• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Quiet but nice eastside restaurant?

Hi,

A close friend is celebrating her birthday today. However, she also recently gave birth to a baby. We want to take her out to dinner (about 10 of us) but also want to try and go to a place that will be somewhat quiet (the baby tends to get agitated if we go to very noisy places).

Also, she lives in Bellevue downtown and we want to stick to the eastside so she won't get too late getting back home! I was trying to think of a place that'd keep us foodies reasonably happy and still fit all of the above criterion (quiet, eastside) but came up with nothing so far :(.

Any ideas? All help is much appreciated.

thanks,

w@w

I really enjoyed my one visit to Bis on Main.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Call ahead for Bis. It is a really good place. Owner does not love kids so be aware. Very interesting guy indeed. If I could twist your arm in making the short jaunt to Duvall Cafe that would be OK. I am not sure if a lot of the foodies know about that place for dinner. They have a young NY chef who should be downtown. Very cool, casual place with good wine. A real needle in the haystack find.

Hi All,

Thanks so much for all your recommendations. We did end up making a reservation and going to Bis on Main. We had a wonderful time and the food was great as well. My friend was absolutely delighted... the baby behaved beautifully through the whole evening and she could really take her mind off for a bit and catch up with friends (which is exactly what I was hoping for).

I did think about going to the Barking Frog instead but was worried it might seem too far if the baby did become unhappy or sleepy during the meal :(. Abra, Pogacha is still really wonderful (love the Chicken Do-bar!!!) but we go there very often when we visit this particular friend and consequently, I thought it may not feel 'special' enough..

She knows there's a secret internet community I get all my restaurant recommendations from :) and she especially asked me to thank all of you :).

-w@w

p.s. Btw, her baby is almost 3 months old now and looked distinctly edible in her new winter clothes.. like cotton candy almost :o.

Glad you enjoyed your meal. Can you tell us a little about what you had, I'm curious about what else is good on the menu.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946