• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

San Diego Cheep Eatz mini-reviews

mizducky

Re: DZ Akins--as a nice Jewish girl from New York, I readily admit to major bias in my opinions about Jewish-style deli places, so no such joint here in San Diego is ever going to measure up to my memories of places like Katz' Deli. That said, I do find DZ Akins a decent substitute when I'm having a nostalgic craving for those kind of eats. And yeah, like the New York delis it emulates, DZ Akins definitely gives you value for your money. Their bakery does respectable rugelah too!

• 1 month later...

El Portal, near Mervin's, intersection Genessee and Balboa Ave

Breakfast runs ~ $6, but will obviate the need for lunch.

The salsa verde is especially good. It comes on the spinach enchiladas (tasty) and on the "divorced eggs". Both are served with beans, rice and tortillas.

Divorced Eggs is two fried eggs, one topped with salsa roja and one with salsa verde.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 3 months later...

This only qualifies under cheep eats - its not hidden, its not in a strip mall, etc.

Ole Madrid, in the GasLamp, has a Sunday prime rib special. If you order one other item (such as a $3 side of veggies, or a glass of wine), you can get a large slice of very well prepared prime rib for just under $10. Its a good thing, for the carnivore on a budget.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

• 1 month later...

Casa de Loma, Pt Loma (Rosecrans Blvd).

Mexican, been there a while (this was my husband's suggestion. He knows he ate there in '84 and thinks he might also have been there in '76, when visiting a brother in the Navy).

Tamale/enchilada combination plate: $6. Chimichanga w rice/beans: $6

Not out of this world delicious, especially due to use of bland cheese, but the refritos were stellar (probably 60% lard, 40% beans. YUM).

Definitely a hole-in-the-wall. Decor consistent with '70's start up. Very dark. Parrot lights on one side, chili lights on the other. Only fur-shure new "decor" was the warning about pregnancy and alchohol behind the cash register. Thru the back, or around the back is Ballast Bar: a nice locally referential name for a nice dive.:wink:

• 2 months later...

I found this link to an old thread on cheap eats San Diego on a Student Budget 2004

Ichiban is still around, FINS I think is gone. Roberto's still going strong as well as its many flatterers (imitation being a form of flattery).

I was searching Boll Weevil, because they seem to have shutdown en masse, up oars and away quite out of the blue. Its odd to think of San Diego absent 'the home of the 1/2 lb steerburger'.

We dont know they are all closed, but we've checked three locations so far (Convoy, Mission Bay and Point Loma).

Whats up with that?????

I found this link to an old thread on cheap eats San Diego on a Student Budget 2004

Ichiban is still around, FINS I think is gone. Roberto's still going strong as well as its many flatterers (imitation being a form of flattery).

I was searching Boll Weevil, because they seem to have shutdown en masse,  up oars and away quite out of the blue.  Its odd to think of San Diego absent 'the home of the 1/2 lb steerburger'.

We dont know they are all closed, but we've checked three locations so far (Convoy, Mission Bay and Point Loma).

Whats up with that?????

The Boll Weevil in Santee closed some time ago and is now a BBQ joint. There is one (or at least there used to be) in the Souplantation strip mall on Fletcher Parkway. I'll have to ask my family to check it out if they're in the neighborhood to see if it's still there.

I Googled the restaurant and it says there are still some locations though I'm not sure if that information is current. According to listings on Sandiegobizmart.com they had up to 10 locations. It's the end of an era. They were like Fuddruckers before Fuddruckers existed. When your burgers came, you were given your own condiment tray so you could dress the burger the way you liked it. I think the Longhorn in the Von's shopping center on Mission Gorge (by Kaiser) has a condiment tray, too.

I read in Wikipedia that the first location on Midway (the one we always went to when we were kids) was next door to the Cotton Patch which is how the owner came up with the name "The Boll Weevil".

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I was searching Boll Weevil, because they seem to have shutdown en masse,  up oars and away quite out of the blue.  Its odd to think of San Diego absent 'the home of the 1/2 lb steerburger'.

Whats up with that?????

Please tell me Point Loma didn't close!!!!!

The original Midway Drive store closed a couple years back.

The "Mother of Boll Weevil, the Cotton Patch, had made way for the nudie bar years ago.

Apparently, the USPS (the land's leesor), prefers boobs over burgers.

Been to ill fated Boll Weevils in Riverside, Hemet, Temecula, Encinitas (old & new) and Oceanside.

Most of the newer closings are due to outrageous rent increases.

The old Mission Gorge Road location made room for the stadium traffic.

