• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vienna: two nights - where to eat?

Nyleve Baar

I know, I know - two nights. That's all we have. We'll be passing through Vienna on the way home from Turkey and would love some suggestions for inexpensive (I know it's not cheap there, but you know what I mean) and delicious Viennese food. Any kind. We'll be staying in a pension on Postgasse 14 (all I know is that it's in the old part of the city, near Stephens Dom). Would love walking-distance or easily accessible by public transport destinations. Not really interested in high-end dining, and not intimidated by local, um, colour.

Thanks!

Figlmueller for superb schnitzel! :wink:

When in Vienna do as the Viennese do and indulge in Wiener Schnitzel, the delicacy most associated with the romantic city. Reputed to serve the biggest and best schnitzel is Figlmuller’s, next door to St Stephen’s Cathedral, a wine tavern where the long tables are always packed with hungry customers sampling the golden-brown schnitzels, that overhang the plate.

Address: Wollzeile 5 (St Stephansplatz);

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Do you think reservations are necessary there? Or can we just show up? It will be early November - a weeknight, actually.

Willkommen bei der Online-Reservierung von figlmueller.at!

Bitte beachten Sie, dass Onlinereservierungen nur 48 Stunden im vorhinein berücksichtigt werden können.

Bitte nehmen Sie mittels angefügtem Formular Ihre Reservierung vor.

I am not certain what this actually means (from their website) but it does appear that they are popular enough to offer reservations ...

Figlmüller is famous for huge schnitzels (pork, not veal, which disqualifies them from the title "Wiener Schnitzel", I add). It is by no means famous for good schnitzels.

Inexpensive and good: Hedrich on the Stubenring. A 10-minute walk, I would guess.

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

Do you think reservations are necessary there? Or can we just show up? It will be early November - a weeknight, actually.

Willkommen bei der Online-Reservierung von figlmueller.at!

Bitte beachten Sie, dass Onlinereservierungen nur 48 Stunden im vorhinein berücksichtigt werden können.

Bitte nehmen Sie mittels angefügtem Formular Ihre Reservierung vor.

I am not certain what this actually means (from their website) but it does appear that they are popular enough to offer reservations ...

Translation:

Please note that online reservations can be taken into consideration only if made (within) 48 hours in advance of the requested reservation time.

Please make your reservation by means of the attached form.

Seeing as they also give a phone number on the web page, and they don't give a time limit there about when the reservation should be made, it would probably be easier to phone in a reservation.

Figlmüller is famous for huge schnitzels (pork, not veal, which disqualifies them from the title "Wiener Schnitzel", I add).  It is by no means famous for good schnitzels.

Inexpensive and good: Hedrich on the Stubenring.  A 10-minute walk, I would guess.

Sounds great. I see you're in Vienna. Any other must-eats? We are not looking for high end - lots of local character is more like it. Market? Shopping?

AcK I only have one day - how tragic!

Market? The Naschmarkt is one of Europe's most impressive food markets. Definitely worth a look. Take the U4 at Schwedenplatz (just a minute or two from where you are staying) to the Kettenbrückengasse station (another five minutes or so), then walk back towards the centre of the city.

Shopping? What are you looking for?

Charles Milton Ling

Vienna, Austria

Shopping?  What are you looking for?

Oh I don't know. I'm sure I won't be looking for anything in particular - I just love typical city marketplaces, shopping streets, that kind of thing. I love to see what people are buying and get the pulse of a place. Museums and cathedrals are all quite lovely, but I find the daily life of people much more fascinating.

Just thought there might be some particular street or area that is worth a stroll with that in mind.

Edited by Nyleve Baar (log)

Just thought there might be some particular street or area that is worth a stroll with that in mind.

Narrow cobbled streets, beautiful arcades and hidden alleyways all combine to give an impressive array of stylish boutiques and designer shops, with the pedestrianized areas of Kärntner Straße and the Graben serving as the destination of choice for those in need of serious retail therapy!
the source for the quote above

My friend and I went shopping and found marvelous porcelains and gifts to bring home! Incredible crystal as well ...

more and more shopping here as well ...

Fabulous! Thank you!

Since we're only going to be there for such a short time, I haven't invested in a guidebook to the city so that's why I'm so clueless. I'll pick up a street map when we get there, and anything free from the tourist office but that's it.

• 4 weeks later...

I just had a really nice meal at Schimanszky (Biberstrasse 2).

The restaurant serves traditional Vienneese dishes in an informal atmosphere, and they have an English-language menu. It's mushroom season, and chanterelles are on many of the dishes. Appetizers were a cream of mushroom soup and a warm salad with chanterelles. Entrees were venison goulash with spatzle and veal filets on pasta with chanterelles. We shared a dessert of potato dumplings with a poppy-seed sauce.

We had an aperitif of local sparkling wine (half reisling and half gruner veltliner) and a glass of something I can't remember.

A fine meal at something like 40 euros a person, including all the wine.