• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Barbecue cravings...

loiosh

I can't believe I haven't asked this yet, but I'm getting some strong cravings for slow-cooked, smoky ribs, brisket or hot links. I need barbecue.

Does anyone know of anyplace good in Sydney or Canberra? (I'm doubtful about Canberra because I would've heard about it by now.) I heard there's a Tony Roma's (American BBQ/ribs chain), but I'd like to see if I can get something a bit better than that.

My back yard on a Sunday afternoon in Summer....

mmm meat!!

I did my shopping on Sunday and have had the following so far:

Roast Pork Rack Monday

Roast Lamb Rack Tuesday

Roasted Pork Fillet Wednesday

CHEF JOBS UPDATE - September 07 !!

Latest global Chef jobs listing and news now available!

Take a look online here:

http://www.hostec.com.au/newsletters/chef/sep07/

Shin, check the cooking forum and search. lots and lots to go on there.

Ioiosh... it's impossible to find good american bbq in sydney or melbourne. don't even think of going to the HArd rock cafe, even if you're super super desperate... do it yourself.

search the cooking forum, and check in the eGullet culinary institute.

and go buy a massive weber kettle bbq!

"Coffee and cigarettes... the breakfast of champions!"

Shin, check the cooking forum and search. lots and lots to go on there.

and go buy a massive weber kettle bbq!

I took a look at those topics and there is a lot to take in. So, to save me the time and effort, you'll just have to come BBQ shopping with me.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

And what better thing to try out on your new Weber kettle than a Wagyu brisket? I spoke to the guy at the farmers market and he said he could arrange for a whole, untrimmed brisket. If anyone is interested, I could phone up and ask for pricing.

Shalmanese - who has no barbeque and desperately want's to get invited to one...

PS: I am a guy.

And what better thing to try out on your new Weber kettle than a Wagyu brisket? I spoke to the guy at the farmers market and he said he could arrange for a whole, untrimmed brisket. If anyone is interested, I could phone up and ask for pricing.

Shalmanese - who has no barbeque and desperately want's to get invited to one...

Qantas cheap flights dude.

Or drive.

Or if you must, fly VirginBlue with their grinning mannequins who call you 'mate'.

Conversely, I've been known to lug a broken down Weber through check-in, up to Sydney, for a weekend on a North Coast beach...

Qantas cheap flights dude.

Or drive.

Or if you must, fly VirginBlue with their grinning mannequins who call you 'mate'.

Conversely, I've been known to lug a broken down Weber through check-in, up to Sydney, for a weekend on a North Coast beach...

...And Shin, better go soon on your shopping trip, because once it gets warmer, everyone will be selling current stock and no cheapies! My philosophy, is never pay full price!

...And Shin, better go soon on your shopping trip, because once it gets warmer, everyone will be selling current stock and no cheapies! My philosophy, is never pay full price!

I started looking on the weekend. It seems that some of the BBQs on offer do everything EXCEPT the humble BBQ - wok burners? deep fryers? roasting dishes? wtf? I suppose I could do with a rotisserie though - a suckling pig would look rather good on that.

I think I'll just start off with the humble Weber. That huge monster BBQ with all the bells and whistles can wait until later.

Daniel Chan aka "Shinboners"

Well, to stay on-topic :grin: a Weber Kettle is a good place to start making American style BBQ, but the purists will definitely have something to argue about.

I miss the old Barbarino's on St Kilda Rd. They made EXCELLENT RIBS.

The monster BBQ can definitely wait.