There are still stores open in Lakeside, Lemon Grove, Miramar and El Cajon.

The El Cajon store, on Second Street, has been around since the late 60's/early 70's.

It's probably the oldest remaining store.

Edited by Stupid_American (log)

For Bangkok eats, check out my Cheap Eats Bangkok

I ate all Boll Weevil once on thought it was awful. The worst preformed-at-the-factory patty I ever ate. That was in 1985 ...never been back since. I used to live on Alvarado in those apartments across the street from DZ Akins and there used to be a Doodle Burgers right there on the corner. Now THEY had some good stuff. I thought I heard or read some time ago of one still around...maybe near that small strip of stores by Washington and India street. Probably not there anymore.

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

About the Boll Weevil-

Had lunch at the Boll Wevil on Clairemont Mesa about a month ago. It is what it is. Feh. That one, and the one on Miramar are still open for business--- if that's your thing. Still haven't found the ULTIMATE San Diego burger. Like Bully's, Hodad's... and chain burgers like Red Robin, FatBurger and Tommy's... but still haven't found ANYTHING to really rave about. If you have any ideers.... tell me. I can only cheat on my diet about once every month or so... and this is what I'd like to cheat with. :biggrin:

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

37 second review:

Sausage King

811 W. Washington

San Dago

----

Great smoked meat. Good selection... but somewhat limited palatte. Loved several salami variants, but did not find the garlic sausages or the Hungarian "BoyScout" sausages I was craving. What I did try was good. Beware that the prices are by the HALF Pound... and not too cheap. Interesting selection of mustards, sauces, garnishes, breads &c.

If you haven't been, it's worth a look. If you've been, let me know what you think/thought about it.

Howard :blink:

"Cogito Ergo Dim Sum; Therefore I think these are Pork Buns"

hvrobinson@sbcglobal.net

Although I still hit a Boll Weevil when I get a chance, I will admit that my attraction is brought on a bit from a little nostalgia. And, they have gone down in the quailty of the burger.

When Boll Weevil opened it was burgers (didn't even offer lettuce and tomato) and fries, and the entire menu fit on a tortoise shell, hung on the wall. In their pursuit of a larger customer base, they added a "lighter fair", and actually promoted the chain as "yuppie pool halls".

When all they made was burgers, it was much easier to make great burgers. It also suffers from the "unsupervised generic kitchen help" syndrome. In the past, the cooks took a bit more pride in the product.

For Bangkok eats, check out my Cheap Eats Bangkok

Sausage King : loved the bacon but was amazed at its shrinkage - to about 25% starting size. Still, it had enough flavor to be used strip for strip vs Costco stuff.

Salamis: liked some, thought they were very similiar in general.

There are some smoked sausages hanging from the back wall that I want to try sometime.

The place smells incredible inside. Just remembering the smell of the smoke and meats is making my mouth water. Good smoked Gouda too.

Boll Weevil - the one on 2nd in El Cajon is now a big hole in the ground. Its kinda like McD's leaving. I didnt love the food, but its been a San Diego institution for a long time now.

It's definitely not on any tourist map, but it definitely does serve some truly good Mexican food. "It" would be the place with the unlikely name of Ranas.com in even more unlikely neighborhood of Casa de Oro. Located in a strip mall, more or less, at the intersection of Campo Rd. and Bancroft Dr. Ranas.com is worth the trek out from San Diego. (Look for the sign that says "Mexico City Cuisine") Be sure to bring your shades since the interior is painted in day-glo chartruese green :cool:

The menu has only a few of the usual suspects and some more interesting items. Sure you can find tacos and enchiladas, but you'll also find sopes, huaraches and molcajetes. And I'll add, this is the only Mexican restaurant in which I've seen molcajetes offered as a menu item. The molcajete is heated on a grill until white hot, then assorted vegetables, meats and cheese are added and the whole thing is topped off with nopales. I've seen and eaten this in Mexico, but I've not seen it NOB, and I have not yet tried the version at Ranas.com.

The chicken enchiladas are stellar with a bright, clean salsa verde. One bite and I was transported to Mexico, the flavor was that close. The cochinita pibil was different than any version I've had or made in that it was more like chunks in a gravy, but the flavor was right on the nose. Mama Testa in Hillcrest makes better cochinita, but Ranas version was perfectly fine. The tortas are enormous, bigger than you'd find in Mexico, but similar to what you find in Southern California. Specials the other night included cecina and chicken in pecan sauce.

