• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Burger helper

Magus

Like the number nine I want my food of my establishment to be like no other. The number 9 is the only number that if you multiply it by any number, the sum of thoes numbers is 9. i.e 9x54=486, 4+8+6=18 1+8=9. I want my food to be somthing special, thats why I am digging for feedback, I want to be the best at what I do.

I gotta tell you that I really don't even care if your restaurant is a success, I'm just blown away by that #9 thing :raz: It really does work!

This name stuff is reminding me of a SNL skit with Nicolas Cage in which he shoots down every name his wife suggests because he can turn them into something that will get the kid teased -- the joke being that any name can be changed in that way. Magus/maggot, McGirt/dirt, burger/booger....

I like Brooklyn Burger, Magus Burger, and McGirt's Burgers, all three. Pick 'em.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Drink issues.

I am trying to decide which is best...Styrofoam or "$tarbucks" like clear plastic cup.

I know where to get each one from but here is the issue.

Milkshakes and other softdrinks will keep colder longer in Styrofoam cups.

They will be cheaper than the clear plastic cups.

The marketing (logo) will stay consistant no matter what I put in it.

Clear cups...

A milkshake will look great in a clear cup, especialy when using whipped cream and cherries on top.

Hand squeezed lemonade looks better.

Soda Looks better.

Plastic allows the hand to get cold when holding it, but it also has a better chance of "cup condensation" which could be appealing as well.

Also, I dont think they had Syrofoam cups in the 40's 50's or 60's but I could be wrong.

Then again, I was thinking about going with a kind of cup that people will want to keep. This way, the logo can stay with them for a while instead of them throwing it out.

Your thoughts?

Edited by Magus (log)

A balanced diet starts...with a burger for each hand...

http://nineburgers.blogspot.com/

Be part of the click!

http://twitter.com/nineburgers

Supplies are expensive. I would go cheap.

In the 50's/60's/70's most burger chains used paper cups with wax. I don't think you can get that anymore, styrofoam is the cheapest vending cup now I beleive.

You can, however, get stuff like this:

http://www.printglobe.com/Products/Product...CFRkpGgodiiXgtA

If you can, I would be eco-conscious and use recycled material. Styrofoam really isnt eco-conscious.

EDIT: The wax paper stuff apparently is still produced, by Sweetheart (Solocup):

http://www.foodservicedirect.com/index.cfm...Coated_Cups.htm

http://www.solocup.com/

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

For me, milkshakes just taste better in styrofoam. Of course, they taste best in a thick glass cup but the scratching of the straw on the styrofoam surface and the chewing off the lip of the cup after your done. I just can't imagine a milkshake in plastic, it seems wrong.

PS: I am a guy.

If money was no object, I'd say go Starbucks-y: Pair a clear plastic cup with one of their cardboard sleeves. Instead of the sleeve protecting customers from hot coffee, it would protect them from a cold shake.

However, I'm guessing that wouldn't be cheap. I do like the paper cup idea over styrofoam, but that could be just because I am no fan of styrofoam.

Shalmanese makes a good point when he talks about taste. Perhaps getting a few of each type of cup and tasting your shakes in them would be a better approach than trying to figure out what looks better. In addition to telling how they taste, you could judge how cold the cup gets and how long the shake holds it shape.

Tammy Olson aka "TPO"

The Practical Pantry

I feel that I am at a conundrum at this point. Instead of thinking only in the hear and now, I started thinking about the future. I know what I “want” to do...as far as the business is concerned...now the feasibility of what I want to do sets in.

Burgers...no problem...They will be of great quality, fresh and never frozen. That is something I can do now and sustain in the future.

Condiments: total quality, now and in the future.

Buns....well I would like to make my own buns. I like the way they taste, I like the appearance, the weight...the whole nine...(no pun intended) . But...and there is always a but. I would have to train someone to make these buns, They have to be made every day because there aren’t any preservatives, there is also a space and equipment limitation at this point.

I figured that this is something that can be added later on in the game. I feel that it is best to improve on a great product than to take something away.

Milkshakes...The sky is the limit. Hand dipped, Quality ingredients, Something that can be done great at the outset and can be improved upon.

Onion rings. Big thick onion rings, Fresh...no frozen...nuff said.

Now for the fries....This is where my the dream clashed with reality. My stand will be roughly 14x9. Even though I will have a fryer...unless I can figure something out there is no possible way that I will be able to

1.store potatoes

2. wash potatoes

3.soak potatoes (leave soaking in fridge will require a bigger refrigerator...maybe)

4 fry the fries letting them drain

5 then frying them again when ordered.

Right now, it is not looking good for fresh cut fries....but I am still fighting to figure out the fry dilemma. Not giving up....so don’t freak.

My only issue is how is this sustainable “if” I get bigger

Compared to the fries...everything else is a walk in the park.

Be part of the click!

Tater Tots with chili. Cheese Whiz. Guacamole and salsa and sour cream. Bacon bits and sour cream and scallions. The skies are unlimited. If you can't get good french fries, utilize your deep fryer and do something interesting other than French Fries. I bet nobody else in your area is doing something interesting with Tots.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Another possibility besides french fries is to find a really good potato chip supplier who will sell you bags of interesting chips. Especially a local brand. Thick cut, dark russet kettle chips of some sort. Then you can make an interesting dip to go with the chips.

Heck, you could even get some plantains and do fried plantain chips too. Freshly fried they are awesome and much less maintenance than having to prep french fries and a lot more interesting than frozen Sysco fries. Personally I think when salted and peppered, platanos chips are even better than french fries. Do something interesting nobody else is doing. Theres lots of other things that are easier to deal with than French Fries.

