• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rosemead Dining Room

James Kendal

I attended a Gray Monk wine dinner last night at the Rosemeade Dining room.

I had avoided the property for quite a while and was pleasantly surprised last night.

I wasn't sure what to make of the hotel and the entrance is a little confusing (I came in through the back door) but to my pleasant surprise the dining room and the lay out, once inside is quite something. Overall the restaurant and hotel is seeminly mixed loungy/nightclubby. The contrast between the historic house and the very sexy modern fixtures works nicely. The food was very good and the service brigade had a lot of enthusiasm. It would be nice to see table linen on the tables which, in my opinion, would brighten the room up a touch. With a bit of tweaking this could be the in spot for victoria.

Of course your probably wondering what I ate... all I know is that the food was excellent. That is my only problem with wine dinners, I never take notes and after 5 courses and x amount of wine I stop recording mental notes about the food. When I left the dinner I walked away with the notion that I would be back sooner rather than later.

We are going back to the Rosemeade in October for the Winchester Cellars wine dinner. Ken Winchester promises to bring out some of his private reserve and that Pinot Noir of his is exquisite and he has some new tricks up his sleeves which we've already been privy to at the winery. If any of you Vancouver-ites can score a ticket to this dinner, I highly recommend you make the trip over.

The food Richard Luttman cooks at the Rosemeade is sublime. Th decor is so chic and if you can ever score a tour of the kitchen you won't believe it - I', hoping the chef's table in the corner of the kitchen will be open soon.

So glad you went James.

I would love to here more about the dinner and the pairings. I went to Vintropolis for a Gray Monk wine tasting this afternoon and I was suprisingly impressed with the Pinot Noir. I say suprisingly because I have been a devotee of their Pinot Gris - both of the Pinot Gris', but never thought much of their reds. Tasting now, with older vines and some time in the bottle, the 2003 was very fresh, lively and smooth. Flavours of ripe cherry and raspberry rang through the finish. I believe the price point is around $14.50 and available at most VQA stores. Worth a try!

Edited by Vancitygirl (log)

Gastronomista

The standout from Gray Monk was their Pinot Blanc (creamy textured, green apple hints, balanced acid, good mouth feel).

The Oddyssy (sic) Pinot Gris was very polished (this is one that I kept grabbing the bottle to top up my glass and that is when my memory shut down and I just enjoyed the rest of the night and the food).

They had a small production cab sav which was pretty decent but the price point at $33.95 was tough when comparing it to Kettle Valley and Burrowing Owl cabs.