• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Front Street Smokehouse, Elizabeth

TMus1111

OK, I know it sounds easy - but looking at the map...it seems wayyyy out of the way to head all the way up to Rt. 78. (I am at exit 136). Take a look, and if you still think the 78-tpkeS-13A route makes the most sense, I'll believe you.

(The purple route marking is the recommendation of Mapquest: Pkwy exit 137 to Route 28/North Ave which becomes Westfield Ave - left onto Broad - left onto Elizabeth, right onto Front.)

gallery_3179_2746_82140.jpg

Edited to add: OK, just to further complicate things - I Mapquested the return trip, and it gave me a whole other route - which I think sounds good (unless people in the know think it's a scary route). I can get there from my office in Cranford, by taking Stiles Street to Route 1/9 to 278 - and then take Brunswick/Cole Pl/Atlantic Street to Clifton St to Trenton Ave to BaywayAve to Front St. Yeah lots of twists and turns. Anyone know this route?

This one looks like this:

gallery_3179_2746_83700.jpg

Edited by Randi (log)

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

The last route is ok up untill the part about Cole. Once you exit 278, turn left onto Atlantic ave. Follow Atlantic Ave to the 4th light and turn Right of 3rd Avenue. Follow 3rd ave to the end. Turn Left on 1st Street. Follow one light and trun Right on Elizabeth Ave. Follow to end (1 block) and FSS is on the right. :biggrin:

The last route is ok up untill the part about Cole.  Once you exit 278,  turn left onto Atlantic ave.  Follow Atlantic Ave to the 4th light and turn Right of 3rd Avenue.  Follow 3rd ave to the end.  Turn Left on 1st Street. Follow one light and trun Right on Elizabeth Ave.    Follow to end (1 block) and FSS is on the right. :biggrin:

That's what we'll do. Won't be today, but later this week. Thanks so much!

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Randi, definitely go with this one:

frontstreet.JPG

or, the second one you posted.

:laugh: now that's a scenic route!

frontstreet.JPG

:laugh: now that's a scenic route!

Get off Parkway at 136 and if you exit from south go to second right and pass hotel and continue until road curves right at light and turn right onto Stiles St (Linden). Follow Stiles to Rt 1 & 9 ( and left on 1-9 (North) as you pass Bayway circle; about 1/2 mile there is McDonalds on right - exit and go left toward Elizabeth High school and turn right at light. Go to Elizabeth Ave and turn right. Follow Elizabeth Ave until you can go no further. Water is in front of you. Look to your right Smoke House is on corner ten feet away.

Get off Parkway at 136 and if you exit from south go to second right and pass hotel and continue until road curves right at light and turn right onto Stiles St (Linden). Follow Stiles to Rt 1 & 9 ( and left on 1-9 (North) as you pass Bayway circle; about 1/2 mile there is McDonalds on right - exit and go left toward Elizabeth High school and turn right at light. Go to Elizabeth Ave and turn right. Follow Elizabeth Ave until you can go no further. Water is in front of you. Look to your right Smoke House is on corner ten feet away.

I work in Cranford, very near Stiles, so this one sounds like a winner. Thanks!

frontstreet.JPG

Oh baby.. Its getting serious.. Randi has just broke out the maps.. :biggrin: After looking at this map, I think I just forgot how to get to Front Street. Seriously , where else would someone go through all of this, just so to ensure another peson gets some great BBQ.. Egullet, what a nice place..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Oh baby.. Its getting serious.. Randi has just broke out the maps..  :biggrin:  After looking at this map, I think I just forgot how to get to Front Street.  Seriously , where else would someone go through all of this, just so to ensure another peson gets some great BBQ.. Egullet, what a nice place..

we are of, and for, the people.

So my wife finnfann, young son Toby (14 mos), and two good friends trekked to Front Street Smokehouse for lunch this past Saturday. Neighborhood may not be much to look at (at this point; who knows what the future may bring), but hey, we were there for the 'q. And man was it swell.

Bruce was extremely helpful and gracious, steering us to order a couple of Pig Outs, with sausages as an appetizer, thereby giving us a taste of virtually all the meats (with the exception of the beef ribs -- on my list for the next visit). Everything was excellent as everyone has reported -- brisket, pulled pork, chicken, baby back ribs, sausage -- and the sides all quite admirable. I was particularly fond of the black beans. Sweet potato fries were incredibly crisp and garnered praise from all of us. Even Toby knocked back his fair share.

Bruce took some time to talk about the art and science of barbeque, and really made us feel welcome. He mentioned as we were leaving how very grateful he is of all the support from the eGullet community (and pegged us as eGulleteers from the get-go), and I assured him it is all very well deserved!

Christopher

we are of, and for, the people.

And the beef ribs.

And the pulled pork.

And... :laugh:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

MMMmmMMM what can I say that hasn't already been said?

A coworker and I picked up lunch at FSS and brought it back to the office. I got the trio (ribs, pork and sausage with mac and cheese and coleslaw) and a Fred Flintstone (with rice and beans) to bring home for dinner. My friend got the chili, a pulled pork sandwich, sweet potato fries and a caesar salad.

I barely made a dent in the trio - everything was incredible. I think the sausage was the biggest surprise. I loved it!! Nice and spicy, great smoky flavor. Maybe the best sausage I've ever had.

Loved the cole slaw. What's in that??

My friend enjoyed all his. He ended up taking his sandwich and fries home for dinner, but not before I got to taste the fries. Even after a 20 minute car ride, and even sitting in a closed container, they were crispy and delicious. Loved the creamy insides.

I also tasted his chili. I'm getting that next time! Can't wait to go back to try the brisket and chicken too.

Brought everything home, and shared with my roomie tonite. The beef rib was great. The beans - the best!!!! The rice was good too, loaded with veggies. Still lots left for at least another meal.

I met Bruce - he couldn't have been nicer. And after all that map hoopla, he gave me the best directions from my office. :raz: (He doesn't live far from there and he drives it every day.) It was easy-peasy.

Add me to the list of Front Street fans...

After a long day at work on Friday, I decided to pay a trip, along with a coworker of mine (who is also a big BBQ fan), to the Front Street Smokehouse.

Phil introduced himself, and gave us a bit of background about the place. I told him that I had read a number of good things online, and he instantly said 'eGullet?' :)

We started off with a plate of the hot sausage appetizer - delicious, with a nice bit of barbeque dipping sauce. For entrees, we got the pulled pork platter and the beef brisket platter - both absolutely awesome. Pulled Pork was tasty, but my favorite was the brisket - juicy and packed full of flavor.

Sides were the slaw, beans, red potato salad, and the sweet potato fries. I especially liked the red cabbage slaw, and the fries were great - especially when used to sop up the remaining juice from the brisket.

All-in-all, a good dining experience. Service was great, and I definitely see a return visit in the not too distant future.

Jason

Just a few pics from todays dinner with Ejebud, BethE, Dana329 and families...also ran into John the hot dog guy and his wife...

gallery_23695_426_324400.jpg

Plate of Ribs - Pulled pork - Sausage - cole-slaw -mac-n-cheese

gallery_23695_426_187220.jpg

Eric and his Rib

gallery_23695_426_314396.jpg

The childs platter ribs and Sweet potato fries

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I'm jealous - I just mentioned in another part of the NJ site that I love sweet potato fries. Next time I'll have to come and join all of you on an outing!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

My wife and I went for a late lunch/early dinner yesterday. We ran into rooftop 1000, Eric Eisenbud, and a couple of other E-Gulleteers and their families. We also met Bruce Cain, one of the owners. Great atmosphere, great people, and great food. Lucky for me, I live only about 5 miles away. Definitely will be back soon and often.

Since this was our first time, we wanted to try everything. So between the 2 of us, we got a chance to sample all of the meats. I haven't eaten much barbecue, so I really don't have anything to compare what we had to, unless you count Tiffany's, Famous Dave's, and Charlie Browns. As you might expect, Front Street is head and shoulders above all of them. As a barbecue novice, all I can say is that everything was delicious. I particularly enjoyed the beef ribs, beef brisket, and chili. I've never had beef brisket before. Next time, I'll get the brisket sandwich with a bowl of chili. I was surprised that I preferred the beef ribs to the pork. And the chili was fantastic! All kinds of things in there. It all blended together well.

