• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger helper

Magus

Magus--I'm so sorry to hear about your friend, and your situation. You did a wonderful thing for him.

I'm sure you'll start again once you've had time to do some healing. You have some enthusiasm and determination, it's hard to imagine you giving up your dream completely. I hope you'll come back and let us know when you do get back to business. I'll make a trip out to Ann Arbor to help you celebrate when that happens!

I thank you all for your thoughts. I have taken my time to heal and now its back to work. Its just one of thoes things that life threw at me. The one thing that I will not and can not do...under any circumstance is to give up.

Football season starts again at the end of this month so there is no choice but to brush myself off and get back into the game...no pun intended.

The funny thing is that yesterday...I came accross a deep fryer. Not the kind you would put inside a restaurant...but a commercial outdoor deep fryer with a 60qt stock pot. I am thinking about introducing fries this year. I have not worked out the logistics yet.

I have been doing more research on fresh cut fries vs. frozen

From what I am finding out...and from what I have experienced...If you start with something...stick with it...not sure if this is the same thing or not.

Fresh fries _

Pros

Better taste

I can get a better price for them.

Cons

Quality not consistant (only being harvested once a year and must be stored...starch and sugars in the potato will change quality of product.

Labor- More labor hrs must be dedicated to washing and cutting.

More Labor for proper cooking...frying twice.

More equipment: two fryers with different temps for this process.

Space_ Proper storage of the product.

Frozen

Pros: Consistant, Less storage, Less Prep, Less Equipment,

Has the ability to taste as good as fresh cut depending on which one you buy...guy from (Shake Shack)...different french fry styles. Easier to transport, Supply is larger.

Cons...can tast bland... can taste like every other fry (which I really dont want)...

I have to make my decision in the next week or so as far as what I will do so I can prepare for it.

A balanced diet starts...with a burger for each hand...

http://nineburgers.blogspot.com/

Be part of the click!

http://twitter.com/nineburgers

Good morning Magus. I'm glad to see an update from you but so very sorry about the sad circumstances; my deepest condolences. You have cast bread upon the waters for the greater good and I know your good intentions and hard work will have you back on top in no time.

As for the fries, go with fresh in my humble opinion, for all the reasons you stated. Do you have to have two fryers for the process? Is it possible to blanch fry them in advance and hold them? I'm sure someone here far more knowledgable than me can answer that question.

Best of luck to you.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Hello All

First I would like to apologize for the lack of updates. A VERY close friend of mine (like a brother) passed away. He did not leave his family much money...so I sold alot of my assets...including my Airstream...in order to lay him to rest properly.

Needless to say this took alot out of me both emotionaly and financialy...I have no regrets in doing so. So I am getting back on my horse now and plotting my next steps. Im kinda back to square one.

I will keep you all posted.

Again...from the bottom of my heart...thank you all for your interest and input. and I WILL keep in touch.

Oh no :sad: I'm so sorry for your loss.

I just found you today and read all 16 pages during lunch. Your burgers look sooo good.

Good morning Magus. I'm glad to see an update from you but so very sorry about the sad circumstances; my deepest condolences. You have cast bread upon the waters for the greater good and I know your good intentions and hard work will have you back on top in no time.

As for the fries, go with fresh in my humble opinion, for all the reasons you stated. Do you have to have two fryers for the process? Is it possible to blanch fry them in advance and hold them? I'm sure someone here far more knowledgable than me can answer that question.

Best of luck to you.

back in my highschool days, I was a fry cook at a local burger joint. Every day, at the start of myc shift, I would punch 150-200 pounds of potatoes, one by one, by hand. They went into a big sink filled with water. Then, into a very large plastic trash can which was wheeled out to the fryers. Then, the potatoes would all be blanched and placed into plastic bins. Then, when orders for frys came in, they would get the final cook to crisp them up.

So, yeah, you can blanch them in advance. You should even be able to punch/cut them in advance of that.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Also...I am trying to determine if I will be able to keep up.

I cant say there is a demand because this will be my first time introducing them...and If I cant do a good job, then I will have to wait on the fries and just introduce something else.

Hey Magus. As one of your happy, paying customers, I'd like to give my input here: skip the fries, at least for this season. You know as well as I do that the line already moves slowly enough as it is, and the fries issue would simply complicate the issue even further. You make a great burger...don't go overboard biting off more than you (or we) can chew. Sure, we all like fries with our burger, but seriously: they're ubiquitous, and they're *not* worth making the long line that much longer.

