• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Fish on Rice on Kingsway?

kiero

Has anyone been there? If so, how was it? How much for AYCE at lunch or dinner? I was thinking about going with friends for a late lunch on Friday but can't find too much information aside from their address.

Where on Kingsway is it located?

Above Earls I think? I do recall seeing an ad for it in the Georgia Straight in their dining section (some "brown rice" sushi trend?).

Took me some delayed seconds to figure out what AYCE stood for too :blink:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Has anyone been there? If so, how was it? How much for AYCE at lunch or dinner? I was thinking about going with friends for a late lunch on Friday but can't find too much information aside from their address.

Do a google search.......

"fish on rice" "burnaby"

A lot of stuff will come up. Looks popular from what I saw there, guessing a lot of posts might be from the uni/college student crowd.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

I've got a pretty good appetite, but just haven't found that I get my money's worth at japanese all you can eat joints.

My favourite place only costs me about $10-$12 for lunch for fresh, beautiful sushi, and when I went with a party of 6 and ate ourselves to death for dinner, the bill only came to $120. (sashimi, sushi, chirashis, seafood udons, salads)

The quality was so far beyond what I'm used to at ayce places that I just can't see the appeal of $20 ayce.

Kaide Sushi on Richards

I hadn't gone there for a group dinner before, but last night the chef/owner really showed me what he had.

We made a pretty big order (for 6 diners) and were only 1 of 2 tables in the place. He paced the meal though instead of slamming it all out, starting with sashimi and appetizers/salads, (an off the menu item), then the chirashi, then half of the rolls we ordered. He noticed the order was large so came by to make sure we wanted to finish the rest of the order and he was right on. We dropped two of the items and finished with their amazing diablo roll (it's a fairly unique take on spicy tuna compared to most places in the city).

Noting that we had already ordered two different types of tuna sashimi, he modified the chirashi to have less tuna and feature more variety of fish, including crab liver and salmon roe.

For what is a very inexpensive sushi bar, the seafood is always very fresh and i'm consistently blown away by the quality. I've pretty much taken to ignoring the other japanese restaurants in yaletown after finding this gem not even a year ago. The atmosphere is very casual, the owner boisterious and welcoming and eating as much as you can for under $25 (after tax and tip) per person is easy.

Friends don't let friends eat crappy sushi.