• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger helper

Magus

:raz: Well...it has been a LOOOOONG DAY!!

I was a rainy, windy, bone chilling, wet, messy event. BUT...I managed to take some pictures.

This burger...is what I call ...the BIG 9

gallery_20145_5329_65481.jpg

This was the first time that "I" have taken pictures of my own food...so please excuse me.

gallery_20145_5329_66.jpg

This is the same BIG 9 just from different view ponts.

gallery_20145_5329_5640.jpg

gallery_20145_5329_80125.jpg

gallery_20145_5329_71067.jpg

I have more pics but I am kind of tired right now. Enjoy the pics...and I will be checking the "e" daily. :biggrin:

Oh...one thing I found out...once you start flashing bacon...you better make sure you have enough to go around.

i just had 5 orgasms!!!

"look real nice...............wrapped up twice"

I was a rainy, windy, bone chilling, wet, messy event. BUT...I managed to take some pictures.

This was the first time that "I" have taken pictures of my own food...so please excuse me.

I have more pics but I am kind of tired right now. Enjoy the pics...and I will be checking the "e" daily. :biggrin:

Oh...one thing I found out...once you start flashing bacon...you better make sure you have enough to go around.

i just had 5 orgasms!!!

serving FLAVORGASMS since 2005 :wink:

A balanced diet starts...with a burger for each hand...

http://nineburgers.blogspot.com/

Be part of the click!

http://twitter.com/nineburgers

I'm especially partial to the Orange 'n Cream from Stewart's. They have other flavors, including root beer, but I love the orange cream stuff. Even the diet orange cream is great. Then for the really old school soda experience, there's Jarritos, available in a million flavors. Jones Soda is kind of a retro/hip brand, and always does something seasonal. Shasta pop also has kind of a nostalgic appeal for me personally, since it is a brand local to where I grew up. But I doubt it has widespread appeal or distribution.

When I was a kid, our favorite mom & pop pizza parlor always served Nehi in a bottle. Ah, the memories...

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I wonder if would worth while when you get a location to stock something like 50 different soft drinks? You've got the great burger. Having a soda that people can't get anywhere else might be another draw.

Do you offer Blue Cheese? Mix some crumbled Blue with mayo to make it spreadable? Charge a buck extra people that like it will pay it.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

I wonder if would worth while when you get a location to stock something like 50 different soft drinks? You've got the great burger. Having a soda that people can't get anywhere else might be another draw.

Do you offer Blue Cheese? Mix some crumbled Blue with mayo to make it spreadable? Charge a buck extra people that like it will pay it.

:blink: 50!! Even though it sounds great...the first thing I think of is 10 cent deposits here in Michigan, storage and the cooling...Oy! thats enough to make one meshuga! Its a crazy idea...I kinda like it :smile: but I don't know how feasible that is. I really dont like gimmicks...but then again...one can look at not having a gimmick a gimmick within itslef.

I would also have to find more than one distrib that carry the sodas I want. My time of owning a hotdog cart has taught me to NEVER rely on one distributor for any product...that is asking for trouble. I am a strong believer in being self reliant when it comes to the products I offer. This is why I like the idea of making my own sodas, you can not get that taste anywhere else but from me. With that said...yes, there will always be substitutes...but its not No.9. I have learned so much from other companies by just watching what they do as well as what they dont do. That is why I market everything under No.9...if I decide to carry or drop a product...it always has my name on it and people dont get dependant on any "outside" product just because of someone elses brand recognition.

Edited by Magus (log)

Be part of the click!

When I was a kid, our favorite mom & pop pizza parlor always served Nehi in a bottle. Ah, the memories...

I noticed your said Pizza Parlor...are you from back east?

I remember Nehi sodas...thoes were good times :smile:

Be part of the click!

i just had 5 orgasms!!!

serving FLAVORGASMS since 2005 :wink:

and it seems that you are DAMN good at it.................. :wink:

does anyone remember tahitian treat fruit punch? i used to walk to the corner store to get a can for 25 cents...................those were the days!! :rolleyes:

by the way, i'm from back east.......................washington, DC!!!