The telling thing about this place is that my 88 year old mother, who likes Mexican food but wouldn't know "authentic" if it bit her on the nose, wants to go back and try something else. She has her eye on the sopes...

• 2 months later...

Crazy Seafood Buffet

Just a couple of miles west of that major monument to the art of the Asian buffet, East Buffet (now renamed Acme Buffet but still fine), is this more modest but very enjoyable alternative. The lowslung building doesn't look like much from the outside. The dining room inside has pretty-looking faux trees... and some neat, not-dumbed-down-for-Euro-American seafood. Like the big sea snails. Getting these out of their shells required some non-trivial seafood mano-a-mano. And the prize was not the most tender morsel in the world. But--damn, they were big-ass snails on a buffet, man! How cool is that? :laugh: And then there was the baby octopus salad ...

Other seafood highlights the night I went were the chunks of salt-and-pepper blue crab, oysters both raw and steamed with black bean sauce, and steaks of a fish whose name escapes me but was quite flavorful. Also notable were some decent roast duck, and the veggie offerings, including steamed Chinese mustard greens and thick asparagus spears. Bevies of high-school/college-age Asians were partaking that night, as well as families with young kids. I need to pay this place another visit.

• 1 year later...

"Scootz" in Santee shut down about a week or so ago. :sad:

On the plus side: Santee now has a Rubio's across from the Costco (in a horrible location...their street-front signage is hidden by the trees).

The Home of the Iowa Porker (I can't recall the actual restaurant name) closed and was replaced by a Filippi's.

And rumor has it an "Islands" burger joint will be opening in Santee sometime next year.

Tim Oliver

• 3 months later...

Panchos on Main, near 2nd, in El Cajon.

Excellent chilaquiles. Choice of three sauces. HUGE portions.

The soups looked excellent.

• 1 month later...

The Santee site that used to be Scootz BBQ (and was Boll Weevil's before that) is becoming an Alberto's. You can see Alberto's banners from the street but I didn't see any signage as to when it would be open. The problem with this location is that this shopping center is not very easy to get in and out of. The backed-up traffic from the traffic signal at Mission Gorge and Town Centre Parkway (leading to Costco/WalMart) makes it difficult to get onto Mission Gorge Road. Of course, it's goes without saying that there's no drive-thru for this restaurant location either.

There used to be a Roberto's just up the street in the old Taco Bell building near Carlton Hills Boulevard and Mission Gorge Road. That building was razed and is supposed to be the site of a Walgreen's. So the new Alberto's will fill the gap left by Roberto's exit from Santee.

I think Cazadores (which is next to where Jack-in-the-Box was) is still there across from the Kohl's though I am not sure. The Henry's shopping center is mostly open including the new Jack-in-the-box and a Starbucks (with drive-thru). Google Street View doesn't show the new Henry's shopping center, yet, so I couldn't recall if the Cazadores survived the demolition for the Henry's shopping center.

Tim Oliver

• 3 weeks later...

Alberto's on Mission Gorge in Santee has "Grand Opening" signage outside so I'm assuming they're now open.

Also, Cazadores definitely was demolished but has re-opened in the new Henry's shopping center. They have some tables and chairs in front of the restuarant for outside dining.

We saw a "Coming Soon" sign for a pasta place in the same shopping center but I can't recall the name on the sign.

There's a relatively new chinese buffet in El Cajon that we've been going to recently that's pretty good. It's called the New East Buffet. They're pricey for dinner (about $10 a person) but I think they're worth it. It's housed in the old Marie Callender's site just off of East I-8 & N. Magnolia. The lunch is much cheaper but they don't offer as wide as variety as they do for dinner.

They have some sushi, as well, and offer a sort of Mongolian barbecue (using a regular grill instead of the domed grill). Unlike most Mongolian BBQ places, you have access to the meats they offer, as well as the rest of the ingredients so you really control what goes into your BBQ. They also offer garlic and a chili sauce if you like things spicy.

Has anyone else been?

Tim Oliver

• 7 months later...

Some sad news...The San Diego La Torta chain seems to have closed. My brother said he drove past the College area location just before Christmas and couldn't believe his eyes when he saw that location was closed. I asked him if perhaps they were just closed for time off during the holiday season but he said they looked permanently closed.

He was visiting friends in the Pacific Beach area and drove past the Cass Street location and saw that it was closed, as well.

Has anyone heard anything about the chain closing?

