• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Great Garlic @ GI Market!

Stopped by GI Market to visit a friend today and ran into a booth selling that Aioli Ambrosia from the Similkameen Valley-Russian Red Garlic.

In the past there's been some for sale @ roadside there-so Happy to see some here.

Very reasonable price too- a bargain at twice the price as the saying goes.

I completely agree, I bought a whole bunch last time after giving it a try. It has a delicate, sweet flavour with enough garlic in there to keep it prominent. It is heavenly when roasted and squeezed on a piece of fresh bread. I have also been slicing the large cloves thickly and using them in stir fries. Hhmmm pieces of sweet garlic the size of water chestnuts...

Stefan Posthuma

Beer - Chocolate - Cheese

After a jaunt out to Chilliwack yesterday, my mom and I came home with 3 seed bulbs of the Russian garlic. I now can't wait for July and harvest season!!

If anyone is interested in planting some, Minter's Country Garden store is selling it right now, but this is planting season for it.

• 3 weeks later...

Perfect timing! I need to buy some garlic to roast for this monday! mmmm

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

I have been enjoying the decadence of trying at least 8 varieties of Garlic's that I purchased during my first visit to the Okenogan Area.

I spent lots of time trying to find Huckleberries to no avail, but on our last day stopped at a Road side stall where they had large bags of assorted fresh garlic for sale. The vendor advised it was mostly early harvest "Russian Red".

This find certainly made up for not finding the Huckleberries. The Peaches, Nectarines and Fresh un-hulled green Walnuts we are still enjoying plus all types of Apples.

What made the whole adventure so special was all the information provided by eGulletiers, especially "Arne" for his timely posts.

The US Customs was very understanding allowing us to return from Canada with all or goodies from the trip. It was a surprise as we weren't sure if this type of foods were permitted across the border returning to Seattle.

The "Fresh Harvested Garlic" is a daily reminder of our journey as I seem to gravitate toward the Garlic Bin almost every time a meal approaches. It's still so pungent, flavorful and delicious that I have even made it into a spread with Sweet Butter, Italian Parsley, Pine Nuts, White Pepper and Parmesan Cheese that finds it way on to morning Bagels, Lunch Sandwiches and Toasted Baguette at Dinner.

The "Russian Red" that I learned about after searching the Internet is a type of Garlic that is perfect for use at Restaurants that I have not seen available commercially. [Vancouver Restaurants check it out]

The Walnuts we brought still in their outer Shell taste much better then the Husked Whole or Peeled sold regularly. They are sweet, buttery and mild, again delicious browned slightly in the oven or pan lightly sprayed with butter and used for salads.

Next fall I'm timing my trip to take advantage of the "Simikameen Valley's" Garlic Harvest. It will be more fun then the Banquets I prepared for the Gilroy, California's Garlic Festival where we served several hundred guests daily a 8 course Garlic Dinner using Garlic in every dish.

It would be fun to attempt something similar together with eGulletiers who I have been advised are all over the area for the "WINE" Hunting Season. Grapes are Grapes, but Garlic stays with you longer. Combined it takes us all to a higher level.

Bet only very few know that these a Portuguese Wine that compliments Garlic as it's petulant, sec and avoids the after effects of over indulgence. Not if we can get someone to grow the grapes in the Okenogan we could have a marriage made in heaven.

Irwin :rolleyes:

I don't say that I do. But don't let it get around that I don't.

I now use his garlic exclusively. It is truly wonderful to work with.There is something very comforting knowing this garlic was grown in our own soil so close to home and not a millon miles away ..using up expensive fossil fuels to ect etc etc

He is going to grow other things and he is very open to suggestions. I have his contact if anyone needs to get in touch with him or if he is not there his vendor person is Michelle and you can leave a msg with her..she is very helpful also.

IN FOOD, CHEF LYNN FROM ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS FOODS CAFE AND CATERING

Michelle was, indeed, at Granville Island on Saturday and I bought 6 of the largest garlic for $20. She also gave me 4 small complementary garlic, how nice.

I was tempted to buy more until the next season and she said she will know more by the end of October if she will be back in December.

I went around GI twice lookin for this stuff but what I found was that it wasn't labeled russian red garlic or anything like that. I found it under "giant purple garlic - local bc grown".

Wow. This is really good stuff...the skin is so think so it even peals easily! I roasted some and threw it in a mash...yumm. Even raw it was tastey. I'm going back for more!

I asked a vendor if they heard of a vendor that sold russian red garlic. He said "Garlic, chinese, america, whatever, it's garlic". I had to hold back my reply - which I said under my breath - "that's why you sell nuts!" :raz:

"There are two things every chef needs in the kitchen: fish sauce and duck fat" - Tony Minichiello

• 3 weeks later...
Last Day Tomorrow!!!!!!

Are you serious!?!? OMG it will be a swarming tomorrow!

I better get down there myself.

Can you get me 5 pounds and bring it by the restaurant. I will not be able to get out.

Let me know.

cheers

Neil

No luck I do work nearby but tommorow is a hectic day.

The Good News is that the Vendor is resident in Vancouver over winter.

I have PM'ed you her contact info and will do the same for anyone else who so wishes.

Fud-check your PMs.

• 1 month later...

Michelle...who is representing Tim of Windy River Acres..who has the Russian Red Garlic..has asked me to advise everyone of her phone number. She still has a supply and is keen to sell..her number is 604 787 7385. She will still be at the market but I don't know which days..and she is also selling other products for other people as well. Cheers, Lynn

IN FOOD, CHEF LYNN FROM ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS FOODS CAFE AND CATERING

Fud-check your PMs.

Thanks Sam Salmon, I got her email and will be contacting her. Also thanks for the digits those will be handy!

• 7 months later...

Our friendly Granville Island Russian Red Garlic purveyer is back with some fresh Russian Red Garlic. This stuff still has the stems attached to them. I bought two to try. I don't think this stuff keeps like our normal garlic but I find it much more mild than any garlic I've had before. You can eat this stuff raw. It's a little sweet too.

Spoke to Michelle today @ the Nat Bailey Farmer's Market where she had a booth.

Windy River will indeed be @ GIM every day this summer-fabulous news for Garlic lovers! :wub:

I bought some of Michelle's garlic at Granville Island on Tuesday. She was selling 6 for $8 or $1.50 each. What a great deal! I'm so glad you have alerted us to this, Salmon. Michelle said she'll be at Trout the odd Saturdays as well as the West End market.

What I like to do is a garlic braid. Can this be done with the Russian Reds? How does one go about doing this?