I feel that I am at a conundrum at this point. Instead of thinking only in the hear and now, I started thinking about the future. I know what I “want” to do...as far as the business is concerned...now the feasibility of what I want to do sets in.

Burgers...no problem...They will be of great quality, fresh and never frozen. That is something I can do now and sustain in the future.

Condiments: total quality, now and in the future.

Buns....well I would like to make my own buns. I like the way they taste, I like the appearance, the weight...the whole nine...(no pun intended) . But...and there is always a but. I would have to train someone to make these buns, They have to be made every day because there aren’t any preservatives, there is also a space and equipment limitation at this point.

I figured that this is something that can be added later on in the game. I feel that it is best to improve on a great product than to take something away.

Milkshakes...The sky is the limit. Hand dipped, Quality ingredients,  Something that can be done great at the outset and can be improved upon.

Onion rings. Big thick onion rings, Fresh...no frozen...nuff said. 

Now for the fries....This is where my the dream clashed with reality. My stand will be roughly 14x9. Even though I will have a fryer...unless I can figure something out there is no possible way that I will be able to

1.store potatoes

2. wash potatoes

3.soak potatoes  (leave soaking in fridge will require a bigger refrigerator...maybe)

4 fry the fries letting them drain

5 then frying them again when ordered.

Right now, it is not looking good for fresh cut fries....but I am still fighting to figure out the fry dilemma.  Not giving up....so don’t freak.

My only issue is how is this sustainable “if” I get bigger

Compared to the fries...everything else is a walk in the park.

I think that you should focus on first doing one thing really really well and the rest just okay to start off with. The key is to have a hook so people can go "Hey, have you checked out the No 9? They have awesome X". Having GREAT burgers and ok fries will get you say, 100 customers a day, having great burgers AND great fries might get you 140 customers and having great burgers AND great fries AND great milkshakes might get you 160 customers. From what I understand, the competition there is rather sparse and amatuer so as long as it's not offensively bad, nobodys going to avoid your place merely because you have merely adequate fries.

The other thing is that you should be afraid of overextending yourself to start off with. If your forced to cut back on the quality of your food, due to time or labour constraints, then it's worse than if you just started off worse. I know I would get pretty pissed off if I went around for a week telling people how awesome the fries are at No 9 and then go the next time with friends and find out they replaced them with Sysco chips or to find out theyre now twice as expensive since you underestimated the labour costs. OTOH, going for a great burger and then suddenly finding phenomenal fries for the same price as the previously okay fries would be something that would make my day.

It sounds like your on a good thing with your burger. My vote is to start off with the burgers, and then gradually build up everything else from there.

PS: I am a guy.

Another possibility besides french fries is to find a really good potato chip supplier who will sell you bags of interesting chips. Especially a local brand. Thick cut, dark russet kettle chips of some sort. Then you can make an interesting dip to go with the chips.

Heck, you could even get some plantains and do fried plantain chips too. Freshly fried they are awesome and much less maintenance than having to prep french fries and a lot more interesting than frozen Sysco fries. Personally I think when salted and peppered, platanos chips are even better than french fries. Do something interesting nobody else is doing. Theres lots of other things that are easier to deal with than French Fries.

Well I can do platanos, That is a staple in my home already, and NOBODY does platanos here. Great Idea Jason. I also make a great mustardbase garlic sauce to go with them. Thoes things are like crack.

Be part of the click!

Well I can do platanos, That is a staple in my home already, and NOBODY does platanos here. Great Idea Jason. I also make a great mustardbase garlic sauce to go with them. Thoes things are like crack.

Latino food is hot right now. No doubt about it. I'd totally get those with the burgers -- and you can even offer a latino-style topping on the burgers to go with them -- maybe a fresh salsa with sliced avocado. You could call it the "El Numero Nueve" as sort of a riff on your brand.

Well, I have been thinking about it and both Jason and Shalmanese are correct.

I AM going to be different. I figured out the potatoe thing,

I figure I have to see this thing through and have fresh french fries. I figure two 5 gallon buckets of fries wont be a majore issue. Instead of me storing them. I'll have to keep a small stock of potatoes (a couple of days supply) and have my supplier hold the rest. No one in my area has "fresh cut fries" so that alone will make me different.

As far as the platanos...GREAT IDEA!!

Fresh cut fries, onion rings and platanos... Prep work should be about the same.

If I get that big, I can just hire someone that is just dedicated to fries. I wont worry about it now.

If I have to cut the fries myself to build a good rep then thats what needs to be done.

Be part of the click!

I'm sure it will be worth the effort, Magus! And I'm sure if you make an order of platanos and leave them out to sample you'll get plenty of orders. Freshly fried platanos are incredibly hard to resist.

• 3 weeks later...

O.K dont shoot me. I was playing around with some ideas.

gallery_20145_1872_25067.jpg

What da ya think.

Or I could go with the vintange look of the logo but have an up to date feel.

Edited by Magus (log)

Be part of the click!

I'd stick with just the logo. What's the purpose of this particular graphic, a poster?

I think it definitely evokes that time period, but not necessarily that aesthetic. That looks like something out of an adverisement from Life Magazine or Better Homes and Gardens circa 1960.

Magus, have a look at some of these pages:

http://www.mcdonalds.com/corp/news/media/m...ical/other.html

http://theimaginaryworld.com/fastfd.html

I'd also look at 1950's-1960's Coca Cola ads for inspiration as well.

http://7xpub.com/coke/pix/

O.K dont shoot me. I was playing around with some ideas.

[image snipped]

What da ya think.

Or I could go with the vintange look of the logo but have an up to date feel.

Whipped up after our e-mail exchange, I guess?

Yeah, the illustration is all wrong for the concept, but I see where you're going with this.

Typeface is in the neighborhood, but you probably want something a little wider and more open-looking.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3