I recently had lunch with two of my brothers at Mama Testa (web page) on University and enjoyed the food. They have a wonderful little salsa bar with varying degrees of spiciness, as well. One of my brothers thought the portions were a little skimpy. He had ordered the Bistec soft tacos which was beef steak on three small open faced tortillas . My other brother thought the opposite. He ordered the Mojados de Carne and enjoyed it immensely. The serving was quite large and had chopped pieces of 4 rolled beef tacos floating in it. I ordered the Del Muñeco which was two crunchy beef tacos and thought they were great. They used queso fresco to top the tacos and everything was indeed fresh and crunchy.

One slight drawback was that the bright vivid interior smelled slightly of new paint but it wasn't overwhelming.

I also had lunch at Amerin Thai Food (www.amarinthaisandiego.com - can't get the link to work) just down the block from Mama Testa's. The place was packed and the lunch specials were satisfying. I only wish I had tried something spicy!

Has anyone else been to either Mama Testa or Amerin Thai?

Tim Oliver

I recently had lunch with two of my brothers at Mama Testa (web page) on University and enjoyed the food. They have a wonderful little salsa bar with varying degrees of spiciness, as well. One of my brothers thought the portions were a little skimpy. He had ordered the Bistec soft tacos which was beef steak on three small open faced tortillas . My other brother thought the opposite. He ordered the Mojados de Carne and enjoyed it immensely. The serving was quite large and had chopped pieces of 4 rolled beef tacos floating in it. I ordered the Del Muñeco which was two crunchy beef tacos and thought they were great. They used queso fresco to top the tacos and everything was indeed fresh and crunchy.

One slight drawback was that the bright vivid interior smelled slightly of new paint but it wasn't overwhelming.

I also had lunch at Amerin Thai Food (www.amarinthaisandiego.com - can't get the link to work) just down the block from Mama Testa's. The place was packed and the lunch specials were satisfying. I only wish I had tried something spicy!

I think the La Torta in La Mesa is still open.

The salsa bar at Mama Testa's rocks. They make their salsas daily and from scratch. The Escalera is my favorite; it would have been the bright, orangish looking, smooth salsa.

The bistec tacos are how tacos are served in Mexico. They aren't, however, the best thing Mama Testa does. The Mojados de Carne are one of the best things on the menu and are very good. Your brother chose well.

Some of the other things on the menu that are outstanding are the - Empapados (hard shell mashed potatoe tacos, the Asi Yasado (grilled chicken tacos), Tacos de Cochinita Pibil and the tacos with chorizo. Both the pibil and the chorizo are made in house and are not commercially purchased items. There are also some interesting vegetarian options using rajas and nopales.

Cesar Gonzalez the owner of MT beat Bobby Flay on Throwdown earlier this year with fish tacos. I'm not a fan of fish tacos in general, but I do know people who like the fish tacos at MT really well.

I think the La Torta in La Mesa is still open.

The salsa bar at Mama Testa's rocks. They make their salsas daily and from scratch. The Escalera is my favorite; it would have been the bright, orangish looking, smooth salsa.

The bistec tacos are how tacos are served in Mexico. They aren't, however, the best thing Mama Testa does. The Mojados de Carne are one of the best things on the menu and are very good. Your brother chose well.

Some of the other things on the menu that are outstanding are the - Empapados (hard shell mashed potatoe tacos, the Asi Yasado (grilled chicken tacos), Tacos de Cochinita Pibil and the tacos with chorizo. Both the pibil and the chorizo are made in house and are not commercially purchased items. There are also some interesting vegetarian options using rajas and nopales.

Cesar Gonzalez the owner of MT beat Bobby Flay on Throwdown earlier this year with fish tacos. I'm not a fan of fish tacos in general, but I do know people who like the fish tacos at MT really well.

We had played with the idea of getting a round of the steamed tacos (where you can get one of each kind) but thought it would be too much food.

Yes, the Escalera salsa rocked. It was an odd color (I'm used to either green or red salsa). My horizons have been broadened!

Tim Oliver

• 1 year later...

Tropical Star on Balboa Ave has a pan-central/south american menu.

At first glance they may not meet requirement for cheap eats, but since any one meal will feed two adults easily, its all good.

The wall o' groceries on one side is interesting too. Something from it wends its way into my order every time.

Its a hole in the wall. A couple tables outside, a few inside. The palomilla bistec was good, I didnt care for the ropa vieja particularly, the chicken in banana leaf is very good. Many things come with a fried egg atop buttered rice. The sweet plantains are well prepared (maduros). We particularly liked the batido de maracuya (passion fruit) and tamarindo (tamarind) which had the sweet sour balance of excellent lemonade. The guanabana version was thick and sweet as expected.