• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Jefferson / Hudson County

tommy

curlz:  i spent 10 minutes trying to find this online.  couldn't.  i was probably thrown off by the decidedly un-food-like title of the article.  :sad:

For those of you having trouble finding it, it's called Continental congress (sic) and the subhead is The Jefferson in Hoboken gives a presidental polish to fine Italian cuisine. It's in the Weekend insert (TGIF?), not the regular food section.

Rosie, have you been there yet, or are you still waiting for a big snowstorm and a train ride with Lou?!? :raz:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Thank you for all you support. Some of the last year and Rosie from when I had hair.  I have a Harvest wine dinner comming up in October so I would love to see you all.  MC

Ok let us know when that Harvest dinner is. I am in!

Havent been to the resturant yet.. but that will draw me in

Cheers

tracey

Better yet, get it up on the web site!!! At least give us the exact date...? :blink:

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

Had a quick bite at the bar this afternoon. Couple of apps, couple of cocktails. Brasciole & Mussels were very good. Have to say, the lady bartender is incredibly pleasant every time I've been there. I've got training tomorrow, maybe I'll come back again.

I went to The Jefferson twice. The first time, I had a teriffic meal, and posted about it. I also introduced myself to the chef, and told him I was an eGulleteer too.

I went back to The Jefferson about a week later for another dinner. I ordered the mixed antipasto appetizer, which consists of a few bowls of things, and asked if I could have a few substitutions, and they said yes. One of items I had loved the first time was the Fava Bean puree, and I requested a repeat of that.

When the tray arrived, the server pointed out what things I had gotten, and indeed one was a bowl of the green Fava Bean spread. I took my spoon and dug into it. As it entered my mouth, I realized that it was a bowl of pure wasabi (incredibly enough, they also serve raw fish which they call Italian "susci", and so they must be the only Italian restaurant in the world to have wasabi). I am asthmatic and react badly to wasabi and in any event would never eat a heaping teaspoon of it (nor would anybody else to the best of my knowledge).

The next thing I knew, gasping and choking, I jumped up from the table involuntarily, clutching my throat and gasping for air. I tried to catch somebody's eye for help, and saw the Maitre d' and another person watching me, and when they saw me look the Maitre d' came over and asked if I was okay. I said that I was not and asked if there was a hospital nearby, and he jokingly said "I'm sure there is." I was astounded by his cavalier attitude, and I told him that I had been served a large bowl of pure wasabi instead of the Fava Bean puree I had ordered, and he replied "drink some water, you'll get over it." I did eventually catch my breath, but as I am asthmatic and highly allergic (and as I never order sushi or eat wasabi), it could just as easily have been a life-threatening situation.

So I do not share the love of the Jefferson that many of you do.

Edited by markk (log)

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

We've moved quite a bit of previous discussion regarding Markk's unfortunate experience at Jefferson restaurant here:

Just Short of Going to the Emergency Room

While Markk's experience is certainly a bad one, and we feel that members should be aware of what transpired, we also wish that any extended discussion of it and similar experiences at other restaurants be contained there.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

So what is Italian “susci” anyway? Is it the same Nigri and Maki that the Japanese make with rice but called with Italian names, or is some totally different Italian preparation of raw fish involving pasta or something?

Edited by dimsum (log)

"susci" is an italian take (and most likely spelling) of "sushi". rice and raw fish. "sascimi" the same for sashimi. possibly not in italian dictionaries, but used occasionally. crudo in my experience something different yet again.

went to two italian restaurants in the past month that had wasabi as a part of their dishes. perhaps not so crazy afterall.

"susci" is an italian take (and most likely spelling) of "sushi".  rice and raw fish.  "sascimi" the same for sashimi.  possibly not in italian dictionaries, but used occasionally.  crudo in my experience something different yet again.

went to two italian restaurants in the past month that had wasabi as a part of their dishes.  perhaps not so crazy afterall.

Tom's comments should possibly have been split amoungst the two threads that Jason created earlier but since there here,

Sucsi and sascimi are the phoenetec Italian spellings of two Japanese words (as are "sushi" and "sashimi" the English versions) but they don't derive from any Italian foods by that name, just are used in Italian for the items in the "sushi" craze that has swept not just the US but a great deal of the world.

Nobody would question the condiment of a dab of wasabi with the concept of raw fish sushi in any spelling, but they probably would question serving a large portion of it as an appetizer and saying it was an Italian bean antipasto.

Nobody would question the condiment of a dab of wasabi with the concept of raw fish sushi in any spelling, but they probably would question serving a large portion of it as an appetizer and saying it was an Italian bean antipasto.

Unless you've been to The Jefferson and seen said bean puree, you can't understand. If someone described the color as wasabi green, I'd agree wholeheartedly. Oh, and it's LUSCIOUS. I haven't been there once without ordering it, even though I swear I won't each time... :wub:

Unless you've been to The Jefferson and seen said bean puree, you can't understand... I haven't been there once without ordering it, even though I swear I won't each time

You've commented on the bean puree many times before and you actually make the case for the fellow who thinks that the large serving of wasabi he got was not an accident after all:

Bean puree--how can I explain the beauty of this simple, simple amazing shmear?!?  The beans are whipped in to a hummus-like consistency with olive oil, salt and pepper, and served with fantastic (wide) slices of country bread that is toasted just to the point of almost well-done.  The combo of flavors is just pure joy.  $7 for a big bowl, and if you need extra toast, it arrives quickly.  A not-to-be-missed item.

