• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

2002 NJ Farmer’s Market Schedule

2002 NJ Farmer’s Market Schedule

SUNDAY

Morristown: 9 AM-2 PM; 6/23 to 10/27; Dumont Place parking lot.

Red Bank: 9-2; 7/14 to 10/27; Galleria parking lot West Front St and Shrewsbury Ave.

Ridgewood: 9-3; 6/30 to 10/27; Ridgewood train station, west side parking lot.

Summit: 8:30 –1:30; 6/30 to 11/3; Park and Shop lot #2, Maple St and DeForest Ave.

MONDAY

Jersey City Waterfront:noon to 7; Christopher Columbus Drive and Exchange Pl.

Maplewood: 2:30-7:30 PM 7/1 to 10/28;Indiana St parking lot, Springfield Ave.

Newark community: 10:30-4; 7/1to 10/28; 555 Martin Luther King Blvd.

TUESDAY

East Orange: 10-5; 7/2 to 10/29; 192 Halsted St, lot 2D.

Hasbrouck Heights: noon to 6; 6/18 to 10/1; Boulevard at Washington Pl.

Hoboken: 3-7:30; 6/25 to 10/29; Newark St between River and Hudson.

Jersey City-Harvest Square: 3:30-6:30; 7/9 to 10/29; St. Patrick’s church, Bramhall & Ocean Ave.

Springfield: 1-7; 7/9 to 8/27; High School parking lot, 101 Mountain Ave 9/3 to 10/29 Springfield Free Public Library.

WEDNESDAY

Jersey City-Journal Square: 11-7; 7/10 to 11/20; fountain plaza.

Newark, Essex County Urban League: 10-4; 508 Central Ave.

Roselle Park: 1-6; 7/3 to 10/30; Chestnut St and E. Grant Ave.

South Orange: 2:30-7; 7/3 to 10/30; NJ Transit parking lot, Sloan St. & South Orange Ave.

THURSDAY

Livingston: noon to 6; 7/11 to 10/25; Firehouse commons, rear parking lot, 45 S Livingston Ave.

Madison: 2-7; 7/11 to 8/29; Madison High School, Ridgedale Ave, 9/5 to 10/31 Community Pool, Rosedale Ave.

Westfield: 2-7; 7/11 to 10/31; NJ Transit station, South Ave lot.

FRIDAY

Englewood: noon-7; 7/12 to 10/25; Veterans’ Memorial Park, North Van Brunt St. & Demarest

Highland Park: 11-6; June to November; Raritan Ave. between 2nd and 3rd Ave.

Millburn: 8-2; 6/14 to 11/1; Essex St at Main St.

West Orange: noon-6; 7/5 to 10/25; CVS parking lot, 217 Main St.

SATURDAY

Bernardsville: 9-2; 6/15 to 10/19; NJ Transit station, Rt 202 & Claremont Rd.

Metuchen: 9-2; 6/29 to 9/28; Central & Middlesex Ave. Stop & Shop parking lot.

Montclair: 8-2; 6/29 to 11/2; South Fullerton parking lot.

North Plainfield:10-4; 7/6 to 10/26; Somerset St opposite borough hall.

Scotch Plains: 8-2; 6/22 to 10/25; Municipal parking lot at Park Ave.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

I'll try to ascertain who some of the participating farmers are, as I know there is some overlap with the NYC greenmarkets. Thanks to Rosie for spreading the good news.

that would be great.  any recs would be appreciated.  maybe i can name drop.  :wink:

• 3 weeks later...

Hit the Farmer's market in Morristown yesterday morning to check out what I could possibly use for the restaurant. Instead after brousing and grazing for 30 minutes, hit my cell phone and started planning a dinner for friends and family.Bought some beautiful sunflowers and Dragonlillies and spead them throughout my downstairs. The market was bit small and some of stands obviously has the same produce, some better than others. Started with some smoked mozzarella and three types of bread, pepperoni, semolina twist and a cheese & garlic with yellow cherry tomatoes. I served a Domaine Zind Humbrecht Riesling '97 with this. Next I served a salad of summer beets, sugar smow peas, peppered goat cheese and red bibb lettuce with a light champagne viniagrette for the bibb lettuce. I find the salad course always difficult to pair a wine with and didn't have access to my wine cellar at the restaurant ( didn't want to drive the 5 minutes due to the ingestion of 3 Magic Hat #9 beers.) so I opened a couple of bottles of Veuve Cliquet. Made a decent viniagrette. For the main course I pan seared to make a sauce with root vegetables then grilled a 3 pound London Broil and served it with tiny organic white potatoes with organic videlia onions and of course beautiful corn on the cob. I've been fortunate through the years that I've had the restaurant to serve different wines by the glass, most that by my cost are $9-$13 allowing me to charge for a 8 oz glass $6 to $8. I usually bring home about 6-12 bottles of each and try to forget about them in my cellar for a while. Yesterday I opened with the main course a R.H. Phillips Syrah '95 that while still a little thin stood up well with dinner. For about $50 worth of food I fed 6 adults and 4 children and still had left-overs for lunch today which were needed as we all had espresso martini's for desert and am just starting to feel normal now at 6:00p.m.

