot more than just pho; although the prices of their more substantial dinner offerings fall kind of outside my little cheep-eatz guidelines, the pho offerings definitely fit at between $4.50 and $5.50 a bowl depending on size and contents. They serve a well-made, substantial bowl o' pho, with nicely flavorful broth and decent amounts of the meat-goodies, and the usual side-offerings of sprouts, basil, sliced jalapenos, and lime wedges. By the way: is there some secret art to eating pho without getting it all over you? Somehow, no matter how carefully I try to fish out all the meat and noodle goodies, I succeed in splashing myself innumerable times. I just hope the restaurant staff aren't laughing too hard at the poor Anglo lady with the lousy table manners! :blush:  :laugh:

P.S. While puttering around the general neighborhood on my way back, I stumbled on various other intriguing-looking ethnic food emporiums, including an international grocery advertising that they carried Halal meats. I have this and a few other places on my list to investigate further sometime in the future.

Hi mizducky - Were you talking about Kabul Market? They also have pretty good and reasonable Afghan Food - I enjoy the Chapli Kabob, sort of like a very herbacious hamburger steak - all for about 5.99-6.99. All the meat is done in accordance with the House of Halal.

http://mmm-yoso.typepad.com/mmmyoso/2005/0..._market_ch.html

Also there's Parsian a Persian Market on convoy as well - they used to be on Balboa, but moved to ther new digs when Golden City closed down (now set to re-open on Clairemont Mesa). Funky building once used to house a Mickey-D's - or so I was told.

There's also a Muslim-Chinese Restaurant up on convoy called Jamillah Garden that does Da-Bing and all the other Muslim Chinese dishes - they are somewhat inconsistent, but sometimes are pretty good.

I've been to K's several times - one of the times I got a bit ill, but I don't think it was K's - but there's a plethora of Banh Mi type places all over the Linda Vista - Kearney Mesa - Clairemont Mesa area. One good thing about K's is that they open early - like 6am or so!

Kirk

Edited by mmm-yoso (log)

Miz Ducky Octaveman, et al,

I mentioned this to my brother and his wife (her mom is from the Phillipines) and they were interested to know if you knew of any Filipino buffets in the area.

Some of my recommendations:

The Great Moon Buffet at 1840 Garnet Avenue in Pacific Beach.  Their lunch is about $7 and the food is very good.  They have American, Chinese and Japanese food in the buffet.  The local weekly free paper called The Reader usually has a 10% off coupon in it (you can print it out from the Reader's web site, too) and they're always packed.

Da Kin'es - They have a location in National City (south of San Diego) and another at 4120 Mission Blvd., #208 right on Mission Blvd in PB (Pacific Beach).  It's Hawai'ian/Pacific Islander food.  My brother always gets the Loco Moco (2 hamburger patties with gravy and onions topped with two eggs) and my SIL likes going on Sundays to get the Lau-Lau which is (from the website menu) "Pork with fish wrapped in taro leaves and slow roasted in the oven".  They also have dishes like Chicken Adobo and Soyu Chicken and serve the "traditional" Spam and Eggs.  End the meal with a slice of their delicious Kona cake.

I also recommend La Torta Mexican Deli for cheap eats (their website seems to be down).  Cheap but very good eats!

Hi Toliver - An "interesting" buffet is Manila Tokyo it's a Filipino Buffet (I like their Lechon Kawale, my Wife likes the Daing Bagus), that has a Karaoke (thus the Tokyo) and they have a dance floor as well - 3421 Plaza Blvd, National City, CA 9150. Conching "upstairs" supposedly has a good buffet with lot's of seafood, but we haven't made it there yet. Conching is right around the corner (or visa versa) from Manila Tokyo.

Have you tried East Bufett on Miramar Rd yet? I like it better than Great Moon and Sunrise (another new Buffet - this one on Convoy). 8998 Miramar Rd, San diego, CA 92126.

La Torta is great, love the Chicken Mole and Carne Asada torta's - though they run about 7 bucks - at least you get fries with them.

i'm orginally from Hawaii, so am somewhat picky about plate lunches - in some ways Da' Kines is better than the proliferation of all these Hawaiian BBQ places opening everywhere, in some ways not so much so.....

Kirk

http://www.mmm-yoso.typepad.com/

Hi, yoso--welcome to the board!

Hi mizducky - Were you talking about Kabul Market? They also have pretty good and reasonable Afghan Food - I enjoy the Chapli Kabob, sort of like a very herbacious hamburger steak - all for about 5.99-6.99. All the meat is done in accordance with the House of Halal.

Nope, the one I was talking about was down on Ashford Street, rather closer to K's. I've seen that Kabul Market on Convoy, though--I'll have to drop in on that one too.

There's also a Muslim-Chinese Restaurant up on convoy called Jamillah Garden that does Da-Bing and all the other Muslim Chinese dishes - they are somewhat inconsistent, but sometimes are pretty good.

Ah! If memory serves me right, this one's in the same little strip mall as Arirang House--another to add to my list of places to try.

Have you tried East Bufett on Miramar Rd yet? I like it better than Great Moon and Sunrise (another new Buffet - this one on Convoy). 8998 Miramar Rd, San diego, CA 92126.

Heh. East Buffet goes on the list too. I've tried Sunrise several times, and liked it pretty well.

Unfortunately, Tepee, the stretch from Carlsbad to San Diego is coastal, high-rent areas.  Most restaurants are expensive.  There is no known good Chinese restaurants (in our standard) until you hit Convoy, which is about 27 miles away.

The Chinese restaurants on Convoy are good, but not necessarily "cheap".

I have asked my college roommate about this. Just like me, he grew up in Hong Kong but has been living in Oceanside/San Diego for many years. Here's what he said:

1. Are there any good (in our standard) Chinese restaurants in the Carlsbad/Oceanside area? (Name and Street)

Nothing is good in North county, period.

2. Which Chinese restaurants in Kearny Mesa (in the Convoy area) would you recommend?

Jasmine, Emerald, or China Max. They are OK, but better than nothing.

My note: San Diego Chinese food prices in general are much higher than those in the Los Angeles/San Francisco areas.

Want to add:

Your vacation resort is very close to the Oceanside Pier. There is a Ruby's at the tip of the pier. They sell hamburgers, fish and chips and sandwiches. Prices range from US$6.00 to $9.00. It is a good place to eat and view the West coast sunset. Or go there in the morning and have their breakfast.

Click here for Ruby's dinner menu

There is also a McDonald's at the head of the pier. You can buy some breakfast sandwiches and coffee from them and walk out to the pier to enjoy.

Edited by hzrt8w (log)