• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger helper

Magus

"Also...I now have a computer program that can reverse engineer any sauce or product. The only downside is that when the conversion comes out...it is for mass production. "

If you have a spare minute can you plug in Coca-Cola and let me know the reverse engineering on this...

Did you get a hold of a stealth probe which allows you to do this?

Well, I dont like Coke...More a a Pepsi kind of guy...unless its with 151, then there is no sub for coke. The tricky part is the "Natural Flavors" That could be anything. But with say...Ice cream...its lets you know the combonations of things that were used and what could be used to get the same tast. Its also based on the Nutrition Facts lable on the product.

Now it cant do like a package of cookies...but a 5gal tub of ice cream...that it can do because there is enough product there to get a good sample of a batch....but this is somthing I will use wisely....dont want to go around "tasting" like someone esle.

so wait your telling us that the this stealth probe/computer program only deals with large batches? It's dead on for a 5 gallon bucket of ice cream but not a package a cookies?

Huh?

Here's an idea use 5 boxes of cookies instead of 1!

If this is the case, go buy a whole case of 2 liters of coke!

while your at it get a few 5 gallon buckets of Heinz ketchup...and let us in on the secrets...

Magus, lets return to earth here friend...your discounting yourself with this secret computer program your telling us of and you also need to wake up and realize that soda development should be the LEAST of your worries...

just admit that the franchising idea got to your head too quickly and that the computer program is fake...

Edited by Kbear919 (log)

Ya know what would set you apart from the heard would be something as close to a soda fountain as you could get. It's all syrup (what is used in the dispensers anyway) and "sparkling" water. How many places can you think of that will mix that in front of you?

How about "phosphate sodas"? Steak & Shake maybe.

I'm not sure but I would think you could even make a diet coke this way.

I aways wondered what a Coke and mango syrup would taste like. *Runs off to Trade Mark it*

Well making soda in bottles have been discussed way up thread. This is something that has been in development for a while. Which bottles to use, Crown caps vs twist, logos and lables. That stuff was easy. Getting the final product to where I want it...now that took alot of tasting.

When it is introduced, Rootbeer and Cream soda will be the first. Getting the cola down is the hardest part.

A balanced diet starts...with a burger for each hand...

http://nineburgers.blogspot.com/

Be part of the click!

http://twitter.com/nineburgers

Ya know what would set you apart from the heard would be something as close to a soda fountain as you could get. It's all syrup (what is used in the dispensers anyway) and "sparkling" water. How many places can you think of that will mix that in front of you?

I aways wondered what a Coke and mango syrup would taste like. *Runs off to Trade Mark it*

Great idea SundaySous. I know that I'd be a loyal customer of any place that could make a proper egg cream or a great chocolate malted shake.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

"Also...I now have a computer program that can reverse engineer any sauce or product. The only downside is that when the conversion comes out...it is for mass production. "

If you have a spare minute can you plug in Coca-Cola and let me know the reverse engineering on this...

Did you get a hold of a stealth probe which allows you to do this?

Well, I dont like Coke...More a a Pepsi kind of guy...unless its with 151, then there is no sub for coke. The tricky part is the "Natural Flavors" That could be anything. But with say...Ice cream...its lets you know the combonations of things that were used and what could be used to get the same tast. Its also based on the Nutrition Facts lable on the product.

Now it cant do like a package of cookies...but a 5gal tub of ice cream...that it can do because there is enough product there to get a good sample of a batch....but this is somthing I will use wisely....dont want to go around "tasting" like someone esle.

so wait your telling us that the this stealth probe/computer program only deals with large batches? It's dead on for a 5 gallon bucket of ice cream but not a package a cookies?

Huh?

Here's an idea use 5 boxes of cookies instead of 1!

If this is the case, go buy a whole case of 2 liters of coke!

while your at it get a few 5 gallon buckets of Heinz ketchup...and let us in on the secrets...

Magus, lets return to earth here friend...your discounting yourself with this secret computer program your telling us of and you also need to wake up and realize that soda development should be the LEAST of your worries...

just admit that the franchising idea got to your head too quickly and that the computer program is fake...

