• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Front Street Smokehouse, Elizabeth

TMus1111

:raz: And for the record, I won't say that my dining companion agreed with me. Still, GREAT music at FSS.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

When I interrupt conversation to say "Wasn't Asia a great band?!?"

Now that's funny :raz:

I get to NJ only on occasion these days (typically only when I'm driving down to the city for a visit). I've seen no one making comparisons to other places in NYC but it sounds as though the overall quality and consistency of the meats is better than Dinosaur, R.U.B. and Blue Smoke. Is my surmise correct for those of you who've tried all these places?

Phaelon56,

I made a comparison and said that the BBQ here is better then any I have had in the city..

I have been to Daisy May's, Tenesse Mountain, Blue Smoke, Dinosaur, Bone Lick Park,Brother Jimmy's,Dallas BBQ, Virgils, Soul Fixins, Tenesse Mountain, That Texas BBQ place in Murry Hill, and Pearson's when it was opened.. Straight comparison between ribs, brisket, chicken, and beef ribs.. Front Street wins.

If I were only eating sides I would go to Blue Smoke..

Edited by Daniel (log)

I have been to Daisy May's, Tenesse Mountain, Blue Smoke, Dinosaur, Bone Lick Park,Brother Jimmy's,Dallas BBQ, Virgils, Soul Fixins, Tenesse Mountain, That Texas BBQ place in Murry Hill, and Pearson's when it was opened.. Straight comparison between ribs, brisket, chicken, and beef ribs.. Front Street wins.

i was about to offer my comparison of FSS to Blue Smoke, but i suppose i won't now. :biggrin:

i would add that "better" is certainly subjective when it comes to flavor, and "quality" might be as well. especially with something like BBQ. but FSS is really really good, as evidenced by their awards.

the food was good, but not the best i've had in tri state. 

do you mean to say that you've had better BBQ in the tri state area? i'd be curious as to what is comparable or better.

i meant to say "bbq" rather than "food." i've enjoyed other bbq in tri state area. whether or not it's better is pretty subjective. depending on the mood i'm in, i go to different places for different things. i use to like finks the best.... but given that it's no longer around, i'd say that overall i enjoy dinosaur now.

as far as favorite items at particular places.... 1) pulled pork at finks when it was around was my favorite. still haven't had any i've enjoyed as much as that. i have enjoyed virgil's pulled pork, not for authenticity, but for flavor. 2) for bbq chicken i did like stickey's. it was always crisp on the outside, moist, smokey, and had a great sauce (mojo). i'm going to have to find somewhere new though, and fronthouse tasted pretty good. 3) bbq wings i think that dinosaur bbq makes a great version. 4) ribs... i am probably, self-admittedly, a pretty bad judge of ribs. i don't really enjoy ribs other than baby back. and when i tend to get those at authentic bbq places (authentic meaning places that actually smoke their food for the entire cooking process), they are often too tough for me -- and involve a a little too much chewing - but even in those cases, the ribs do taste like baby back, and not like "spare ribs". i'm not saying that i absolutely need to have "fall off the bone" type ribs, but i do lean more towards that. my favorite ribs though are at another place that lacks any authenticity -- houston's. maybe i just like those ribs because they taste like a perfect version of the type of ribs that are made at places that aren't authentically bbq.... but at this point i may have to give up fighting it. i simply enjoy eating them more...

cornellrob, that was a very thoughtful response, and i appreciate it. between you and Daniel, it's clear to me that i have a few more places to try. in fact i'll be making a trek into NYC tomorrow for a lunch at RUB. for comparative purposes only, of course. ;)

:rolleyes: Well we finally got to FSS today. It was GREAT. Three of us shared 2 of the "Pig out Plates",ribs, chicken pulled pork and brisket. We ordered the sweet potato fries as recommmended as well as mac and cheese and slaw. We also had to try the sausage as an app. I can't wait to go back!!!!! We even took a doggie bag home since there was so much food. This place is a definite MUST GO TO place for all.

I can't wait to try this place out. I called to ask if smoking was allowed, and I assume I spoke with one of the owners who was quite lovely. He said that yes, until the deadline they allowed smoking against his better judgement..he said his partner still smokes....anyway...my question is...is the smoking bothersome? I am very sensitive to it, and can't wait for April 15th.

No, you can't really notice the smoke at all, it will not effect your meal. I'm an ex-smoker and very sensitive now as well and I couldn't smell it even though I could see people doing it. The place is very loft like and open.

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

No, you can't really notice the smoke at all, it will not effect your meal.  I'm an ex-smoker and very sensitive now as well and I couldn't smell it even though I could see people doing it. The place is very loft like and open.