Good luck Bruce and the other owners. You have a great place here. We're lucky to have authentic barbecue in Union County, and for me, so close to home.

John the hot dog guy

I was underwhelmed. I got the 2-part combo with baby backs and sausages, which was genuine BBQ, but the flavor was nothing special. The host was great -- warm and friendly. At least on Saturday night, the 2-guitar combo was deafening, blotting out all conversation. It took me 45 minutes of wandering to get back on the Interstate, so leave a trail of breadcrumbs on the way in.

Not worth the special trip, I'm afraid.

k43, what's your baseline for good BBQ? i can understand and appreciate that you didn't think it was all that, but it would be helpful if you mentioned places that you actually like, or styles that you like, etc.

as far as 2 guitars and deafening sound, when's the next show! :laugh:

Edited by tommy (log)

k43, what's your baseline for good BBQ?  i can understand and appreciate that you didn't think it was all that, but it would be helpful if you mentioned places that you actually like, or styles that you like, etc.

as far as 2 guitars and deafening sound, when's the next show!  :laugh:

My baseline is a no-name place in Chattanooga, TN, on Dodson Avenue next to the bowling alley. It's been run by a black grandfather, father and son since the 1950s. Their ribs have a great crust and burnt ends that raise the flavor level, which Front Street didn't have. By comparison, Front Street had little pork flavor.

FS's sausages were, for me, too upper class, with too many spice notes. I prefer juicier ones with maybe one spice and the Southern amount of fat.

FS's cole slaw was very good, but again, an upper class version that called attention to too many flavors. It should be an accompaniment, not a co-star.

The FS baked beans were blah. The sugar was under control, but I want more bean flavor, with some fatback rather than lean pork.

BBQ should be a sin, not a gourmet dish. I want to pull off the meat and gnaw the marrow out of the soft ends of the bones.

Finally, I want the experience to be about the BBQ, not the music.

Edited by k43 (log)

k43, what's your baseline for good BBQ?  i can understand and appreciate that you didn't think it was all that, but it would be helpful if you mentioned places that you actually like, or styles that you like, etc.

as far as 2 guitars and deafening sound, when's the next show!  :laugh:

My baseline is a no-name place in Chattanooga, TN, on Dodson Avenue next to the bowling alley. It's been run by a black grandfather, father and son since the 1950s. Their ribs have a great crust and burnt ends that raise the flavor level, which Front Street didn't have. By comparison, Front Street had little pork flavor.

FS's sausages were, for me, too upper class, with too many spice notes. I prefer juicier ones with maybe one spice and the Southern amount of fat.

FS's cole slaw was very good, but again, an upper class version that called attention to too many flavors. It should be an accompaniment, not a co-star.

The FS baked beans were blah. The sugar was under control, but I want more bean flavor, with some fatback rather than lean pork.

BBQ should be a sin, not a gourmet dish. I want to pull off the meat and gnaw the marrow out of the soft ends of the bones.

Finally, I want the experience to be about the BBQ, not the music.

You certainly have the right to your opinion, but your description is way off. The type of BBQ you are describing doesnt really have the pork flavor you are speaking about.. Crusty ribs or burnt ends is more about the burntness, the smoke and the sauce used.. The type of BBQ that FSS has, highlights the flavors of the Pork.. As I mentioned before , if you like over sauced, over smoked BBQ then this is not the place for you..But to say this place has little "Pork Flavor" is highly inaccurate... That is unless you got the two pound beef rib.

Besides the place you described, are there any places in NYC or NJ area that you enjoy?

Edited by Daniel (log)

[

You certainly have the right to your opinion, but your description is way off. The type of BBQ you are describing doesnt really have the pork flavor you are speaking about.. Crusty ribs or burnt ends is more about the burntness, the smoke and the sauce used.. The type of BBQ that FSS has, highlights the flavors of the Pork.. As I mentioned before , if you like over sauced, over smoked BBQ then this is not the place for you..But to say this place has little "Pork Flavor" is highly inaccurate... That is unless you got the two pound beef rib.

Besides the place you described, are there any places in NYC or NJ area that you enjoy?