• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vacuum Coffee Makers

RonC

Amazon has 28 user reviews of this vac pot. It receives nearly universal praise from all of the reviewers except for one or two who appear to be unaware of the unique characteristics of vac pots. Several of the reviews were by users who had owned had mixed experiences with Bodum eSantos pots or the Starbucks Utopia (which is a rebranded eSantos).

The gist of the reviews is that it's the best electric vac pot they've ever used, seems to be well made and has corrected some of the design flaws that affect the Bodum product.

The reviews of the device are all for a ten cup version. I don't know if there's a four cup model but the four cup eSantos has a brew time that's way too short. Not as big a problem on the ten cup eSantos but even that model benefits from a small shim under one edge to increase tilt angle of the base heating element. The reviews indicate that the B & D has a stepped design for the base heating element and allows for a long enough brew time.

Apparently it does leave the heat on at a bit too high a level after brewing but IMHO you should be transferring to a thermal carafe if you're not pouring and drinking all the coffee immediately.

Thanks! Price is down to low $50s now. Guess I'll spring for one and share my opinion after a few cups.

Sidecar Ron

Amazon has 28 user reviews of this vac pot. It receives nearly universal praise form all of the reviewers except for one or two who appear to be unaware of the unique characteristics of vac pots. Several of those reviews were by users who had owned had mixed experiences with Bodum eSantos pots or the Starbucks Utopia (which is a rebranded eSantos).

The gist of the reviews is that it's the best electric vac pot they've ever used, seems to be well made and has corrected some of the design flaws that affect the Bodum product.

The reviews of the device are all for a ten cup version. I don't know if there's a four cupmodel btu the four cup eSantos has a brew time that's way too short. Not as big a problem on the ten cup eSantos but even that model benefits from a small shim under one edge to increase tilt angle of the base heating element.  The reviews indicate that the B & D has a stepped design for the base heatign element and allows for a long enough brew time.

Apparently it does leave the heat on at a bit too high a level after brewing  but IMHO you should be transferring to a thermal carafe if you're not pouring and drinking all the coffee immediately.