Simplicity is its own reward. You've had a rough go of things over the past little while...come back with your strong suit. You can always add more stuff later. Be ready to deliver that which everyone has come to expect and enjoy from you, and remember why you wanted to do this in the first place: it's all about a *quality burger*, correct?

Don't try to overdo it for now. Fries just aren't that important. Really. I look forward to seeing you at the U of M/MSU game this year. And yes: I'll be wanting bacon on mine. And so will my brother.

Again. ;)

Also...I am trying to determine if I will be able to keep up.

I cant say there is a demand because this will be my first time introducing them...and If I cant do a good job, then I will have to wait on the fries and just introduce something else.

Hey Magus. As one of your happy, paying customers, I'd like to give my input here: skip the fries, at least for this season. You know as well as I do that the line already moves slowly enough as it is, and the fries issue would simply complicate the issue even further. You make a great burger...don't go overboard biting off more than you (or we) can chew. Sure, we all like fries with our burger, but seriously: they're ubiquitous, and they're *not* worth making the long line that much longer.

Simplicity is its own reward. You've had a rough go of things over the past little while...come back with your strong suit. You can always add more stuff later. Be ready to deliver that which everyone has come to expect and enjoy from you, and remember why you wanted to do this in the first place: it's all about a *quality burger*, correct?

Don't try to overdo it for now. Fries just aren't that important. Really. I look forward to seeing you at the U of M/MSU game this year. And yes: I'll be wanting bacon on mine. And so will my brother.

Again. ;)

:smile: Thank you...that made my day!

Be part of the click!

ditto what boagman said. You have a good thing going, don't mess with it right now when you've been through a rough patch. My nutritionist friend (the one who did "drive through") who visited your stand at the end of last season is already talking about getting one of your burgers in a couple of weeks. She works at the U of M cardiovascular center and limits saturated fat, but she's looking forward to one of your burgers.

I am too - we'll be there for the Illinois game!

Edited by annarborfoodie (log)

...The issue with blanching and holding.

first cutting them and soaking in water...how long can I keep them in the water.

Blanching them..Once I blanch them, do they need to be refrigerated...dont want to make anyone sick.

I will either use beef tallow or peanut oil.

You can hold chipped spuds in water, refrigerated, for a few days without any problem.

Blanched fries also last for a couple of days in the fridge, and they fry up fine from fridge temperature. Your health dept probably won't want to see them unrefrigerated for more than a couple of hours.

Before deciding on your oil, I suggest do a blind taste test on your friends and see if any can taste much difference between tallow, peanut oil and basic canola oil (especially after they add ketchup, salt etc). In a busy operation you'll be replacing your fryer oil every 2-3 days. Peanut oil costs about 40% more than canola, and I think beef tallow is more than that.

Hong Kong Dave

O que nao mata engorda.

ditto what boagman said.  You have a good thing going, don't mess with it right now when you've been through a rough patch.  My nutritionist friend (the one who did "drive through") who visited your stand at the end of last season is already talking about getting one of your burgers in a couple of weeks.  She works at the U of M cardiovascular center and limits saturated fat, but she's looking forward to one of your burgers.

I am too - we'll be there for the Illinois game!

I am looking forward to seeing you there. :biggrin:

Be part of the click!

first cutting them and soaking in water...how long can I keep them in the water.

Blanching them..Once I blanch them, do they need to be refrigerated...dont want to make anyone sick.

You can hold chipped spuds in water, refrigerated, for a few days without any problem.

Blanched fries also last for a couple of days in the fridge, and they fry up fine from fridge temperature. Your health dept probably won't want to see them unrefrigerated for more than a couple of hours.

Before deciding on your oil, I suggest do a blind taste test on your friends and see if any can taste much difference between tallow, peanut oil and basic canola oil (especially after they add ketchup, salt etc). In a busy operation you'll be replacing your fryer oil every 2-3 days. Peanut oil costs about 40% more than canola, and I think beef tallow is more than that.

This is great info!! I did not know how long I had for Fries soaking in water in the fridge..Nor did I know about how long Blanched fries lasted. I guess the only thing now is to find a good supplier of the spuds. From what I am reading...they are harvested at some point during the year and then stored...but while they are stored...the sugar content in the potato changes...which "WILL" affect the taste of the fries itself.

Be part of the click!

One more thing about fries (whenever you do start doing them, and I know you will eventually, perhaps when you open your fixed location)....

People who are ordering your burgers obviously eat meat, so beef tallow would be OK. Some may be allergic to peanuts, though, so anything fried in peanut oil would be a big no-no for them. However, you'll hit the widest audience if you go with something like canola oil (even if a vegetarian won't eat your burgers, they'll eat your fries).