Edited by tastykimmie (log)

does anyone remember tahitian treat fruit punch? i used to walk to the corner store to get a can for 25 cents...................those were the days!! :rolleyes:

I'm also from DC, born and raised, and while the name Tahitian Treat sounds familiar tastykimmie, I can't remember whether or not I've ever had that soda. Definitely Rock Creek sodas ruled in DC back in the day, as well as RC Cola, Orange Crush, Nehi, and (not your favorite Magus :raz:) Cokes in both the original tall and short green bottles. I was especially fond of all the fruit flavors of Rock Creek and, all things being equal as far as the food was concerned, would patronize an establishment that had Rock Creek over one that did not.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

I'm also from DC, born and raised, and while the name Tahitian Treat sounds familiar tastykimmie, I can't remember whether or not I've ever had that soda. Definitely Rock Creek sodas ruled in DC back in the day, as well as RC Cola, Orange Crush, Nehi, and (not your favorite Magus :raz:) Cokes in both the original tall and short green bottles. I was especially fond of all the fruit flavors of Rock Creek and, all things being equal as far as the food was concerned, would patronize an establishment that had Rock Creek over one that did not.

i have a rock creek strawberry sitting right here on my desk at work..........

tangerine and peach are great too :smile:

I remember tahitian treat soda. The sad thing is that they have changed their formula over the years. Today...the taste is watered down...

DC...huh.....I've been through there more than a couple of times...on my way to VA Beach.

Be part of the click!

Nehi soda is still being made! http://www.sodafinder.com/ and http://www.eintown.net/nehi.cfm

Even Tab is still being made. Heh, Tab. Memories.

Thats cool that they have alot of old sodas...but these people are on crack with thoes prices :laugh:

It would be good to get alist of sodas then go from there.

Be part of the click!

i have a rock creek strawberry sitting right here on my desk at work..........

tangerine and peach are great too :smile:

Some how...Rock Creek does not ring a bell with me...*I must think haaarder*

Be part of the click!

I remember tahitian treat soda. The sad thing is that they have changed their formula over the years. Today...the taste is watered down...

DC...huh.....I've been through there more than a couple of times...on my way to VA Beach.

i knew you would remember. :biggrin:

I grew up with Shakey's Pizza Parlors and Farrell's Ice Cream Parlors. Guess the "parlor" stuck in my head even though those chains have long since faded away.

I've been a west coast kid all my life and was just being generous in my description. The place was a tiny pizza shop with just enough room for two tables and a refridgerated case for the Nehi's in a neighborhood strip mall. Everything else in the shop was counter and kitchen.

edited to add: Don't let the soda be a sticking point in your progress to getting the B&M no. 9 to open. You can always open stocked with name brands of soda while behind the scenes you develop your own. Then later on you can introduce them as your own artesinal line of sodas.

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I grew up with Shakey's Pizza Parlors and Farrell's Ice Cream Parlors. Guess the "parlor" stuck in my head even though those chains have long since faded away.

I've been a west coast kid all my life and was just being generous in my description. The place was a tiny pizza shop with just enough room for two tables and a refridgerated case for the Nehi's in a neighborhood strip mall. Everything else in the shop was counter and kitchen.

edited to add: Don't let the soda be a sticking point in your progress to getting the B&M no. 9 to open. You can always open stocked with name brands of soda while behind the scenes you develop your own. Then later on you can introduce them as your own artesinal line of sodas.

Still have plans for the B&M...I have to stay flexable...especially with this economy.

Edited by Magus (log)

Be part of the click!

Magus - I've just read this entire thread in one sitting (very quiet day at work) and I have to tell you that 4 people walked up behind me when I had the picture of your hamburger up and wanted one! They thought it was available somewhere nearby! So I guess you should add Richmond, VA to your list of future sites! I think we are all going to 5 Guys tonight for dinner, inspired by No. 9 (a pale imitation, unfortunately) :laugh: !

I have thoroughly enjoyed your journey and will keep up with this thread! Thanks so much for sharing with us!

Kim

Magus - I've just read this entire thread in one sitting (very quiet day at work) and I have to tell you that 4 people walked up behind me when I had the picture of your hamburger up and wanted one!  They thought it was available somewhere nearby!  So I guess you should add Richmond, VA to your list of future sites!  I think we are all going to 5 Guys tonight for dinner, inspired by No. 9 (a pale imitation, unfortunately)  :laugh:

I have thoroughly enjoyed your journey and will keep up with this thread!  Thanks so much for sharing with us!

Kim

Thank You for reading it. Im sure I will have alot more to say :biggrin:

Be part of the click!

After reading this topic, I had been craving a good burger for weeks. I finally made it to my favourite burger place in Japan. I noticed that their burger looks a lot like your burger, Magus. It has a homemade look to it that makes it all the more mouth-watering in anticipation. But after eating my burger, it brought up a question.

Where do you put your condiments? Do you have the customer dress his/her own burger, or do you do it? If you do it, do you put the condiments under the top bun or the bottom bun?

