• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Thick white frosting on chocolate cake?

skyflyer3

I rarely make chocolate cakes, and when I do it's always frosted with a chocolate ganache or whipping cream. Well, one of my co-workers has asked me to bake her a chocolate cake with thick white frosting. I have a feeling this isn't like buttercream, which to me is light as opposed to thick, so is this fondant? And is there a way to make this stuff so it's creamy and vanilla tasting, as opposed to super-sickly-sweet and chalky? Thanks!

Cream cheese flavored frosting from a can happens to be a major obsession of mine, I will get help soon....

So how about a cream cheese icing or also very tasty a white chocolate french butter cream...had that on my daughters last "bakery" birthday cake...

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I covered a dark chocolate cake with Italian Silk Meringue Buttercream, using about half the butter called for? maybe a bit less. It worked out fine!

I'm afraid I didn't take any photos of it cut, but here is a pic of it before decorating. It was tasty, too, sweet but not like supermarket icing.

Good luck! :smile:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

7-minute frosting is about the same as Italian meringue.

Try THIS recipe.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

7-minute frosting is about the same as Italian meringue.

Try THIS recipe.

There also is a frosting called, among other things, ugly frosting. It's made with flour and shortening base that's cooked on top of the stove...it looks awful, thus it's name. Then, as I recall, you beat in the sugar and it whips into a lovely, heavy white frosting. I don't remember the other names for it.

I'm in the middle of a kitchen renovation (cooks and files are stacked all over the house) but I will attempt to find the recipe if you are interested.

There also is a frosting called, among other things, ugly frosting. It's made with flour and shortening base that's cooked on top of the stove...it looks awful, thus it's name.  Then, as I recall, you beat in the sugar and it whips into a lovely, heavy white frosting. I don't remember the other names for it.

"Ugly Frosting" couldn't possibly be a name for a version of the frosting which has caused such controversy on THIS thread............ :wink:

kit

"I'm bringing pastry back"

Weebl

There also is a frosting called, among other things, ugly frosting. It's made with flour and shortening base that's cooked on top of the stove...it looks awful, thus it's name.  Then, as I recall, you beat in the sugar and it whips into a lovely, heavy white frosting. I don't remember the other names for it.

"Ugly Frosting" couldn't possibly be a name for a version of the frosting which has caused such controversy on THIS thread............ :wink:

It's really ugly when the flour mixture is being cooked. But it becomes a thing of beauty as its whipped up. I may not be able to locate that recipe until I clean up. I'd be happy to post it later.