• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Finest cheesesteak?

rlibkind

Tony Luke's actually does some great burgers, too. But you're right, cheesesteaks aren't their mainstay and I won't be convinced that Tony Lukes translates any better to NYC than it did to Center City Philadelphia until I get up there myself.

A world class cheesesteak outside of metro Philadelphia - White House Subs in AC.

There is also that place in LA's Farmers Market where one can order cheesesteaks with either sprouts or avocado. Not really world class, I guess, but so very LA.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Tony Luke's actually does some great burgers, too.  But you're right, cheesesteaks aren't their mainstay and I won't be convinced that Tony Lukes translates any better to NYC than it did to Center City Philadelphia until I get up there myself.

A world class cheesesteak outside of metro Philadelphia - White House subs in AC.

There's also that place in LA's Farmers Market where one can order cheesesteaks with either sprouts or avocado.  Not really world class, I guess, but so very LA.

I'll file that under "Crimes Against Cheesesteaks" :wacko:

But no one  :wink: ever eats a cheesesteak at Tony Luke's in Phila. -- if you don't eat roast pork with greens and provolone, you die.

i have!

i was with people who wanted to try both roast pork and cheesesteak, so we ordered both. the cheesesteak was solid. good stuff. in fact, if someone were wanting a good example of both sandwiches at one place, i wouldn't hesitate to recommend tony luke's.

But no one  :wink: ever eats a cheesesteak at Tony Luke's in Phila. -- if you don't eat roast pork with greens and provolone, you die.

i have!

i was with people who wanted to try both roast pork and cheesesteak, so we ordered both. the cheesesteak was solid. good stuff. in fact, if someone were wanting a good example of both sandwiches at one place, i wouldn't hesitate to recommend tony luke's.

It's not whether or not TL's makes a good cheesesteak. I don't have the foggiest idea, because it's impossible for me to try anything else there when they have such goooood roast pork.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I've been in L.I. for the last few seasons and when I need a fix I go to tony luke's N.Y. for the provy wit and the pork italiano ,if ya order it that way they know ya from philly.

"..French Vanilla, Butter Pecan, Chocolate Deluxe, even Caramel sundaes is getting touched.." Ice Cream

I won't be convinced that Tony Lukes translates any better to NYC than it did to Center City Philadelphia until I get up there myself.

Speaking of which, I happened to walk by Tony Jr.'s yesterday and noticed right on the sign: Famous "Philly" Cheesesteaks. I guess whoever runs it now figures no true Philadelphian will go, so they are trying to pull in the tourists. :blink:

It's not whether or not TL's makes a good cheesesteak. I don't have the foggiest idea, because it's impossible for me to try anything else there when they have such goooood roast pork.

It took me two visits, but I was able to answer that question.

Their cheesesteak is merely excellent, but that's only because their roast pork Italian is sublime. Standing on its own, TL's cheesteak is head and shoulders above the usual must-eat steaks people recommend. And it too comes in an Italiano version, with the same accoutrements as the roast pork.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

• 2 years later...

Didn't quite know where to post this. Please leave aside the gourmand bullshit: just reportage. Geno's steaks are now $7. Cheesefries (frozen, but not bad) @$2.75. My swansong is leaving me sangfroid.

• 1 month later...

My favorite cheesesteak is built by Steve's Prince of Steaks in the Northeast - 7200 Bustleton Avenue at St. Vincent. That's about 20 - 30 minutes by car from Center City - which, depending on your transport options and available time, may or may not be doable.

Good steaks closer to Center City - Johnny Hot's on Delaware Avenue (Columbus Blvd), the aforementioned John's Roast Pork, and Tony Luke's on Oregon Ave.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

My favorite cheesesteak is built by Steve's Prince of Steaks in the Northeast - 7200 Bustleton Avenue at St. Vincent.  That's about 20 - 30 minutes by car from Center City - which, depending on your transport options and available time, may or may not be doable.

Good steaks closer to Center City - Johnny Hot's on Delaware Avenue (Columbus Blvd), the aforementioned John's Roast Pork, and Tony Luke's on Oregon Ave.

Has a Wiz steak 'wit from Talk of the Town last night before the Phillies game. Second to only Steve's in the "flipped not chopped" steak world. Highly recommended.

I belch, therefore, I ate...

I stand by my current favorite cheesesteak at the Grey Lodge in NE Philly. They use sirloin to start, dont chop it up and serve it on really tasty DePalma rolls. And the fries are killer. Get a bowl of mussels or clams as an appetizer too. And well, it's also a craft brew and bourbon mecca. Now that's a quinella to win.

Edited by Rich Pawlak (log)

Rich Pawlak

Reporter, The Trentonian

Feature Writer, INSIDE Magazine
Food Writer At Large

MY BLOG: THE OMNIVORE

"In Cerveza et Pizza Veritas"

Just a reminder for folks visiting from out of town: some of these spots are not easily reached from downtown Philly without a car, and even with a car, some are a challenge.