-Mike

Mike, you must have gone a different time or night than we did. I found it VERY smoky, and I had to air out my clothes that night (and I'm not particularly sensitive to smoke). This close to the ban, I'd advise waiting if smoke really bothers you.

No, you can't really notice the smoke at all, it will not effect your meal.  I'm an ex-smoker and very sensitive now as well and I couldn't smell it even though I could see people doing it. The place is very loft like and open.

-Mike

Mike, you must have gone a different time or night than we did. I found it VERY smoky, and I had to air out my clothes that night (and I'm not particularly sensitive to smoke). This close to the ban, I'd advise waiting if smoke really bothers you.

Maybe yes, it was not really very crowded when we went, happy hour was just ending.

-Mike

-Mike & Andrea

I'm extremely allergic to smoke, and on my first visit to FSS, didn't notice any smoke at all (we sat a tables). My second time, we sat at the bar, and until two people a few seats away started smoking, I didn't have a problem. Of course, once they did, it was all over, and the clothes I was wearing went in a bag of their own when I got home. Even so, it wasn't so bad that I had to move--the ceilings are high, and the smell did dissipate fairly quickly.

Your call--but either way, 14 days to go!!! :biggrin:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Hi Guys!!!

Lunch on Saturday and Sunday is still fairly quiet and so, less drinkers means less smokers. We do try to steer the smoking customers to the bar area during lunch hours and thus, the smoke by the tables is keep to a minimum aided by two smoke eaters which hang in the ceiling above the bar. I am an x-smoker as well and do understand the clothing thing. I peel in the garage and dump the clothing down the basement stairs before entering the house. A somewhat difficult task at 4:00am.

See ya'll here!!!

Bruce

I can't wait to try this place out.  I called to ask if smoking was allowed, and I assume I spoke with one of the owners who was quite lovely.  He said that yes, until the deadline they allowed smoking against his better judgement..he said his partner still smokes....anyway...my question is...is the smoking bothersome?  I am very sensitive to it, and can't wait for April 15th.

I did not see anyone smoking when we were there. If they were it was not a problem.

I can't wait to try this place out.  I called to ask if smoking was allowed, and I assume I spoke with one of the owners who was quite lovely.  He said that yes, until the deadline they allowed smoking against his better judgement..he said his partner still smokes....anyway...my question is...is the smoking bothersome?  I am very sensitive to it, and can't wait for April 15th.

Yes, although other people will probably tell you "no".

I was in a few afternoons ago and took out some extremely delicious brisket for dinner along with some delicious sides, and the place was mostly empty; while I was waiting for my takeout to be ready and chatting with the outrageously nice people who own the place, two people came in and were smoking. If I had been eating there, I would have had to leave.

But the brisket and the people were fabulous indeed!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Tried to go today for lunch, got there at 2:30 and FSS was closed, arghh. I thought the place was open for lunch. There are no hours listed and no phone number either. I really like this place but this information should be available at the door. Did I miss it?

Tues thru Friday, we open at 11:30. Saturday and Sunday we open at Noon. Weekdays and Sunday, the kitchen is open till 9pm. Friday and Saturday we keep the kitchen open till 10pm. A late night bar menu (a couple of sandwiches) is available till closing. Did I mention that Phil enjoys those Friday and Saturday nights till 3am?? Come party with Phil!! :biggrin:

So to recap, the full kitchen hours are...

Tues - Thurs 11:30am-9pm

Friday 11:30am-10pm

Saturday Noon-10pm

Sunday Noon-9pm

And of course, Phil's there 'til 3am on Fri and Saturday nights!

Bruce, have I got that right? :laugh:

Going tomorrow or Wednesday for lunch with a coworker. Going to buy everything in sight and bring it home for dinner too!

Can't wait!

P.S. taking the Parkway - anything special I need to know to find the place? I know it's exit 137...and I can Mapquest from there unless anyone can tell me better...

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

Closed Monday?! Oh well.

Randi, its a long, long way from exit 137 off the GSP. I'd consider taking Route 78 exit off the Parkway and then heading east either to the NJ Turnpike or to Route 1 south. Would be much, much faster that way.

Bruce, you really should post hours and phone number on/near the door. If you have the info up I couldn't find it.

I'd consider taking Route 78 exit off the Parkway and then heading east...to the NJ Turnpike...

Yeah, THAT. Definitely that! :biggrin: Get on the Tpk SOUTH off of Rt 78E, and then you just have one exit to 13A--then you can follow Bruce's directions that you'll see upthread. VERY easy route if you go that way!

Do NOT miss the beef rib. Or the chili. Or the sweet potato fries. Or the...well, you get the idea. :raz: