• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Attn: ALL NJ Egulleters-I need your eyes.

ejebud

Folks, I am putting a call out there for any of you guys that know of an existing restaurant that has closed AND that is available for lease. We're looking for 12-15 hundred square feet. I'm sure many of you know of that one place in town that would make a great hot dog place. the Verona deal is not dead, but I'm told by my attorney that we have "less than 50% chance of being approved. He could be wrong, but we feel it is prudent that we continue searching for a place for Plan B,

Sincereley,

eric Eisenbud

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

I was also going to mention the Taste of Asia space, though it may be a bit larger than what eric is looking for, and yes, daytime parking in that area can be tricky, unless your business has arranged use of the Museum lot.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845

People have nothing better to do than complain. Maybe they would prefer their main strip of commerce become deserted so they can have some peace and quiet. Is it the fault of commerce that these people moved next to an intersection of basically two highways? It's like those people who move next to a school and then complain that the kids make too much noise, well then why did you move there stupid.

I live in Lyndhurst and the garbage dumps are about 2 miles from my house but in the summer the whole town reeks, I'd kill a man to have it smell like bagels or hot dogs instead.

See the article on the front page of the Verona/Cedar Grove Times titled "Neighbors in 'dog' fight over restaurant proposal"

The Link

Eric

Ha neighbors don't want a Hot Dog Stand??? I'll buy it and make it a go go bar...no better yet... no liquor license... we make it a nude club byob...

What a bunch of whiney neighbors. They are protesting a hot dog place??? It's Verona... not the poconos!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck ejebud.... remember , they all protest the wal-marts coming into a neighborhood.... then they all shop at them.

Eric I thought of a spot on rt 23s next to Triangle Hofbrau in Pequannic...most recently was an offshoot of G&A Bagles...they advertised hot sandwiches so must have a ventilation system....highway frontage and plenty of parking. The space has been a few breakfasty spots but they havent done well

tracey

Edited by rooftop1000 (log)

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Eric I thought of a spot on rt 23s next to Triangle Hofbrau in Pequannic...most recently was an offshoot of G&A Bagles...they advertised hot sandwiches so must have a ventilation system....highway frontage and plenty of parking.    The space has been a few breakfasty spots but they havent done well

tracey

That spot could use a good hot dog place...it is a culinary wasteland. Nothing but chains and fast food. That highway gets a lot of traffic. The nearby chains (Panera, Baja Fresh, Saladworks, Macaroni Grill) are always packed for lunch.

May I suggest the corner of Livingston Ave & Rt 10. It used to have a bunch of small stores and I heard they always have space in that area and it's hopping during the lunch time. It's Livingston and they have openings for places all the time!

Stacey C-Anonymouze@aol.com

*Censorship ends in logical completeness when nobody is allowed to read any books except the books that nobody reads!-G. B. SHAW

JUST say NO... to CENSORSHIP*!

Also member of LinkedIn, Erexchange and DonRockwell.

Not sure if you're looking for a place in Northern NJ but i can suggest main Street in Hackensack. There is a court house nearby and is busy during lunch time. There are always storefronts available and the neighborhood could use a great hot dog joint. You'll be competing with the hot dog house, callahans, and cubbys but your products seem far superior. The downtown scene in Hackensack has been struggling to compete with the big malls nearby but I've noticed a big resurgence in good restaurants moving in. The white manna, Wondee's, miyoshi, & Villa de Colombia are nearby. The Indian Chef @ International food market is about a mile away as well. I'm sure you would do a killing during lunchtime.

May I suggest the corner of Livingston Ave & Rt 10.  It used to have a bunch of small stores and I heard they always have space in that area and it's hopping during the lunch time.  It's Livingston and they have openings for places all the time!

Have you seen what is going on there? Huge downtown rebuild with VERY high end stores. HUGE RENTS!!

Thanks for the suggestion tho.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Eric I thought of a spot on rt 23s next to Triangle Hofbrau in Pequannic...most recently was an offshoot of G&A Bagles...they advertised hot sandwiches so must have a ventilation system....highway frontage and plenty of parking.    The space has been a few breakfasty spots but they havent done well

tracey

It is too funny, I just got back from seeing that place before I ever read your post Tracy. (BTW, did you get my message?) The scoop on that place is that it is owned by the Triangle Hofbrau folks, and they said the health dept/and zoning board would never allow sit down there. She said the bagel store's demise was filthy conditions.

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

And besides, Eric, don't you want to be in a town so you can attract the 'family' traffic? Correct me if I'm wrong, but Verona seems very different from being on Rt 23!

I'm also wondering if there is affordable rent on the end of Montclair towards Bloomfield (down near Fascino); that area is juuuust starting to pop with a few more places that are more attractive.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

And besides, Eric, don't you want to be in a town so you can attract the 'family' traffic?  Correct me if I'm wrong, but Verona seems very different from being on Rt 23!