At this place, they use lettuce and grilled onions (there might have been tomato, too, but I can't remember) under the top bun. But then they also put the condiments (mayo and bbq sauce--though I always ask for ketchup instead) under the top bun. This makes for a slippery burger, and most of my onions always fall out (which isn't so bad, because I only like a taste of onion in my burger).

For me, the ideal burger should be bottom bun, condiments, burger, veggies, top bun. Cheese should go between the burger and veggies, but bacon should go between the condiments and burger.

Cleaner eating that way. I know burgers are messy, but I have this inner voice telling me not to be so messy when I eat (my mother ingrained good table manners in us from a very very young age).

Edited to add: Next time I go there, I'll take a picture so you can see their idea of B&M. It's a little shack next to gas station, but they do very good business (mostly take out, because they only have 6 plastic lawn chars at a very high counter--I feel like a kid whenever I eat there!). It's such a cute place, with a lot of character. And though I think you're looking for something bigger, I sometimes envision your B&M place to be like this place.

Edited by prasantrin (log)

And the dreaded thread drift blows in on the east wind...

"If your pizza is perfection, it's from Shakey's!"

The chain is forever etched in my mind with a memory from high school days.

Juniors on the honor roll and seniors at Pem-Day could leave the campus to eat lunch at nearby restaurants. The Shakey's Pizza Parlor catercorner from the University of Kansas Medical Center at 39th and Rainbow Boulevard in KCK (which now lies just west of the 39th Street restaurant strip in KCMo) had an all-you-can-eat pizza buffet on Tuesdays at lunchtime.

Some of my clever classmates figured out that if one of them bought a plate and simply passed it around from student to student, they could do the equivalent of a "dine 'n' dash" without having to steal away from the premises furtively. So I and about three or four other classmates bought plates, and while we ate our slices, the others in our party took our plates back down the line.

Apparently, the management was watching all this, and about 15 minutes into the game, the manager came around and kicked everyone who hadn't bought a plate out of the restaurant. To those of us who did pay for the buffet, he gave us a coupon good for a freebie on our next visit.

Who said honesty wasn't the best policy?

OK, thread drift over. Back to drooling over burgers topped with luscious bacon and talk of homemade soda.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Where do you put your condiments?  Do you have the customer dress his/her own burger, or do you do it?  If you do it, do you put the condiments under the top bun or the bottom bun?

For me, the ideal burger should be bottom bun, condiments, burger, veggies, top bun.  Cheese should go between the burger and veggies, but bacon should go between the condiments and burger. 

Cleaner eating that way.  I know burgers are messy, but I have this inner voice telling me not to be so messy when I eat (my mother ingrained good table manners in us from a very very young age).

Well...while it is on the griddle..I put on the cheese, Pick and grilled onions. I know what you are talking about though...condiment placement is an actual science...or at least I like to think so.

Think about this...I like toast with real butter and jam...no jelly here. society somewhat forces you to eat this kind of toast with the jam side up, but...if you think about it...your taste buds are not at the roof of your mouth. just by turning the toast upside down..with either butter or jam...it is this side that come in contact with your taste buds first...it taste alot better. So my thoughts is that I want my customers to taste the seasoned burger first, the condiments must then work themselves around to add to the beef flavor as well as the overall texture of the burger. This is one of the reasons for toasting buns in my opinion.

1. with the texture of the toasted side, the wet condiments dont soak in as fast

2. To add texture and sometimes flavor to the burger.

As far as ket and must, right now...I just let the customer put on as much or as little as they wish. In the future...the person cooking will do this.

I do plan on using lettuce...but no iceberg...I prefer Romaine because of color and texture. I dont use just everyday onions...No.9 has its own onions...cant be duplicated...worked on it for three years...well it can but it would be pretty hard. :wink:

Be part of the click!

I read this thread and was enthralled.

Just a note of caution...

I know where you're coming from, its a pride thing. I ran a restaurant for 16 years and when I first started out, I wanted to create THE BEST (of everything on the menu). In some instances, my idea of THE BEST was simple enough, but when sales increased, the logistics of this became a nightmare. Such as making various sauces in small batches - I was making "small batches" twice a day. Or skin-on fries - I was washing a half a ton of potatoes a day.

I would assume the same would go for grinding your own meat. Sounds simple enough, but it may get out of hand.

I don't want to throw a wet towel on these great ideas, I just want to say that as volume increases, it is difficult to keep it in house.

On another note, as you may see as you get further along, to be successful, you don't have to be necessarily THE BEST, but simply better than the next guy. (I know, I know, your not talking about success, but instead creating the best).

Keep us in the loop!