I look foward to hitting a few of these farmer's markets for the restaurant during the week and saving the Morristown on for Sunday's. Thanks for the list Rosie.

Luckily, here in TRUE central NJ, we have the 4 day a week Trenton Farmer's market, with all the S. Jersey blueberry farms, Lambertville and Ringoes Herb farms,and every polish/slovak/czech heritage person stopping by for the kielbasi and cheeses, plus, th/Fri/Sat, we have th Kingston Amish market, straight form the depths of Lancaster,PA, bonnets and all...I remember living int he city and being so appreciative of the farmer's markets...now that I'm back in the heart of the garden state, their cast of characters is not as impressive...yeah, artisan goat chees is cool...until you have amish goat milk pressed cheese...1/4 the price, twice the freshness, even if they don'tknow how to market and package it.

Here in Hunterdon County we are awash in farmer's markets and stands. This is what I consider to be the best stand in my area, and for most of a 40 mile radius: The Farm Stand, which is located on Cook's Corner Road, one mile east from Rte. 513, and this intersection is 3 miles south of Clinton, and 1/2 mile north of Pittstown. They have a big, colorful sign telling you to turn onto said road, as well as a sign a mile before, to warn you. You have to see this place -- small, not expansive, but they grow and bring in maybe 10 kinds of eggplant, 25 types of hot peppers, lots of heirloom and hybrid tomatoes (lots and lots, and you can buy bushels of good, blemished tomatoes really cheap for canning), and everyone for miles around knows they have the absolutely, very best corn, which they grow themselves. To see this place is to weep. It is so incredibly beautiful, especially around September, when the pumpkins, winter squash and gourds are on display all over the barn and grounds. I don't have a personal relationship with the owners, but can say that they are nice as can be. By the way, the drive to get there is quite spectacular.

I visited the Madison Market on Thursday afternoon. First incarnation this year.

Alstede has ripe tomatoes, basil, peaches, lettuce. Lebanon Kitchen Garden (new this year) had a wide selection of aragula, several lettuces, basil, and promised a selection of heirloom tomatoes later in the season. Totally organic (NOFA-NJ).

Greenwood Farms from Port Colden (the port comes from its location along the Morris Canal) had a wonderful smoked mozzarella ($7#), fresh mozz, sweet spring onions, basil, fingerling potatoes, etc. I understand they have a selection of smoked meats at the Sunday market in Morristown.

There will likely be more vendors as the season progresses. I didn't see Ted Blew this year, maybe he'll be in later in the season.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

• 1 month later...
You forgot Teaneck.  Their's is on Thursdays from 2-7pm at Cedar Lane and Chestnut.

It's much smaller than the previous years. The big draw is the amish Table- cakes,cookies breads , & some things in jars. The crowd around them is amazing!!

• 1 month later...

I stopped by Madison's market yesterday. Two more incarnations until they pack it in. Last day is Halloween.

Tomatoes $3.75 qt (dents and bruises $2), late aragula and basil. Potatoes and squash in abundance. Macouns were $3. The drought has created a very intense concentrated taste this year. Greenwood had more fresh mozz and some smoked mozz. Taking orders for organic turkeys, too.

New vendor, Oldwick Shepherd, was selling sheep milk cheeses ($8.50 for 8 oz). Described as cheeses served at Artisanal in NYC.

Oldwick Shepherd

Currently have six regular vendors. Market is looking for a bread vendor for next year, also a butter and egg person...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

For those who want the address--Madison:  9/5 to 10/31 Community Pool, Rosedale Ave.(Thursday)

Rail Paul--Where is Rosedale Ave near? Can you give us some directions from Rt 124?

From Madison center, travel east on Main Street toward Chatham about 3/4 mile, then turn left onto Rosedale. There's an FU Bank (First Union to those who aren't customers) on the corner.

Rosedale runs north from Main Street, the market is located at the community pool. That's about a mile in from Main St. There's a soccer field just past the driveway.

The artisanal cheese was excellent, but $17 a pound is a steep price. I understand it is also sold at Gary's wines (which you'll pass)

rancho gordo