• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Australian "sticky"?

I was at the bookstore a couple of weeks ago and picked up a copy of delicious -- very nice magazine by the way. Anyway, amongst the numerous questions that arose in the course of my reading, the one that stuck in my brain was this from an article on matching food with wine:

"A sweet, rich creme brulee, however, is perfect with an Australian "sticky".

Can someone please explain what exactly an Australian "sticky" is? I'm perplexed!

Thanks.

Karen

Sweet pudding wine, eg Muscat. In the UK can mean, more generically, any liqueurs served after dinner eg 'would you like any stickies with your coffee' - cue host breaking out the Baileys, brandy, Drambuie, etc.

Fi Kirkpatrick

tofu fi fie pho fum

"Your avatar shoes look like Marge Simpson's hair." - therese

"Sticky" is the great Aussie term for a sweet, dessert wine. Sauterne, Muscat de Beumes do Venise or the many "late harvest" "botrytized" or "ice" wines produced in Cali and Oz (and elsewhere).

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Probably one of the best known of these is De Bortoli "Noble One". A quick Google search shows at least some availability of it in the US, so if you'd like to give it a try, have a look at one of your larger local wine merchants.

Personally I don't drink a lot of 'stickies' with sweet desserts; I prefer them with cheeses. Your tastes may vary.

Sticky date pudding, of course, is another subject entirely.

It should be noted that in the Australian context, "sticky" isn't usually used to refer to [ed: just any] sweet wine/liqueur, but just to the types of wine mentioned by Busboy, SBonner and loiosh. I'm not sure that even port would fall under the "sticky" label in current usage... others would need to comment on that.

EDITED for less ambiguity -- I meant it doesn't refer to sweet wines in general, but rather to a very specific set :cool:

Edited by lamington (log)

-- lamington a.k.a. Duncan Markham

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - collaborative book reviews about all things food and wine

Syrup & Tang - candid commentary and flavourful fancies

"It's healthy. It's cake. It's chocolate cake."

It should be noted that in the Australian context, "sticky" isn't usually used to refer to any sweet wine/liqueur, but just to the types of wine mentioned by Busboy, SBonner and loiosh. I'm not sure that even port would fall under the "sticky" label in current usage... others would need to comment on that.

Can't speak from an Australian standpoint but the term has been adopted by many winegeeks, especially those who participate in Web-based fora. In that context, I've seen it used only as a synonym for sweet white wine.

the whole sticky/stickies business started in the UK according to my sources...

that's what they (Brits) call dessert wines and I think it's been adopted over here too... backpacker syndrome i'd say

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"