I'm also wondering if there is affordable rent on the end of Montclair towards Bloomfield (down near Fascino); that area is juuuust starting to pop with a few more places that are more attractive.

Yup Curlz, Family friendly is the descriptive of choice. Being on a highway, escalates everything including the amount of $$ it takes to get going and the risk involved. We spoke to the owner of Indigo Smoke. He is meeting a lease signer tonight on their old location--too little too late, but I know it aint over till it's over so who knows, I may get a call from him tomorrow.

The search continues!!

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

You won't be open late enough to attract the "riff-raff" after the bars close down and folks are seeking the prophylactic hangover cure in some greasy eats.

The whiney neighbor in the article is a self-centered jerk. His family doesn't eat meat and might get nauseous from the smell? So now no legitimate businesses that might be cooking meat can open anywhere near his precious home? Even the onions and garlic from the bagel shop seems to upset his sensitive system. I think he needs to send his whole family to the gastro-enterologist and get them medicated for their delicate conditions. Or move to the top of a mountain in a hermetically sealed bubble. :wacko:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

How 'bout the space that was Dmetri's on Bloomfield Avenue in Montclair?  It's small, used to be a resto, centrally located ...

HMM, is that still available? I looked at that space a while ago. I'll check back with Dimitri and the broker. They wanted alot of $$ for the business/equipment If I remember correctly, but It's worth another look. thanks,

Eric

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

Folks,  I am putting a call out there for any of you guys that know of an existing restaurant that has closed AND that is available for lease. We're looking for 12-15 hundred square feet.  I'm sure many of you know of that one place in town that would make a great hot dog place.  the Verona deal is not dead, but I'm told by my attorney that we have "less than 50% chance of being approved.  He could be wrong, but we feel it is prudent that we continue searching for a place for Plan B,

Sincereley,

eric Eisenbud

Eric, there are a few places in Nutley, specifically on Franklin Avenue that may be the size you are looking for. I don't know who you would contact, however. The former Nutley Camera just moved into a smaller, new space and it is opposite a brand new Pearle Vision Center. Municipal parking is just around the block on both sides of the street. Edited by Nutley Resident (log)

Nutley Resident

-------------------------

Proud to be American

Proud to be a Nutley Township Resident

The original Verona location would be a PERFECT spot for a hotdog joint. How can residents complain about a restaurant moving into a location where restaurants already exist in nearby locations, and in an area that is zoned for business.

If you don't like the possibility of having to smell garbage and food, don't purchase a home in a commercial area.

Unfortunately, if residents have enough money and clout, they usually get their way. This is exactly the reason why Eisenhower Parkway didn't get to go through from Eagle Rock Ave to Route 46. It cuts off in Roseland, because people protested the road going through, even though they bought homes knowing that the right-of-way for a nearby highway already existed. The people were able to supress the road, and now Passaic Avenue is a traffic nightmare.

I wish you better luck with your restaurant pursuit.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

I guess my comment relates to a few others that have been made about what I'd call 'big' locations...I just can't imagine (now don't jump me!) that local families would make a hot dog place a 'destination' trip if there are more local spots available. I'm basing this on spending lots of time with an almost-4-year-old; when we want to go out locally, we prefer to find a place we can (gasp) walk to and/or that's a really close car ride. I'm thinking of the K-Mart shopping center as an example...that just doesn't seem like a place to duck in to a local, small hot dog joint. Of course, I could be completely wrong, but that's my initial reaction.

It just seems like the Verona spot (or a similar one) is a place where a family could come in (on foot or by car), a hot dog connoisseur could make it a destination, and a bunch of t'weens could go after school to get an inexpensive bite to eat. For towns like that, I'd look to Verona, Montclair, Bloomfield, Nutley's downtown, or even Lyndhurst. My $ .02...

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Not sure of the square footage, but there is a restaurant available for lease on Northfield Avenue, West Orange, diagonally across from the Turtle Back Zoo/South Mtn Arena. It used to be Slaviskiya (sp?) Bazaar, before that it was an Italian place and before that , I think a Kenny Rogers Roasters. It had a drive through window which may be blocked off from the inside, but the drive trhough lane and outdoor window are still visible.

I'd love an alternative to McDonalds -- would a drivethrough be feasible for Amazing Hot Dog?

It just seems like the Verona spot (or a similar one) is a place where a family could come in (on foot or by car), a hot dog connoisseur could make it a destination, and a bunch of t'weens could go after school to get an inexpensive bite to eat.  For towns like that, I'd look to Verona, Montclair, Bloomfield, Nutley's downtown, or even Lyndhurst.  My $ .02...

I too think the Verona location is an ideal spot for what I want to do, Curlz.

thanks for your $.02

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85