As Holly noted, Steve's Prince of Steaks is up in Northeast Philly. The Gray Lodge is too. Neither place is very hard to get to by car, but that part of the city can be confusing without GPS. One could take a cab up there, but it's not a short ride, it would make for a pretty pricey cheesesteak by the time you're done.

Even John's Roast Pork and Tony Luke's, which are much closer to what we call "center city," are not convenient walks from any areas you're likely to be in. They're much quicker/easier drives if you have a car, and would not be totally insane cab rides. Same for Johhny Hot's.

Phungi's suggestion, Talk of the Town, is pretty far south on Broad Street, down by the stadiums, but you can get there on the Broad Street subway line.

Jim's, at 4th and South is pretty easy to get to. Sonny's, on Market between 2nd and 3rd is fairly convenient.

Rick's, conveniently located in the Reading Terminal Market (at least for a few more months) is apparently a civic treasure, yet mysteriously no one ever seems to recommend getting a cheesesteak from there. I did not especially enjoy the last one I had, but admittedly, that was some time ago. More importantly, when in the Terminal there are better things to eat than anyone's cheesesteak.

I'd take a cab to John's Roast pork (before about 2:30pm Mon-fri). If they're closed by the time you get there, it's only a little further to Tony Luke's. If the cabbie doesn't know where John's Roast Pork is, just ask to be taken to the IKEA on Columbus Blvd. It's on Synder Ave, right near there. Get the sharp provolone.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

Rick's, conveniently located in the Reading Terminal Market (at least for a few more months) is apparently a civic treasure, yet mysteriously no one ever seems to recommend getting a cheesesteak from there.  I did not especially enjoy the last one I had, but admittedly, that was some time ago. More importantly, when in the Terminal there are better things to eat than anyone's cheesesteak.

Before the big Rick's Steaks brouhaha emerged nearly a year ago, there were hardly any comments about his steaks. The one comment I found in an eGullet search was negative. I had posted that while there were better examples of cheese steaks to be found, Rick's version was a reasonable example of what a cheese steak is and that, if you had your heart and tummy set on a cheese steak but weren't able to leave the convention center area, it would do, but that the RTM offered better sandwich choices, particularly Tommy's roast pork and Salumeria's hoagies.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Rick's, conveniently located in the Reading Terminal Market (at least for a few more months) is apparently a civic treasure, yet mysteriously no one ever seems to recommend getting a cheesesteak from there. 

pointing out that market management are being vindictive dicks doesn't equate to calling rick's 'a civic treasure.'

pointing out that market management are being vindictive dicks doesn't equate to calling rick's 'a civic treasure.'

The judge issued summary judgements for market management on everything except $1500 in site improvements.

RTM was heavy handed with a difficult merchant, but Rick didn't protect his franchise effectively. He had a lease, not a legacy.

Now this divorce is final, lets leave this bitterness for the participants and hope the next cash cow in that spot offers great eats for all of us.

Charlie, the Main Line Mummer

We must eat; we should eat well.

Just a reminder for folks visiting from out of town: some of these spots are not easily reached from downtown Philly without a car, and even with a car, some are a challenge.

As Holly noted, Steve's Prince of Steaks is up in Northeast Philly.  The Gray Lodge is too. Neither place is very hard to get to by car, but that part of the city can be confusing without GPS. One could take a cab up there, but it's not a short ride, it would make for a pretty pricey cheesesteak by the time you're done.

Even John's Roast Pork and Tony Luke's, which are much closer to what we call "center city,"  are not convenient walks from any areas you're likely to be in.  They're much quicker/easier drives if you have a car, and would not be totally insane cab rides.  Same for Johhny Hot's.

Phungi's suggestion, Talk of the Town, is pretty far south on Broad Street, down by the stadiums, but you can get there on the Broad Street subway line.

Jim's, at 4th and South is pretty easy to get to.   Sonny's, on Market between 2nd and 3rd is fairly convenient.

Rick's, conveniently located in the Reading Terminal Market (at least for a few more months) is apparently a civic treasure, yet mysteriously no one ever seems to recommend getting a cheesesteak from there.  I did not especially enjoy the last one I had, but admittedly, that was some time ago. More importantly, when in the Terminal there are better things to eat than anyone's cheesesteak.

I'd take a cab to John's Roast pork (before about 2:30pm Mon-fri).  If they're closed by the time you get there, it's only a little further to Tony Luke's.  If the cabbie doesn't know where John's Roast Pork is, just ask to be taken to the IKEA on Columbus Blvd.  It's on Synder Ave, right near there. Get the sharp provolone.

See what happens when I leave these boards for a while?

Several of these places are not all that difficult to get to on SEPTA, though the hassle factor varies. I'd rank them as follows in terms of overall convenience:

Talk of the Town

Tony Luke's (depending on time of day)

Grey Lodge

John's Roast Pork

Steve's Prince of Steaks

As mentioned before, Talk of the Town is right on the Broad Street Subway, 3 blocks S of Oregon station, where the Walt Whitman Bridge expressway passes over Broad. Travel time from Center City (City Hall station) is a mere 8 minutes.

Tony Luke's is at Front and Oregon, along Bus Route G, which runs from Overbrook to the Food Distribution Center in South Philly. It crosses the Broad Street Line at Oregon (see Talk of the Town above), and from there, the G bus takes about 5 minutes to get to Front Street (Oregon Avenue is unusually wide for a Philly thoroughfare and thus rarely congested). If you go during the day, service on the G is frequent -- 9-minute intervals or less -- but after 6:30 pm, the headways quickly stretch to around 30 minutes. During the day, it's more convenient than the Grey Lodge; in the evening, less so.

The Grey Lodge is a mere 5-minute bus ride up Frankford Avenue from the Frankford end of the Market-Frankford Line. The Route 66 trolleybus from Frankford Transportation Center operates 24/7, runs very frequently (every 4-8 minutes) during the day, every 15 minutes from 7 to 8 pm, and every 20 minutes after that until around midnight. It's a 25-minute ride on the El from City Hall (15th Street) to FTC. Despite having a slightly longer travel time than the next option, I rate this higher on the overall convenience scale because of the frequency of service on the 66 bus.

John's Roast Pork is near the eastern end of the Route 79 bus, which crosses the Broad Street Line at Snyder Avenue station. It's a 6-minute ride from City Hall to Snyder and another 10 minutes from Broad to Front on Snyder. Buses run at roughly 12-minute intervals during John's hours of operation.

When I went up to Steve's Prince of Steaks for that "Hungry Detective" shoot, I took the Route 58 bus up Bustleton Avenue from Frankford Transportation Center, about an 8-minute trip (Steve's is a block or two south of Cottman Avenue, the main E-W drag through the central Northeast). Buses run every 12-15 minutes during the day until about 7:30 pm, after which time they run at 20-, then 30-minute intervals.

So there you have it: A little more time, but nowhere more than a half hour or so, a lot less money, and an opportunity to get a more up-close-and-personal view of the city in all its messy glory.

So: Have you eaten your cheesesteak yet? I'd offer to join you if you haven't, but my calendar is pretty full from this point on in the week.

Edited to correct travel times on the Broad Street Subway and revise the rankings accordingly.

Edited by MarketStEl (log)

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

So there you have it:  A little more time, but nowhere more than a half hour or so, a lot less money, and an opportunity to get a more up-close-and-personal view of the city in all its messy glory.

So: Have you eaten your cheesesteak yet?  I'd offer to join you if you haven't, but my calendar is pretty full from this point on in the week.

Edited to correct travel times on the Broad Street Subway and revise the rankings accordingly.

Given the hundreds and hundreds of cheesesteak discussions, kudos on an excellent, tangible, geographic guide on getting a Philly Cheesesteak for out-of-towners!

I belch, therefore, I ate...

Tony Luke's actually does some great burgers, too.  But you're right, cheesesteaks aren't their mainstay and I won't be convinced that Tony Lukes translates any better to NYC than it did to Center City Philadelphia until I get up there myself.

A world class cheesesteak outside of metro Philadelphia - White House Subs in AC.

I managed to get my White house fix in the other day and I still think they are the best Cheesesteak anywhere. Their standard is to do it Hoagie style, or a cheesesteak sub as they call it, but I think it stands up to anything found elsewhere and remains my favorite.

I, like many here will never bother with a cheesesteak at tony lukes over a roast pork, and I think John's cheesestaek is one of the best, but it does not beat the white house.

While the White House cheesesteak is nothing to scoff at, its the meatballs and Regular Sub(Italian Hoagie) that get me going. So much so that i haven't ordered a cheesesteak there in a decade!

Edited by boggah (log)

While the White House cheesesteak is nothing to scoff at, its the meatballs and Regular Sub(Italian Hoagie) that get me going. So much so that i haven't ordered a cheesesteak there in a decade!

I will have to try the meatball as I have never had that. Tonight maybe is as good a time as any.

Our usuall is to get a Italian sub and a cheesesteak and share. Gives us best of both worlds.

Interestingly they have a varient on the italian regular sub called a special, which is basically more meat. I think it screws up the balance of perfection and is not as good as the lower priced regular.

I also like the tuna sub they make.

The judge issued summary judgements for market management on everything except $1500 in site improvements.

RTM was heavy handed with a difficult merchant, but Rick didn't protect his franchise effectively. He had a lease, not a legacy.

Now this divorce is final, lets leave this bitterness for the participants and hope the next cash cow in that spot offers great eats for all of us.

+1, +1 +1, and for the love of gods plus one. Enough.