• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cyclo Restaurant

Cyclo is one of the best restaurants in the Phoenix area. The flavors are bright and the dishes are very tasty. Cyclo has been featured in Gourmet and Food and Wine magazines and has won "Best New Restaurant"-PhoenixMagazine

gallery_30892_1765_61712.jpg

gallery_30892_1765_61010.jpg

gallery_30892_1765_6310.jpg

gallery_30892_1765_100023.jpg

The starters are great: Lemon pepper shrimp, pork short ribs, spring rolls, spicy thai beef salad, Green Papaya and shrimp salad are all highly recommended

Green papaya and shrimp salad

gallery_30892_1765_19455.jpg

I always get this salad when I go to Cyclo

Beef Carpaccio with pinapple and rice crisps

gallery_30892_1765_109256.jpg

gallery_30892_1765_4147.jpg

gallery_30892_1765_32582.jpg

Banh xeo, a crispy rice-flour crepe stuffed with shrimp and pork, is a really neat dish. You take cilantro and mint leaves and wrap the rice crepe with them and then dip it in the sauce.

gallery_30892_1765_175703.jpg

gallery_30892_1765_82665.jpg

My absolute favorite dish is the spicy garlic green beans, I find them addicting and my friend feels they are like candy

gallery_30892_1765_182616.jpg

The owner will not tell me how to make them, but I have not given up trying to pry the recipe out of her. She is fantastic and guides every table to enjoy the Cyclo experience and instructs them on the proper way to eat the dishes.

gallery_30892_1765_9671.jpg

The pho-style soups shine here:

This one is the one with rare sirloin and it comes with a side bowl of fixins to use as you like

gallery_30892_1765_50907.jpg

gallery_30892_1765_54230.jpg

I have been instructed to put a little noodle in the spoon and then get the rest of the goodness

gallery_30892_1765_21868.jpg

Another favorite of mine here is the crispy lemongrass chicken

gallery_30892_1765_196729.jpg

After trying Cylco, you will wonder what took you so long to find it. Many of the local chefs have been spotted stuffing their faces at Cyclo and you should also.

Molto E

Eliot Wexler aka "Molto E"

MoltoE@restaurantnoca.com

Looks like we have a lot of the same favorites Molto! The shrimp crepe, spicy green beans, lemon grass chicken are soooo good! I think I had the pepper shrimp last time I was there, that is with gravy and garlic bread, right? Oh, wow so yummy! You are right on with the Pho also. The ribs are great too, not too much 5 spice, just enough.

If anyone has not been, this is such a great find! I've been going for a couple years now and the quality is consistent and Justina is a hoot!

You can't forget to mention the Vietnamese Coffee! Hot or iced, it is a must have with dinner or after.

More from Cyclo

gallery_30892_2162_1402673.jpg

Lemon pepper shrimp-whoops forgot I was taking pictures-yum!

gallery_30892_2162_314129.jpg

Spicy beef salad- very good and not to spicy

gallery_30892_2162_479158.jpg

Noodle dish with shrimp and scallops

gallery_30892_2162_297609.jpg

A little something sweet for dessert

Justina still will not give me GREEN BEAN recipe on the lookout for former employee with secret. Note to self at the sister restaurant in Tempe perhaps her sister will give up the recipe

Molto E

yes--what a great restaurant. We have lived in PHX for a month and just finally got there yesterday for lunch.

We had the spring rolls, the seafood pho and a pork noodle dish. All were amazing!

We met some wine people at Mondavi and they really like it because it's BYOB? is that true? if so how awesome!

• 1 month later...

molto e, thank you for the recommendation. My wife and I just moved to Gilbert, and have been looking for good places to eat. We've been to Cyclo three times now and have thoroughly enjoyed every visit. My wife (from Thailand) orders the Papaya salad with the meal, and one to go as we're leaving.

The BYOB policy is extremely civilized.

molto e, thank you for the recommendation. My wife and I just moved to Gilbert, and have been looking for good places to eat. We've been to Cyclo three times now and have thoroughly enjoyed every visit. My wife (from Thailand) orders the Papaya salad with the meal, and one to go as we're leaving.

The BYOB policy is extremely civilized.

Hombre,

I am glad you liked it. If you are looking for something in your area, try Shinbay-HIGHLY RECOMMEND. You have to call to make reservations, because he orders the fish for you. Ask him to get the KAMATORO, oh so good, this is someone that Nobu from Sea Saw in Scottsdale worked with-another place that I recommend.

http://home.att.net/~shinbay/

Good Eating,

Molto E