It was his contention in one of the posts that the bean spread is such a popular appetizer (thanks to your posts perhaps) that realizing the sheer quantities which they would have to make up and keep on hand each day , versus the tiny amount of wasabi they'd need for those diners (it is an Italian restaurant) who actually ordered sushi, that it's highly unlikely that any server could mistake the containers or buckets that you serve these two green items from.

• 4 weeks later...

From Rosie's Restaurant News section :

Fans of Chef Michael Coury shouldn’t be distressed to learn that he has left the Jefferson in Hoboken. He will be executive chef at Circa, a new restaurant opening in High Bridge in early December. Check this column’s “Chefs on the Move” in late November for details.

Congratulations to Mike!

• 3 months later...

It’s been far too long since my last visit to The Jefferson, but friends who I trust have told me that the quality has remained since Chef Mike left. They're right--dinner last night was a great reminder of what a terrific place it is, and I think Mike has to share in those kudos, b/c he left a great menu and (obviously) well-trained staff when he left. Four of us met at the bar, where I started with a pomegranate Bellini, which they make with prosecco—a favorite of mine.

We sat down and almost immediately, our waiter brought out two small plates of Burrata mozzarella with grilled zucchini, basil, purple onion and olive oil. I had never heard of Burrata, but can tell you that it is creamy and gorgeous as compared to mozzarella we’re used to! A great way to start the meal, too. More details about burrata here. Then a couple of small salads of onion, roasted pepper and greens with asparagus pieces and triangles of fried Tallegio arrived. Another example of the interesting menu here. We started to look at the menu, when one of our friends said “Should we just ask the chef to keep sending stuff out? This is fun!” So we asked the waiter to check with the kitchen—with the caveat that we understood that it was Saturday night and if it couldn’t be done, we were just fine ordering off of the menu. The response was that they’d love to continue to surprise us.

What followed were more-than-reasonable portions of a terrific tasting menu:

Tortellini soup—this had pancetta, green onions and tiny meatballs similar to what you would find in Italian Wedding Soup. The cheese-filled tortellini were light and delicious as well.

Red snapper over orzo came with a lovely, light fennel and tomato sauce, and the fish was very fresh.

Then came the pasta course--fettucine w/rock shrimp, clams and mussels, again in a light tomato sauce. I don’t eat a lot of pasta, but when I do, this is how I like it—fresh and not so heavy that I’m wishing I hadn’t eaten it!

One friend had said she was not eating pasta, so she received a farro cake with a pile of sauteed ___ on top. I can’t remember what it was called, but it was described as being similar to a black kale, and that’s exactly what it looked like. Suffice it to say, it was quickly gone, and I’m told it was good. We did get to taste the farro cake, which was delicious.

Next up were huge plates perfectly med-rare NY Strip (one of the evening’s specials) slices, surrounding beet-infused mashed potatoes. Delicious.

Just as we were expecting (sugary) dessert, they put down a cheese plate with 8-10 small pieces of cheese, sliced granny smith apple, orange segments, and grapes. Wonderful, but the one complaint we had was that nobody ever told us what the cheeses were, nor were they labeled in any way. Someone commented that each one should have had a little toothpick with a flag on it. With the exception of one of them, we loved everything we tasted, but my favorites were definitely the blue and a very hard, nutty-flavored one, which was similar to a manchego.

Our final course was a long boat-like plate with four huge scoops of gelato—pear, chocolate, vanilla and cranberry, each with a quarter of a pizelle sticking out of it. The pear was exquisite, but even this non-chocolate freak has to admit that the chocolate was incredible. Fudge as gelato—that’s my best description.

Coffee was good and strong. We passed on after-dinner drinks, as we had driving ahead of us, and had already finished two bottles of a 2004 Poggiotondo "The Blend" Toscany, which worked fairly well with most of the courses (best with the pasta and steak).

I must comment on the service. It was a sheer pleasure to see wait staff working together, and we were never, and I mean never, in need of anything throughout the evening. At various times, our waiter was busy elsewhere, and runners or another waiter would bring and pour water, clear glassware, or replace silverware (done with every course). Courses were delivered by two people at a time, in some combo of our waiter, runners and/or another waiter, so we were never waiting for everyone to get their food. I wish other restaurants would take a cue (or some training) from The Jefferson in this department! The only flaw was in wine pouring, which was done consistently, but with a drip on the table almost every time, and/or a wipe of the lip of the bottle. The ‘wrist twist’ is something that can easily be taught, and should be, because the rest of the service was impeccable!

