• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger helper

Magus

Logo looks just like its out of "Blast from the Past", very nice. I like it.

Despite what anyone else says, I'm not hot on the idea of plantanos.

You would never find something like that in the Americana era depicted by your logo/poster.

Don't confuse your image. A confused image, if remembered at all, in the consumer's conciousness, will be a confused image.

My understanding of advertising effectiveness is focus!!!!

I'd keep my focus on doing what you first proposed. Bringing the best hamburger, fries and shakes/malts that you can.

Just like you used to find almost anywhere in the 1950's in America.

Something I've been looking for ever since.

I just can't see actually "believing" in your vision, if you cloud it with something alien to the era like "plantanos".

Might as well serve foie gras, bean sprouts, granola, tapanades (sic?), and quesadillos too...

doc

I think the problem with this picture is that these people look like they have just grilled a bunch of burgers at home, which might not make them go out to your restaurant.

I think if you want to use the logo with a vintage graphic, it should be of a diner or a restaurant counter or something like that. Maybe even a drive-up hamburger place -- plop that logo on the hood of a vintage car and have a vintage car hop handing them a burger.

But I definitely think the logo fits with the graphic, just space that font out as MarketStEl suggested.

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to update.

The fun part starts:

The Trailer is found, I start construction this weekend.

Purchased a three head drink mixer for milkshakes and malts....should be here this weekend.

I will also have the ability to do smoothies but they did not have smoothies back then.... :angry:

A balanced diet starts...with a burger for each hand...

http://nineburgers.blogspot.com/

Be part of the click!

http://twitter.com/nineburgers

Well. The Milkshake mixer came in yesterday...boy did I screw up my first one with the blender. I got the three head mixer...man do I love mixing :biggrin:

I was used to making milkshakes in a blender but this is a different animal. I dont think I put the ingredents in correctly (proper order) I put the ice cream in then the flavoring then cream. It did not come out as planed but it tasted pretty good.

I gues there is also a danger in over mixing the milkshake with this machine.

Also, I have looked high and low on the internet for plain white wax cups...can not find. They all have some kind of funky design on them.

I have been doing some research on icecream as well. It sounds like Basset's is a very good icecream...I have never tried it.

It also looks like with the vanilla milkshake something else is added to it. Almost like an extra kick of vanilla flavoring.

I am also thinking about putting whipped cream on top of the milkshake with a cherry on top. I think this will seperate me from alot from other people that serve milkshakes.

Malts: this seems to come in a powder form as well as a liquid form. The powder form seem like it will have a gritty texture...I dont know...I have not tried it yet.

Would a super premium icecream be a waste in a milkshake? If so, what grade and how much butterfat and overturn should I look for?

Should I still look for wax paper cups or would styrofoam be O.K. I know I can find a plain styrofoam cup at my local GFS.

Thanks for your input.

Be part of the click!

I have been doing some research on icecream as well. It sounds like Basset's is a very good icecream...I have never tried it.

Bassett's is absolutely fantastic--one of the best ice creams anywhere. Really rich and creamy thanks to a high butterfat content, and top-quality flavorings.

If you're interested in knowing your sources, this is also an excellent excuse for you to travel to Philadelphia and sample it in its native habitat, at Bassett's stand in the Reading Terminal Market.

Did you see a Web site about the company?

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Would a super premium icecream be a waste in a milkshake? If so, what grade and how much butterfat and overturn should I look for?

Should I still look for wax paper cups or would styrofoam be O.K. I know I can find a plain styrofoam cup at my local GFS.

Thanks for your input.

I haven't seen your books or done the sums but be careful that you don't either end up with a $5 milkshake with nobody buying it (Unless you put bourbon in it or something) or a $1 milkshake with no margins and you going out of business. I think it's admirable that you want to make the best milkshake possible but is it really feasible financially for the area that you are in?

PS: I am a guy.

• 5 months later...

<music bed="Hail to the Victor Valiant">

Bumping this back up because it's football season!

Magus: Where do things stand with your permanent facility? Is it open yet, or on track to open?

And if it's not, are you still doing the game-day operation?

Let us hear from you, please!

Comments from any Michiganders who have tried his product are also welcome.

</music bed>

• 2 weeks later...

Hello One and all.

Well, No.9 is still on track. I am still doing the money saving thing...Not dealing with a bank. I am still doing the football games and selling out every game. I am happy about that. Demand has gone up by 50% from last year. This has given me a chance to think about simplicity...staying on track, staying focused. There are alot of distractions when it comes to food as far as what to offer. I just need to remember what I am here to do...make and serve a GREAT BURGER! I just wanted to give everyone a heads up. I have even resulted to selling t-shirts to raise money to open the store. I wont give up and everyone here has been a great help and inspiration.

Talk to everyone soon.

send me an email...I would like to know how everyone is doing. :biggrin:

Even though I am very busy...I miss talking to everyone here.

Be part of the click!

send me an email...I would like to know how everyone is doing.  :biggrin:

Even though I am very busy...I miss talking to everyone here.

Done! Glad to hear that you're still focused on your goal and working towards it, and that your reputation is spreading among the fans.

And be sure to invite us all to the grand opening! :smile:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
any new update?!?! im dying to hear!

what ratios % are you using for your burgers? Chuck brisket etc...

Well Hello everyone. :biggrin: I am still working on some of the fine details. I have chosen a name "Burger Joint No.9" I am still working on the blend...getting it just right. I am still thinking about fries. dont know which way to go. Fries are not something that keeps for very long. I was thinking about fresh chips. If I cook chips...the chips being hot is a plus...especally when properly salted, but if the chips are cold...well everyone is expecting chips to be cold. I am also working out logistics of scheduling, who needs to do what and when. Meanwhile...I am still hustling to make the money to open.