One more thing about fries (whenever you do start doing them, and I know you will eventually, perhaps when you open your fixed location)....

People who are ordering your burgers obviously eat meat, so beef tallow would be OK.  Some may be allergic to peanuts, though, so anything fried in peanut oil would be a big no-no for them.  However, you'll hit the widest audience if you go with something like canola oil (even if a vegetarian won't eat your burgers, they'll eat your fries).

I thought commercial peanut oils didn't have allergen issues?

This is great info!! I did not know how long I had for Fries soaking in water in the fridge..Nor did I know about how long Blanched fries lasted. I guess the only thing now is to find a good supplier of the spuds. From what I am reading...they are harvested at some point during the year and then stored...but while they are stored...the sugar content in the potato changes...which "WILL" affect the taste of the fries itself.

Thats why Keller et al use those Sysco fries, they are consistent and, they're good.

You can find great frozen fries, no question, but I really don't think anything compares to hand cut, twice fried french fries. Especially with gravy on them. :)

Peanut oils are still a huge risk for someone with a serious food allergy, even if someone read on the internet that 'it should be fine'. In reality, you will not only lose that person as a customer, but likely their entire group as well.

It's easier and cheaper to just stick with canola. The results on average will have zero difference.

Every time I look at this thread, I want a burger.

-- Matt.

You can find great frozen fries, no question, but I really don't think anything compares to hand cut, twice fried french fries.  Especially with gravy on them.  :)

Peanut oils are still a huge risk for someone with a serious food allergy, even if someone read on the internet that 'it should be fine'.  In reality, you will not only lose that person as a customer, but likely their entire group as well.

It's easier and cheaper to just stick with canola.  The results on average will have zero difference.

Every time I look at this thread, I want a burger.

-- Matt.

Well. I will not be serving fries at the game. If I cant do it the right way at this time...it will have to wait. Also...the reason for wanting to use BT is because youngest son is alergic to Peanuts and tree nuts so...I would not want him smelling or touching the equipment...oil gets on EVERYTHING. But I do plan on adding Virginia cut bacon to the menu...and I am talking real bacon...not that BS one babysize slice of bacon alot of people hand out! :wink:

Be part of the click!

As far as the 60qt stock pot...I think I will wait until it gets colder and serve a nice soup or chili in a bowl.

Thought about deep frying wings...they take too long!

Thought about fish....still not crazy about the idea...

and I have not quite perfected my deep fried apple pie yet...so....I may have to stick with soup or chili

Be part of the click!

If you do a veggie soup or chile you will get both markets at once...then there are the chile cheeseburgers MMMmmm

T

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

As far as the 60qt stock pot...I think I will wait until it gets colder and serve a nice soup or chili in a bowl.

Thought about deep frying wings...they take too long!

Thought about fish....still not crazy about the idea...

and I have not quite perfected my deep fried apple pie yet...so....I may have to stick with soup or chili

Chili is a fantastic idea, especially for the cold Saturday afternoons later in the fall.

How were you thinking of doing the fish? Fried?

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All

Well we are two weeks into the football season.

We are now selling burgers in RECORD NUMBERS! :biggrin:

So...we are still on our grind and back in the game!

Im slowly getting my "swag" back.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement!

Be part of the click!

• 4 months later...

Well, Hello All

I am back to square one...well not exactly. I need a new name. No.9 Hamburgers just doesn’t work. I have found myself having to explain the name to many customers. Although I am glad they are interested, it takes too much time explaining it...(maybe a sign might do the trick)

I have learned soooo much this past year. I’ve learned what I’m really good at and also my limitations. I’ll keep what I am good and work on my limitations.

The city that I live in almost got rid of all of the vendors on the street with a new ordinance. This was fought but it took time to pass..which held up progress. Now that this is settled I can move ahead.

Restructuring the formation of my business entity for more protection of assets.

Purchasing company van.

Having New carts built to specs

Need to get the food out into the public on a consistent basis.

I must figure out what process I want to use to make my own burgers. This year the price of the burgers I use went up quite a bit. I don’t like this because I have no control over price and quality. So there are some logistics involved.

One of the biggest lessons that I have learned is not be so emotionally invested in this and treat it as an ongoing project.

Be part of the click!

Great news that your still moving forward. Would it be possible to work w/ a local butcher/meat shop to creat your specific grind and mix? and prepping the patties? One suggestion if your looking for a facility for yourself, might try approaching a Breakfast/lunch spot or Deli that closes after lunch and seeing if you could lease the kitchen at night for prep. They get additional income ,you get a set up space.