Well...Kbear...Allow me to steer you in the direction of researching formulas.

Second...Coke has been around for a LONG time...do you think they are not smart enough to conceal how they do things? If you have been reading the thread...you would have found that ..."I dont care for Coke"...so why would I want to taste like them.

As far as ketchup is concerned...I dont remember ever going across town because someone had great ketchup...nuff said.

I dont believe I have discounted anything...this "my friend" is called street knowledge 101...knowing the secrets of your competiton without revealing your own. Knowledge is power...remeber that.

I may use this knowledge...I may not...but I will always have a choice....

Franchising idea...you are correct...its been in my head from day one...Read the beginnign of the thread...Building a Burger empire!!...the last time I checked...that does not mean one store :biggrin:

If you would like to beleive that the program is fake...I have no problems letting people believe what they wish.

Be part of the click!

Great idea SundaySous. I know that I'd be a loyal customer of any place that could make a proper egg cream or a great chocolate malted shake.

:wink::wink:

From a Brooklynites point of view..you need to use Fox's U-Bet Chocolate Syrup, milk and bottled pressured seltzer

But hey...what do I know form egg cream

Be part of the click!

Tripple Head milkshake/malt mixer already purchased :biggrin: ..Stainless steel cups ...purchased :biggrin:

Best ice cream to use....still searching.

Be part of the click!

so wait your saying ketchup is ketchup there is no reason to distinguish a good one from a not so good one.... Heinz has built an empire out of this...yet your discounting it...

you also mentioned that your having problems developing the cola. Maybe use the "secret" computer program to replicate PEPSI..since you don't like coke...

I'm not trying to rain on anyone parade but when "knowledge is power" and street lingo becomes involved in all this it kinda discredits all this Cooperation that has helped you get this far...

Is anyone else reading these messages raising a red flag about this secret computer program or am i on an island by myself?

Those burgers look great, Magus! About sodas, if it were me, I'd probably use a keg or some other large dispensing thing and serve the sodas fresh rather than deal with bottling. I've made beer, and bottling is kind of a pain, in my opinion, and also an additional expense considering you'd have to source bottles, etc.

Edited by plk (log)

could it be that the secret program is passed down through the masonic temple?

I've noticed you've changed your avatar...    :blush:

Because there are ladies reading this thread and because I am a gentleman..I am informing you that my conversation with you is done.

Be part of the click!

Oh, it's not hard to find a program or programs that claim they can reverse engineer food products. Just type search terms like "reverse engineer food formula" into google and there you go. No idea how well or if it works, but it's an interesting idea!

Those burgers look great, Magus! About sodas, if it were me, I'd probably use a keg or some other large dispensing thing and serve the sodas fresh rather than deal with bottling. I've made beer, and bottling is kind of a pain, in my opinion, and also an additional expense considering you'd have to source bottles, etc.

Yeah...I have arelady sourced the bottles...but like you said...it is work. Cleaning the bottles, lables..stuff like that. It all depends on the type of carbonation your using as well. I already purchased the stainless steel kegs. I plan to force carbonate at first. It's the path of least resistance.

I figure this with a seven pass cold plate will work for a while. I just need to replace the tubes on the cold plate...cleaning thoes things are a bear.

Edited by Magus (log)

Be part of the click!

In the meantime while you perfect your signature soda and since you are staying wonderfully old school, how about one or two of those vintage looking soda chests like these where you could offer a selection of bottled old school sodas? For instance I'm thinking of sodas like Nehi, RC Cola, Cheerwine, Dad's Root Beer and my favorite, Rock Creek sodas (the latter may be a regional thing actually).

BTW, I'm not trying to torture you with visions of Coca Cola; it's just that the website above had the best depictions of what I'm trying to describe. :smile:

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

In the meantime while you perfect your signature soda and since you are staying wonderfully old school, how about one or two of those vintage looking soda chests like these where you could offer a selection of bottled old school sodas? For instance I'm thinking of sodas like Nehi, RC Cola, Cheerwine, Dad's Root Beer and my favorite, Rock Creek sodas (the latter may be a regional thing actually).