Just wanted to give an update.

Oh yeah...I am also building my website (NO flash) in which I want to mention this group because you all have helped me so much through this process.

I will be checking in.

Also...If anyone has any fund raising ideas I am more than happy to hear them... the more money I raise the faster I can open.

Be part of the click!

Good luck...sounds like you are living the dream :biggrin:

I didn't have the time or inclination to read the entire thread...but it sounds like you are right on track.

Did you figure out the fry situation? I actually think that there are some frozen bagged fries that are pretty damn tasty--remember that a good frozen fry is better than a mediocre hand cut fry.

I am very interested in hearing about your ingredient selection, if you are considering seasonality issues, etc...

Again, good luck. Keep us posted as much as your busy schedule allows for you to.

any new update?!?! im dying to hear!

what ratios % are you using for your burgers? Chuck brisket etc...

Well Hello everyone. :biggrin: I am still working on some of the fine details. I have chosen a name "Burger Joint No.9" I am still working on the blend...getting it just right. I am still thinking about fries. dont know which way to go. Fries are not something that keeps for very long. I was thinking about fresh chips. If I cook chips...the chips being hot is a plus...especally when properly salted, but if the chips are cold...well everyone is expecting chips to be cold. I am also working out logistics of scheduling, who needs to do what and when. Meanwhile...I am still hustling to make the money to open.

Just wanted to give an update.

Oh yeah...I am also building my website (NO flash) in which I want to mention this group because you all have helped me so much through this process.

I will be checking in.

Also...If anyone has any fund raising ideas I am more than happy to hear them... the more money I raise the faster I can open.

After reading this thread in one night, I have two contributions to make.

1. If you live in a college town, experience says that the bar crowd market is enormous. Perhaps you should stay open until an hour or two after bar time? Or maybe you could set up your game day stand on the street on weekends to raise the money you need.

2. I grew up in the town of Marshfield, Wisconsin which has had a pretty dead restaurant scene. But a couple years ago, a Starbucks and a Coffee Cabin opened up literally side-by-side. What's a Coffee Cabin? It's a Fleet Farm-variety garden shed in an old parking lot. This guy operates a coffee drive-through from it and makes really decent coffee. The Starbucks went out of business. Let this be inspiration for you.

(3. When you open, I'll drive all the way from Madison, Wisconsin to eat one of your burgers.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Hello Everyone!! :biggrin:

Sorry I have not been checking lately...I will put it on my list of must do's during the day. BREAKING NEWS!! I have found a place...not a trailer but an actual place!

This brings new issues. The place can be set up for a DRIVE THRU!!! This is an option that I have not thought of...AT ALL! I can also set it up as a walk up. The issue is: with a drive thru...this brings up a different set of logistics. With a drive thru...people already have a preconceived notion that it shold be fast...well...my aim is to slow people down a bit.

With this option...I have been plugging away of how to produce a great product even faster than I have been before. This is not easy...especially if I want it to be consistant.

If I go with the walk up option, then peopel must get out of their cars or I would need car-hops to go take orders. If this is going to be a year round opperation, then that can get tricky.

What are your thoughts...drive thru or walk up? :huh:

Be part of the click!

Drive-thru or walk-up? There are good examples of successful walk-up burger places like Jake's and 5-Guys in the DE/MD region and I'm sure elsewhere.

But, no doubt that walk-up eliminates some customers while drive thru has added staffing and cooking issues.

Forgetting for a minute the food issues, I'd focus first on the suitability of the location for either drive-thru or walk-up.

What are the other places in the immediate area like? How's the parking? How's the safety? Traffic? both foot and car

Drive-thru or walk-up?  There are good examples of successful walk-up burger places like Jake's and 5-Guys in the DE/MD region and I'm sure elsewhere.

But, no doubt that walk-up eliminates some customers while drive thru has added staffing and cooking issues.

Forgetting for a minute the food issues, I'd focus first on the suitability of the location for either drive-thru or walk-up.

What are the other places in the immediate area like?  How's the parking?  How's the safety?  Traffic? both foot and car

It can work either way.

10,000 cars pass on that street in a day

I have alot of parking

The safety is great

Foot traffic is not so good.

When I speak of walk up...meaning people drive to the location to walk up to the window.

Be part of the click!

Maybe you can make the drive through as a pickup option; some of the chains do it (like Chevy's or Applebees;no pickup window though). Order ahaead (fax/internet/phone) and have it ready for pickup at the window.

You could do it like Culver's (burger chain that is moving in across I-94 - I think the closest one to Ann Arbor is in Jackson). You place your order, then pay at the window, they give you a number tent, and you pull ahead to a waiting area along the curb. They then bring your food out to you (it usually takes a few minutes).

so honestly 15,000 cars per day?

looking at a 14 hr day....YES people in college towns sleep...

were talking 8am-10pm here thats almost 1,100 cars per hour... 18 cars per minute!?!?

are we talking abut real life here? or setting up a tent on the side of a highway?

Yes, the numbers are correct. dont know if this is bad or good but if I can get 1% of that number...I will be a great shape. Although the numbers are from 2003 and there has been an increase in my area, I will stick with the lower number

Be part of the click!

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Finalizing menu:

Fries: still looking for a good source of potatoes :blink:

Having fun with the health department :hmmm:

Getting ready for football season.

If anyone is in the Ann Arbor Michigan Area during football Saturdays, No.9 will have a stand at the corner of Hoover and Divison...a block away form the stadium.

Drive thru...I am still playing with this idea...I have not made any decisions on that as of yet.

Delivery: Something that I did not think about before but something I need to think about now. The only thing I need to figure out is how to pay them. I dont want to act strange with the change when it comes to paying people well.

Be part of the click!