If The Jefferson was closer to where I live, I’d be there way too often--of this, I'm sure. The prices are reasonable, I love the bar (where you can eat very comfortably), the vibe and décor are appealing, and the place was still hopping--both in the dining room, where we were, and at the bar, at 11:15pm. That's one of my biggest complaints about other northern NJ restaurants (i.e. those in Montclair)--if you have a 7:30-8pm reservation, you often feel (know) that they are waiting for you to leave so they can close by 10:30 or 11pm. The trade-off of Hoboken and the issues they have, I suppose! Regardless, our friends, who had come down from Rockland County, can't wait to come back.

Cost for wine and food: $85pp before tip. View of the patio and the reminder that al fresco dining weather IS coming...priceless. :smile:

• 3 months later...

I had another wonderful dinner at The Jeff last weekend; a friend from AZ had done her research here on eG and sent me a gift certificate for my birthday. It was, needless to say, burning a hole in my pocket.

We started with pomegranate bellinis, then moved on to goat cheese and pumpkin croquettes and the braciole, which I have been 'needing' to try for far too long. Now I see why everyone raves about it! For entrees, he had the peppered tuna, and I had the veal chop. Both were delicious, but we agreed that the tuna was a tad salty. Actually, I was told "you win"--not that I had anything to do with it! :laugh: For dessert, he went with the bread pudding, which he must have any time, anywhere, and loved it. I had the MOJITO SORBET, which was heavenly, albeit far too much at that point (3 scoops and a half a pizelle). I had to ask..it's by Capogiro, which explains why it was so damn good! TONS 'O MINT, too... :wub:

Needless to say, it was another great meal at The Jeff and a reminder that even when the chef leaves, if he has trained a great staff, they can maintain the quality that was established. I still wish I lived a few blocks away, but my wallet is happier that I don't!

My only complaint (esp now that it's hot out) is that the menu was decidedly still not in gear for summer/warmer weather--hence the rather heavy meal. But we HAD to try those croquettes (yummy, but too heavy for May), and I HAD to try the braciole, so it was also our doing.

And since it's now officially summer, I'll remind you all that The Jeff has one of the loveliest patios in Northern NJ...the night we were there, the restaurant and bar were packed, but it was a tad cool to sit outside. My bet is that won't be the case this weekend!

Yup. But when I asked outright if The Jeff would be open through the summer, I was told that's the plan.

They are also opening at least one other restaurant in Hoboken. Looking forward to those 'official' announcements, but it's still a bummer, imo. :sad:

what a loss. The Jeff was outstanding, and unlike anything else in the area. It was my Lupa, as far as I was concerned.

I was talking to a NYC bartender the other day, who lives in hoboken and was probably about 24 or 26 and likely very representative of the average Hobokenite. She said she lives "in the Shipyard, where all the cool people are moving, with the pool" (yikes. in the old days, it was cool to live in a railroad back on Monroe), and that she likes the City Bistro "because it has a rooftop deck" (the cool people used to go to maxwell's and red heads and Louise and Jerry's and...). When I mentioned the Jeff, she said "oh that's horrible. I'm a real italian so I know italian food" (no, you don't, you're italian-american, and you know nothing about italian food). She did qualify that by saying that "every time I go there, they aren't serving dinner." Turns out she was going late at night, for the late-night menu, which is nothing like what they're doing during dinner service.

so yeah, that's what you're dealing with in hoboken when you open a restaurant.

Edited by tommy (log)

How long has the Jefferson been open? They always seemed to have a crowd. Is it location, or change of chef, or finances? Hoboken is a funny place. You do have the twenty something crowd, but there is also a 30-50 something crowd that is very affluent, and would keep a place like the Jeff open. I work in Hoboken quite often (I am a dog trainer/behaviorist) and see quite a lot of the demographic within my business, and it is more diverse than one would think. However, the twenty somethings do dominate a chunk of it...and, they make me feel old and they rarely laugh at my jokes :raz:

i agree that there are several demographics in hoboken, and the people in their 30-50 have quite a bit of disposable income. but, i don't notice a whole lot of them going out when compared to the 20 something set. perhaps they have kids, perhaps they go out in the city, perhaps they spend their money on travel and other things. whatever it is, if you're not winning over the 20 somethings, you're losing out on a lot of business. (i should note that my anecdote above was meant purely for entertainment, and not for any real and accurate comment on the state of the restaurant business in hoboken)

i lived in hoboken for 15 years and still have ties there. friends of mine have said the Jeff is often dead. but, that's not a very scientific survey, and i wouldn't begin to guess why're they're packing up. i'd love to know, though.

Edited by tommy (log)

When I mentioned the Jeff, she said "oh that's horrible.  I'm a real italian so I know italian food" (no, you don't, you're italian-american, and you know nothing about italian food). 

Reminds me of early days answering the phone at the Italian deli where I work. This girl called and said "Do you have any gabbadeel today?" I said something like "Say what?" She said to her co-worker on the other end, "Can you believe it, this guy doesn't know what gabbadeel is!" Then she said to me, "It's spelled cavatelli but it's pronounced gabbadeel."

There's Italian and then there's Italian.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845