BTW, I'm not trying to torture you with visions of Coca Cola; it's just that the website above had the best depictions of what I'm trying to describe. :smile:

I actually have a 1953 GE fridg that I am going to have painted in my logo red with my logo on it. This is for the B&M. I guess they both...Coke and Pepsi left a bad taste in my mouth...no pun intended. I called them both to try and find out what I could expect out of each bag in a box as far as volume goes. They did not want to help because I did not have a "location" yet. So my thought is if you dont help me now...when I am little...well...with out the foul language...I figure hey...I will go off on my own. They do so much business...I am small change to them and I'm O.K with that.

Be part of the click!

Yes, the long neck sodas are the kind I'm talking about. I grew up in DC which had and still has a lot of Southern influence, so those kind of sodas are very nostalgic to me and would seem to fit in with the tone you are trying (and definitely succeeding) to achieve.

BTW, sorry if I missed it upthread, but what is B&M? And try to keep it clean brotha'! :laugh:

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Yes, the long neck sodas are the kind I'm talking about.  I grew up in DC which had and still has a lot of Southern influence, so those kind of sodas are very nostalgic to me and would seem to fit in with the tone you are trying (and definitely succeeding) to achieve.

BTW, sorry if I missed it upthread, but what is B&M? And try to keep it clean brotha'! :laugh:

:raz: B&M=Brick and mortar...ie "traditional restaurant"

Some are trying to bring them back...Crush and Jones soda...But I like the ones down south...they were a bit beat up around the edges and the glass was thick...you can tell they have been around for a while.

I guess I just have an old soul. I like the way things were done back then. Not because its "cool" now, its just that life seemed so simple then...even though it wasn't from what I'm told and finding out. It just seems that people took pride in what ever they did. My 1953 GE fridge is a testament to that...it still runs...it still keeps cold...now its not the most energy efficient thing...but dawg gone it...it still works, and its built like a tank!

Be part of the click!

A note on sodas. I don't know if I read it here or elsewhere but you used to be able to get Pepsi in bottles from Mexico. The Pepsi itself was made with real sugar. I understand corn syrup is used now.

I didn't believe it until I had some and there was a notable difference.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

I think it would be neat to have a selection of old or unusual or locally-made bottled sodas -- my local gourmet grocery for example has a ton of weird brands and stuff I didn't even know was still made. Maybe reselling would be an even easier way to start and let you try out a few flavors and see what people like. Then doing your own root beer (or in the summer, a killer root beer float) or something like that would be easier to add on later.

so wait your saying ketchup is ketchup there is no reason to distinguish a good one from a not so good one.... Heinz has built an empire out of this...yet your discounting it...

That wasn't what he was saying at all.

What he was saying is that nobody goes to a restaurant because it offers better ketchup than the competition, while people will go somewhere for a soda that's a cut above the ordinary.

You can serve a great burger and have your customers dress it with Sysco Grade A Fancy Ketchup, and they'll still wolf it down; conversely, they will avoid the place with blah burgers and so-so fries served with Heinz. But if the latter place had a great old-fashioned soda, people might give it a shot, though they probably wouldn't visit it twice unless the burgers and fries got better.

Is anyone else reading these messages raising a red flag about this secret computer program or am i on an island by myself?

We'll drop cargo crates to you from the plane every so often.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

another suggestion for soda (if you want a collection of premium commercial sodas) is to get Dr. Pepper from the Dublin, TX bottling plant. They are still making the syrup with cane sugar, and it's available in small (8 or 10 ounce, I believe) bottles.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Annarborfoodie...THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR TAKING THE PICTURES!!!...it was a great day. I brought more food because it was homecomming and we sold out of everything by halftime!!! We were putt'in hunger pangs in a headlock on game day.

magus.....................you are SO cute!!

i wanna eat the burger and you up!!! :wub:

"look real nice...............wrapped up twice"