• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

El Bulli 2006 Reservations

malachi

Just as a point of interest, our reservation is for a Sunday lunch at El Bulli.

Luis stated that "Sundays of April, May and June we will open for lunch and not for dinner."

PS. Can anyone remember the name (or website address) of the hotel next door?

Thanks,

Frances

Cala Montjoi - "The City of Vacations".

PS. Can anyone remember the name (or website address) of the hotel next door?

I highly recommend the Almadraba Park Hotel

http://www.almadrabapark.com/index2.html

Molto E

Ditto, although I am sure much can be said for staying directly next door in Cala Montjol. I do think that this would be less of an advantage for lunch than it would be for dinner. The Almadraba was excellent and a good base for the area. I much preferred it over the Golf Perelada.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

I believe that the 'no' phase has already ended and just 'yes' are on the way. The later in the season you asked for your table, the later you'll get an answer. So Luis, I think you're in.

At least, according to the stochastic model I'm developing.

PedroEspinosa (aka pedro)

I am completely shocked and excited! When I opened my email this morning I discovered that I just got a reservation for mid-August! Woo-hoo! It will be my first visit. :biggrin:

I'm a little nervous about going to Spain in August, but that was the only time I could possibly go in 2006. Will other restaurants (such as Rafa's) be open?

Edited by Brett Emerson (log)

Brett Emerson

My food blog: In Praise of Sardines

I am completely shocked and excited! When I opened my email this morning I discovered that I just got a reservation for mid-August! Woo-hoo! It will be my first visit.  :biggrin:

I'm a little nervous about going to Spain in August, but that was the only time I could possibly go in 2006. Will other restaurants (such as Rafa's) be open?

Roses is a beach resort. August is high season for tourists and restaurants in Roses.

Robert Buxbaum

WorldTable

Recent WorldTable posts include: comments about reporting on Michelin stars in The NY Times, the NJ proposal to ban foie gras, Michael Ruhlman's comments in blogs about the NJ proposal and Bill Buford's New Yorker article on the Food Network.

My mailbox is full. You may contact me via worldtable.com.

. . . . .

August is high season for tourists and restaurants in Roses.

And Catalonia, for that matter. Heck, for every corner of Spain. :biggrin:

High season for tourists, yes, including Spaniards, including those who run and work in restaurants, so yes, some restaurants, especially those in cities like Barcelona and Madrid, do close for some or all of August. :cool:

Wish it was August now - forgotten what it's like to be hot already...

Rafa's will be open - theoretically - remember that he only opens for the night if he gets fresh fish.

And I recommend the Cala Montjoi "City of Vacations" for an interesting and truly local time. I stayed there at the beginning of my stage. It was great walking the beach to and from the restaurant - you climb up the back path. Meals are included - nothing great but it's convenient - and the chef Pepe was also the magician - as in rabbits out of hats. Plus they have a dive center - and mini golf.

Did you know El Bulli used to have a mini-golf course on its roof? This was when they catered to mostly German tourists - grilling steaks out back.

Rafa's will be open - theoretically - remember that he only opens for the night if he gets fresh fish.

And I recommend the Cala Montjoi "City of Vacations" for an interesting and truly local time. I stayed there at the beginning of my stage. It was great walking the beach to and from the restaurant - you climb up the back path. Meals are included - nothing great but it's convenient - and the chef Pepe was also the magician - as in rabbits out of hats. Plus they have a dive center - and mini golf.

Did you know El Bulli used to have a mini-golf course on its roof? This was when they catered to mostly German tourists - grilling steaks out back.

Thanks for posting the name of the hotel Louisa.

The hotel (that the very kind and witty Docsconz suggested) looks great, but we think that just rolling across the beach to get home after a 32 course lunch sounds like a way better option, so it's the Cala Montjoi for us that night.

I'd love some feedback from anyone who's experienced lunch at El Bulli.

Is it also 32 courses? :shock:

Or do they shrink that down to a modest 27 or so? :wink:

I want to clarify that the Cala Montjoi is not a hotel - it's a family resort. It is not at all luxurious - NO A/C.

And El Bulli will serve the same menu - lunch and dinner.

Thanks Louisa. :smile:

As long as we don't have to drive somewhere afterwards we are quite happy to stay at the Cala Montjoi.

We were on the road last year and a bus almost sent us over the cliff (that was with no wine) so with wine, we'd just as soon amble across the beach to get home.

Same menu...excellent news!

We're so excited about this, (it's like winning a foodie lottery) it's all we can talk about. :smile:

To all those who are lucky to get a reservation : can I do a survey here ( for everybody's future benefit )

*Did you send your request by fax or e-mail ?

*Did you request for

1) a specific week

2) a specific month

3) any day in the season ?

Thank you - we might find out which way has the best shot .....